Opinion The 'Carlton related stuff that doesn't need it's own thread' thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
12870_resized_broken_lp.png

The ground work for Hawks was done by Dunstall, he is the one that stripped it all back. Kennett was the mouth piece

Presidents come in all forms and work to their strengths, not their limitations

Agree Dunstall did (and probably still does) a great job at Hawthorn, he has even done short interim stints as CEO.

Unfortunately all our ex-players that have involved themselves in the administration or at Board level have not proven up to the task.

Great footballers don’t necessarily make great administrators or coaches.

Jury is still out on Judd’s involvement at Board Level, I hope he proves the exception.

Well what are MarkNoGuidance strengths then?

I'd bet if he walked past a lot of Carlton members they'd not even recognise him on the street.

Whatever he's doing now isn't working because fans are starting to get pissed off and losing faith in the club and it's it's message.

What isn't working?

Over 2 and a bit years ago, he stated that we would untertake a full rebuild, for the first time in the club's history. Which we are doing

Membership is up

We have the best young talent i have seen at the club in 2 decades

What would you like him to say?

"We expected this year to be tough, but given the horrendous run of injuries, our results in terms of win/loss should not be un indication of where we are heading as a club"

Would anything change?

Agree Dunstall did (and probably still does) a great job at Hawthorn, he has even done short interim stints as CEO.

Unfortunately all our ex-players that have involved themselves in the administration or at Board level have not proven up to the task.

Great footballers don’t necessarily make great administrators or coaches.

Jury is still out on Judd’s involvement at Board Level, I hope he proves the exception.

I think Judd will force some change within the board, which is needed, even if it is the mindset

What isn't working?

Over 2 and a bit years ago, he stated that we would untertake a full rebuild, for the first time in the club's history. Which we are doing

Membership is up

We have the best young talent i have seen at the club in 2 decades

What would you like him to say?

"We expected this year to be tough, but given the horrendous run of injuries, our results in terms of win/loss should not be un indication of where we are heading as a club"

Would anything change?

I'd like him to come out and say the way the players played on the weekend made me question if they have any pride in the jumper.

Every week there's the same 3-4 players who give their all and the rest like the President show about as much passion as a cold dead fish.

As for memberships I have no faith that we have a legit 55k of full members. Thats the figure that counts. Not all these Mickey Mouse memberships.

We have 2 elite young players, the jury is out on the rest. They certainly aren't any better than any of the other clubs young talent outside of Cripps and Curnow.

We laid out a plan and we're sticking to it, we don't need the club responding to naive fans/media who don't have perspective everytime we lose a game.

We didn't just lose a game, we got destroyed by the second last team. Having sat at the Freo game and watched a similar garbage performance as fans we don't have to accept that quietly.

The naive fans are the ones that buy into the idea that those in charge actually know what they are doing. Maybe they do, maybe they don't. Doesn't mean they get a free pass when utter insipid performances like those on the weekend occur.

Just because someone lays out a plan does not mean it is working.

We've won one game FFS. Not good enough.

I'd like him to come out and say the way the players played on the weekend made me question if they have any pride in the jumper.

Every week there's the same 3-4 players who give their all and the rest like the President show about as much passion as a cold dead fish.

As for memberships I have no faith that we have a legit 55k of full members. Thats the figure that counts. Not all these Mickey Mouse memberships.

We have 2 elite young players, the jury is out on the rest. They certainly aren't any better than any of the other clubs young talent outside of Cripps and Curnow.

Let me understand this

You want him to come out and bag the playing group for losing when we had half our best 22 out and in game injuries

State that only 3-4 players play with any passion

That membership numbers are a scam

And that SOS is putting together a mediocre list

Have i got that right? The message i mean, not the actual words

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We didn't just lose a game, we got destroyed by the second last team. Having sat at the Freo game and watched a similar garbage performance as fans we don't have to accept that quietly.

The naive fans are the ones that buy into the idea that those in charge actually know what they are doing. Maybe they do, maybe they don't. Doesn't mean they get a free pass when utter insipid performances like those on the weekend occur.

M-Lo was on the back page of the Herald Sun with Bolts after the Freo loss and he looked stern and determined. If you want to wheel him out after every loss I dare say he will need to quit his day job. What Mr_Plow said his spot on, I would add let's measure M-Lo and SOS and Bolton for that matter next year when the fruits of the rebuild should at least start to become apparent. Jumping off the boat mid course is a guaranteed way to fail in the rebuild.

We're in a perfect storm with injuries and the lowest point of our age profile. Everybody wants to win every week, but the reality is we need to be patient. Next year will be tough too, but they're doing what they said they'd do, I have faith we're on the right path. Sure, the club will make mistakes, but far out, you'd think they were committing human rights abuses just by reading this board. Step back and stop focusing so week to week and see the big picture, it's better for the heart, trust me.

