Opinion The 'Carlton related stuff that doesn't need it's own thread' thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont agree with this, anything after the first 2 rounds is pretty much a lottery. SOS has done pretty well considering
2015 - jack silvagni
2016 - macredie and williamson - both been injured but shown a lot of potential
2017 - TDK
2018 - Ben Silvagni

Yeah nah....its not easy to pick above average players with late picks but it certainly can be done consistently. We had muppets running the list management/recruitment areas for long periods of time who consistently blew good/great picks and then went and found hidden gems consistently in the deep dark depths of the draft ie Betts/Garlett/Casboult/Carazzo/Jacobs/Robinson/Fisher/Jamison/Armfield/Tuohy

I think it’s way more important to nail the better picks, but if you have both ends of the spectrum humming that puts you well in premiership contention.

i’ve written a bit about how this recruitment period and the next 3 are just as important as the first 4 years of the rebuild, considering how we monumentally fkd up the same corresponding period from 2010 to 2014 i don’t think i’m overstating it.

Do i think SOS has done a fantastic job from where we were, *ing oath he has. Do i think we have areas of improvement, absolutely.

The Deluca pick seems a bloody strange one, not sure why we bothered or just went and got the best kid available and had a bit of patience. It’s picks like this one where q’s should be raised and just highlight the lack of quality coming out of those later pickups.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Would be awfully embarrassing if we moved SOS on then made finals and thrived with the list he's put together.

Would hate to be judged on the basis he has not landed a mature age big fish. We're restricted to what big names we can get because we've filled a lot of spots with highly rated youth from the draft so we can't just go get anyone for the sake of it.

We've been a bottom side that has only shown something until the back end of this season. All of a sudden players want to come but there have been extreme moves out of our control to stop them coming to us.

As far as I am concerned if the youngsters really come on next year and we have mature age talent wanting to come to us then it would be madness to even consider moving SOS on. Unless he's doing something poorly we don't know about that is but I doubt that.

Would be extremely disappointed if it is true as the article states that SOS had others interfering during trade period.

Have we not learnt anything from past mistakes? Not happy with this news at all.

What more could SOS have done during his time.

Let him do his job that he is employed to do, Cain!

I can't fathom how anyone could have interfered. Did SOS want to offer more for Papley and Martin? If so, that would have been wrong.

Maybe he didn't want one of them and was forced to go after them? Maybe he wanted to follow the Wines lead and drop the Papley trade?

If anyone interfered to our detriment, they should go, not SOS.

Maybe he is a build kind of list manager and not a maintain one.

It wouldn't surprise me if SOS himself enjoys the challenge of building a list from the bottom up as he did with both GWS
and ourselves.

He has been in his position for 5 years now and maybe for a number of different reasons it's time for him to move on. I think we all appreciate him doing the job he's been paid to do for us at a high level, something we never had before. We are certainly in a better place for having had him at the club.

SOS has played an integral part in our rebuild but he has been one part of the puzzle, no single person has been responsible
for how far we have come over the past few years.

If it’s between SOS and Liddle who both have done an excellent job.

I’m choosing SOS, Liddle can take a hike

For where we are right now I think Liddle is the most important person at the club , more so than the list manager and even the coach.

The Deluca pick seems a bloody strange one, not sure why we bothered or just went and got the best kid available and had a bit of patience. It’s picks like this one where q’s should be raised and just highlight the lack of quality coming out of those later pickups.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If we had taken Pickett and given him one game and the Tigers gave Deluca 6 games, there would be even more discussion about how we ****ed up the pick.

Pickett was in the right place at the right time, doesn’t make either pick a success or failure, only a longer term assessment should be made.

Any one of 500+ AFL listed players could have contributed what Pickett did in a dominant side on GF day. Doesn’t make his selection proof that other clubs got theirs wrong.

I agree but sos is Carlton royalty and came to us at a time when we were rock bottom and built us up to where we are now. I’m loyal to sos so Liddle can gtfo
I understand and respect the contribution that the Silvagni's have made to Carlton. I am fortunate enough to remember the last few years of Serge's career, saw SOS play from his debut until his last game and now the start of Jacks career.

Regardless, my loyalty will always be more to the club than any individual. Whatever happens in this case won't change the standing of the Silvagni name at Carlton.

Is he? Wasn't he drafted as a forward?
So was Jones and maybe that is the player that Ben will eventually replace. I don't think that there will be room for Ben in the forward line any time soon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we had taken Pickett and given him one game and the Tigers gave Deluca 6 games, there would be even more discussion about how we f’ed up the pick.

Pickett was in the right place at the right time, doesn’t make either pick a success or failure, only a longer term assessment should be made.

Any one of 500+ AFL listed players could have contributed what Pickett did in a dominant side on GF day. Doesn’t make his selection proof that other clubs got theirs wrong.

We had first pick of the mature or top age talent that missed out in the last series of drafts, doesn’t matter who it is, the pick should be lasting more than 4 months on the list.

I like the fact that SOS doesn’t fk around in the hope a player comes good, we used to be world champions at doing that. Keep turning the list over is a good thing, however, there needs to be a better hit ratio for 4th rounder in the ND and above

If we had taken Pickett and given him one game and the Tigers gave Deluca 6 games, there would be even more discussion about how we f’ed up the pick.

