Opinion The 'Carlton related stuff that doesn't need it's own thread' thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 11, 2005
Queensland
AFL Club
Carlton
My guess: Their list is in very good shape so they can 'afford' to invest in higher risk maybe higher return players. Our list is a few years behind the tuggers in development - so the risk of introducing a 'bad boy' is probably deemed too high. Thomas was apparently let go because of his off field antics - is a pretty good indicator of Carlton's tolerance for indiscretions at this stage of Club development.
Spot on. Hawthorn & Geelong were able to do the same thing when at their peak. The Hawks thought they could reform Dayle Garlett. They failed but this didn't hurt them, they just continued on their way. If our club tries this & fails, it reverberates throughout the club.

btdg

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
Shiel hardly made a middle of the road team in Essington any better, so i am not sorry at all we missed out on him.

They jumped from 11th to 8th despite having a rough injury run

It’s not just Shiel though. It’s Shiel, Conglio, Papley, Martin... or its 3/4 better rookie picks or veteran trades.

Whatever would have rounded out our rebuild so that we didn’t somehow have guys like Polson, Finbar, Macreadie, etc. on the list after 5 years.

BIGGUS 64

Premiership Player
Feb 3, 2014
Greensborough
AFL Club
Carlton
Not a fan of Caro but that's not what is happening here, look at Barass' comment. Caro has some insight in this instance.

Until there's some actual substance, like a statement from SOS or the club, it's all just rumor-mongering as far as I'm concerned. On a footy forum like this, it's acceptable. From a high-profile journo like Caro, not so much. What "insight?" Did she mention her source?

Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
Spot on. Hawthorn & Geelong were able to do the same thing when at their peak. The Hawks thought they could reform Dayle Garlett. They failed but this didn't hurt them, they just continued on their way. If our club tries this & fails, it reverberates throughout the club.

On your last sentence. If we invited Bennel to train with us, like we have with Deluca and he screws up, and we boot him. What would exactly reverberate through the club? In that instance I fail to see the risk.

I remember Garlett and that was a risk but I didn’t see much risk with Stack or Pickett, so much of this so called risk seems to be about, ooohhhhhhh what will the media say, or , what will the sponsors think, if we pick up an ex crim and not really about the football or the effect it has on the playing group.

Until there's some actual substance, like a statement from SOS or the club, it's all just rumor-mongering as far as I'm concerned. On a footy forum like this, it's acceptable. From a high-profile journo like Caro, not so much. What "insight?" Did she mention her source?
why would/should she mention her source?

why would/should she mention her source?
If she doesn’t want to reveal it publicly, she should at least PM a Mod who can confirm her credibility.

Nov 11, 2005
Queensland
AFL Club
Carlton
On your last sentence. If we invited Bennel to train with us, like we have with Deluca and he screws up, and we boot him. What would exactly reverberate through the club? In that instance I fail to see the risk.

I remember Garlett and that was a risk but I didn’t see much risk with Stack or Pickett, so much of this so called risk seems to be about, ooohhhhhhh what will the media say, or , what will the sponsors think, if we pick up an ex crim and not really about the football or the effect it has on the playing group.
Recent history at our club shows that media noise, not to mention powerbroker influence leads to coaches being sacked, players being delisted & question marks over board members/the president.

The recent trade period not going our way has already seen SOS' future at the club questioned. Daisy's mid-season misdemeanour, played out in the footy & social media would appear to have contributed to his delisting despite a really strong season onfield. Our poor start to the season ultimately led to the demise of Bolts & saw the pressure ramped up on MLG.

Hindsight recruiting would see all 18 clubs going after Stack & to a lesser extent Pickett however 'in the moment' recruiting saw both these players overlooked by all 18 clubs in both the National & Rookie drafts. Stack was a good get for the Tiggies, but I'm far from convinced that Pickett will last the distance at Punt Rd. As a team with a premiership already under their belt, a strong system in place (similar to the Hawks & Cats before them) & depth on their list (their VFL team won this year's premiership & have been strong for a few years now) they can afford to burn a couple of list spots in the pursuit of a couple of diamonds in the rough. We are yet to reach that position, but I'm hoping we are only a couple of years from being there.

Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
Recent history at our club shows that media noise, not to mention powerbroker influence leads to coaches being sacked, players being delisted & question marks over board members/the president.

The recent trade period not going our way has already seen SOS' future at the club questioned. Daisy's mid-season misdemeanour, played out in the footy & social media would appear to have contributed to his delisting despite a really strong season onfield. Our poor start to the season ultimately led to the demise of Bolts & saw the pressure ramped up on MLG.

Hindsight recruiting would see all 18 clubs going after Stack & to a lesser extent Pickett however 'in the moment' recruiting saw both these players overlooked by all 18 clubs in both the National & Rookie drafts. Stack was a good get for the Tiggies, but I'm far from convinced that Pickett will last the distance at Punt Rd. As a team with a premiership already under their belt, a strong system in place (similar to the Hawks & Cats before them) & depth on their list (their VFL team won this year's premiership & have been strong for a few years now) they can afford to burn a couple of list spots in the pursuit of a couple of diamonds in the rough. We are yet to reach that position, but I'm hoping we are only a couple of years from being there.

I love a bit of hindsight recruiting and I agree with your last paragraph. On your first two though, it paints a picture, that we the club, are the risk/problem and that we may not be free from the crap we think we are.

Nov 11, 2005
Queensland
AFL Club
Carlton
I love a bit of hindsight recruiting and I agree with your last paragraph. On your first two though, it paints a picture, that we the club, are the risk/problem and that we may not be free from the crap we think we are.
Our club is still very fragile. This comes with not having enjoyed success for so long. Premierships can make for a great distraction when your underbelly is not what it seems. Infighting, player behaviour issues etc don't gain much traction when all is looking rosy on the surface (e.g. Collingwood circa 2010/11). In contrast these issues are seen as contributing factors to a lack of success, when the lack of success is mostly like the result of a list either lacking talent or being poorly balanced. In these circumstances a pre-season misdemeanour by Fasolo & a mid-season misdemeanour by Daisy are easily magnified into more than what they really are in the scheme of how the club is performing on-field (Daisy of course was part of the 'rat pack' at Collingwood whose misdemeanours became less of an issue once success returned to the club).

Kreuz Control

Team Captain
Jul 26, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Well, she doesn't have to. But without any kind of proof, such as a credible source, it's just rumor or gossip. That was my point.

As a journo, you start mentioning your sources and those sources stop speaking one would think. The proof is in the pudding.

Edit: Just saw the post above saying the same thing

BIGGUS 64

Premiership Player
Feb 3, 2014
Greensborough
AFL Club
Carlton
As we know, there are different kinds of articles. If it's a genuine news article it is giving us facts and therefore should be based on reliable sources of information such as eye witnesses.
Then you get things like opinion pieces and gossip columns. These are more like persuasive pieces or personal essays. It helps to try to sound credible by quoting "statistics" or hinting at some anonymous source, but really the writer could be just pulling it out of their bum for all we know.

To me, Caro's articles generally fall into the latter category. Sorry guys, that's just my opinion.

so I'm tracking back through the texts between myself and hbf looking for his address cause I'm going there for coffee & donuts later today and I see this text sent by me dated sunday april 20, 2014 11:53 AM - ellard out menzel in.............fmd...........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back