Board members, especially Presidents, who meddle in operational matters can GAGF, that is how dodgy crap gets done and direction is lost. No plan can be followed if the goal posts are changed according to the whim of a reactionary president.

Boards are there to set an agenda, look after governance and employ a CEO and other staff to make it happen. They also seek feedback from those running the club and enquire into areas not performing as expected.

The Board reserves the right to sack senior staff who are not meeting targets or showing progress towards them.

If they want to run day to day operations, they should not be on the Board.

As for the President needing to make comments every time the media has a brain fart or a supporter demands to hear something because performance is down (and they won’t listen to a clear explanation of why from the CEO or one of the board members who is the media), no thanks.

Board members, especially Presidents, who meddle in operational matters can GAGF, that is how dodgy crap gets done and direction is lost. No plan can be followed if the goal posts are changed according to the whim of a reactionary president.

Boards are there to set an agenda, look after governance and employ a CEO and other staff to make it happen. They also seek feedback from those running the club and enquire into areas not performing as expected.

Then perhaps his hiring skills are the issue.

The Board reserves the right to sack senior staff who are not meeting targets or showing progress towards them.

If they want to run day to day operations, they should not be on the Board.

As for the President needing to make comments every time the media has a brain fart or a supporter demands to hear something because performance is down (and they won’t listen to a clear explanation of why from the CEO or one of the board members who is the media), no thanks.

And that's the issue. He's been President since 2015, people HAVE been patient and been more than fair in letting him get away with hardly being seen despite all the s**t that's been going on.

2018 season is nearly over and it's been an abject failure. We have one ******* win to show for it so far. If now isn't the time to come out and speak to the fans as the leader of the club then there's no time in this guys mind that we need to be hearing from him.

We're in a perfect storm with injuries and the lowest point of our age profile. Everybody wants to win every week, but the reality is we need to be patient. Next year will be tough too, but they're doing what they said they'd do, I have faith we're on the right path. Sure, the club will make mistakes, but far out, you'd think they were committing human rights abuses just by reading this board. Step back and stop focusing so week to week and see the big picture, it's better for the heart, trust me.

We're in the perfect storm for bring in utter s**t players too. You're wrong people want to win each week, people accept a loss if there's effort and purpose.

This season bar a few games has been filled with awful football and no "big picture" detracts from the fact that going forward we aren't assured that the football department know what they are doing. No way in hell have they earned that luxury yet.

Just because you have faith they will prove to be right doesn't mean others can't view the same situation and not have faith they are capable of producing a GF challenging team.

M-Lo was on the back page of the Herald Sun with Bolts after the Freo loss and he looked stern and determined. If you want to wheel him out after every loss I dare say he will need to quit his day job. What Mr_Plow said his spot on, I would add let's measure M-Lo and SOS and Bolton for that matter next year when the fruits of the rebuild should at least start to become apparent. Jumping off the boat mid course is a guaranteed way to fail in the rebuild.

Don't need him out after every loss. But this game was one where he could have come out and opened his mouth.

Even if it's in support of Bolts. He's copping it left right and centre and the support of a President in more than just standing there looking "determined" and instead words would be more beneficial than detrimental.

I've not stated we get rid of him, I've asked to see what he's actually made of.

And that's the issue. He's been President since 2015, people HAVE been patient and been more than fair in letting him get away with hardly being seen despite all the s**t that's been going on.

2018 season is nearly over and it's been an abject failure. We have one ******* win to show for it so far. If now isn't the time to come out and speak to the fans as the leader of the club then there's no time in this guys mind that we need to be hearing from him.

Now i get it, this is about our win loss ratio

Great organisations that undertake this level of change, do not look at short term results as a measure of development or future success.

They focus on whether the vision and process is being adhered too

By all means, audit and analyze, but the focus does not change

The current president didn’t hire McKay, he has let him go. Not sure too many would argue against the move.

The President runs the club including all the off field stuff, the footy department run the on field stuff. Don’t know how else to tell you, the President should not be commenting about on field performance in the media on a weekly or any other basis. They are welcome to talk about the process, the people running the show, but not about performance of players. That is the domain of the people hired to run the players and support staff.

The only exception would be if we win a grand final, then they can talk about how good the players are as much as they like.

Now i get it, this is about our win loss ratio

Nope, it's about HOW you lose a game. The loss to Geelong was admirable. The performances against Freo and Brisbane were abysmal.

Great organisations that undertake this level of change, do not look at short term results as a measure of development or future success.

They focus on whether the vision and process is being adhered too

By all means, audit and analyze, but the focus does not change

We are not a great organisation. When we were last great when it didn't involve cheating?

That's the time frame we're looking at as a club and fans.

The reason why we got into the s**t we dud because the fans didn't question the club until it was too late.

Today's club from the bottom to the to be held to far higher standards than those that came before and be far more accountable to the fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back