Teague didn't say anything about drafting Pickett, he intimated drafting a kid and having patience with him, what I also think we should have done. Having said that, there was more talk pre-draft of Pickett than there was of Deluca, the latter screams of the type of 'safe' pick you draft in the rookie draft when all the ulucky 18 Y/Os have run out. The midseason draft offers you a chance to take the best 'over age' player not on an AFL list in the country, I don't think Deluca was that.

We had first pick of the mature or top age talent that missed out in the last series of drafts, doesn’t matter who it is, the pick should be lasting more than 4 months on the list.

I like the fact that SOS doesn’t fk around in the hope a player comes good, we used to be world champions at doing that. Keep turning the list over is a good thing, however, there needs to be a better hit ratio for 4th rounder in the ND and above
We can offer him a rookie spot. My gut be trying to free up a space for a DFA, time will tell.

Teague didn't say anything about drafting Pickett, he intimated drafting a kid and having patience with him, what I also think we should have done. Having said that, there was more talk pre-draft of Pickett than there was of Deluca, the latter screams of the type of 'safe' pick you draft in the rookie draft when all the ulucky 18 Y/Os have run out. The midseason draft offers you a chance to take the best 'over age' player not on an AFL list in the country, I don't think Deluca was that.
Deluca played six times more games than Pickett. Can’t be arguing that SOS has a poor strike rate with late picks and also complain when he takes a safe pick that got far more game time.

My point was, SOS will get criticism whichever choice he makes because the other guy is now a premiership player, purely for being in the right team at the right time.

SOS has brought professionalism to our list management that we haven’t had this century. It wasn’t just our recruitment that was bad, we seemed to be clueless on player contracts and list management as a whole. There has been an obvious positive shift in this regard since he has arrived at the club. We seemed to have ramped up our recruitment team since Liddle has arrived. We are building a list that has the potential to be genuine threats for many years and it would be a shame to see SOS move on so soon.

He’s been a smart operator that has taken advantage of salary dumps and academy points system to help boost our rebuild.

It must be difficult having sons at the club. I know we can delegate certain tasks to try avoid it, but really it is a conflict that would play on his mind. I just hope it’s his decision and that his replacement can continue in the same manner.

Is he? Wasn't he drafted as a forward?

Yes by all accounts Ben has done a decent job as a key back this past season and may even show enough to play a few senior games in 2020. As someone else mentioned he’s the likely Jones replacement when the time comes. So Ben has time on his side to get the basics right and learn the game in the seconds. But he seems to have done better in his first season with Northern than expected. So we will have two Silvagnis on the list for a few more years. Not sure if we will get to three though.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yes by all accounts Ben has done a decent job as a key back this past season and may even show enough to play a few senior games in 2020. As someone else mentioned he’s the likely Jones replacement when the time comes. So Ben has time on his side to get the basics right and learn the game in the seconds. But he seems to have done better in his first season with Northern than expected. So we will have two Silvagnis on the list for a few more years. Not sure if we will get to three though.

I loved what I heard Jack say about Ben... I can't remember in which video it was (I watch all of them) but his brother said how he's sick of playing in the 2s and I immediately thought yep that's the attitude we need just a guy who knows he's better than this league and he's really just waiting on weight and body size to do what's he's born to do. Will learn his craft in the meantime but I am excited to here he's doing well... I also love the way he talks in his interviews. The Silvagni boys seem like they are not phased in the slightest. Almost slow of mind but you can tell they are quick witted. I don't think I've seen any other character in the AFL quite like them. I reckon their dad has ruled over them with absolute authority as the absolute alpha male (and you see it in SOS in every interaction) and you'd never dream of stepping out of line but as they take to the field and start to find themselves on the field away from their dad that character will start to become them. 90% above the shoulders. Get me in the seniors.

I loved what I heard Jack say about Ben... I can't remember in which video it was (I watch all of them) but his brother said how he's sick of playing in the 2s and I immediately thought yep that's the attitude we need just a guy who knows he's better than this league and he's really just waiting on weight and body size to do what's he's born to do. Will learn his craft in the meantime but I am excited to here he's doing well... I also love the way he talks in his interviews. The Silvagni boys seem like they are not phased in the slightest. Almost slow of mind but you can tell they are quick witted. I don't think I've seen any other character in the AFL quite like them. I reckon their dad has ruled over them with absolute authority as the absolute alpha male (and you see it in SOS in every interaction) and you'd never dream of stepping out of line but as they take to the field and start to find themselves on the field away from their dad that character will start to become them. 90% above the shoulders. Get me in the seniors.

Yep and what I love most about Jack is he gives 100% week in week out and his second and third efforts are a sight to behold. Not as talented or as quick as others but he wills himself to the contest. You can pretty much count on Cripps, Ed and Jack to put in the effort every contest every game. Doch will when he’s back and Jones almost always too and Walsh is the energizer bunny.

Ed, Jack and Jones are exciting to watch because they aren’t as talented as the others so I can relate to them more and they punch above their class. With these three plus Cripps, Doch and Walsh setting the example for the rest of the team we are in good hands on the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back