Analysis The Case for a Priority Pick

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heading into the back half of the season, no doubt this conversation is going to pick up shortly. Trying as hard as possible to remove my Brisbane bias, I really do believe there is an overwhelmingly strong case for a start of first round priority pick this year. These are the two main reasons:

1. Comparison to other Priority Picks handed out in the past
Here is a list of each start of first round priority pick given out since the year 2000, along with the number of wins and average percentage that each club had from the prior four seasons (the season they received the pick as well as the three seasons preceding that year). The order is by most wins the team had in the four years leading up to the start of first round PP.

For Brisbane, I have included from season 2014 to where we currently sit halfway through season 2017. Obviously we may win more games this season and the average percentage from the past four years may rise, but this is accurate as of our 2017 Bye.

The chart also shows how many start of first round priority picks that club has received since the year 2000.
Screen Shot 2017-06-04 at 4.53.06 am.png
I'm aware that the rules have changed both in 2006 and in 2012 regarding priority picks, and that a number of the teams on this list received their priority picks under a much more generous system, however the point remains that at present we have by far the strongest argument for a start of first round priority pick of any of these clubs who have received one, yet we have never been given one at any stage.

The comparison to Melbourne of 2013 is often used - if they didn't get one that year, how could any club? It's not really a fair comparison though, as Melbourne had received two start of first round priority picks in the preceding ten years.

2. Players we've lost
Obviously we have lost a number of our young players over recent years and look set to lose another in Schache, and in almost all of these scenarios we have received less for the players than we initially drafted them for (bar Yeo, who was showing signs that he was really worth a fair bit more than we drafted him for).

Due to the quantity of players leaving at once, the lack of bargaining power we had with them being out of contract and nominating clubs, and the fact we had to accept whatever we could as they had all made their minds up to leave meant we really suffered in terms of what it did to our list quality.

This table is the players we've lost over recent years and what the differential of quality we received in return for them was in terms of draft points.
Screen Shot 2017-06-04 at 4.26.58 am.png
Essentially, that means we lost a total of 3668 draft points with those young players. That alone is equivalent to pick 1 & 29.

Summary
So we've never received a start of first round priority pick despite having the strongest case on field for one and also having lost the equivalent of picks 1 & 29 in terms of overall quality from our list due to player retention issues.

There are further in depth points that could be made to argue this, namely:
-Overall quality of our list by draft points
-Number of years spent out of the top 8 (round 1, 2012 being the last time we even had a cameo there)
-We've played just one finals campaign in thirteen years
-At the start of last season we lost one of our most promising young players to early retirement due to concussion
-We had to attempt part of our major list build in compromised drafts, being at the bottom of the ladder at the same time Gold Coast & GWS were given many picks to build their lists. This meant that what usually would have been earlier picks for us as a result of our finishing position were pushed back, further weakening the quality of the list we have now in comparison with the rest of the competition.
-In refer 'we created this mess, we should have to clean it up' argument as a reason we don't deserve a pick, it's worth pointing out that essentially every club who has ever received a priority pick created their own mess. Carlton (who have received three start of first round priority picks) received them after a salary cap breach. Melbourne got theirs from tanking.

So to compare this to the criteria the AFL currently sets out for priority picks:
  • premiership points that a club has received over a period of years (with greater weight to recent seasons) As in the first table posted, we are in a very bad way in this regard
  • a club's percentage (points for/points against x 100) over a period of years (another indication of on-field competitiveness, with greater weight to recent seasons) Also see table 1
  • any finals appearances that a club has made in recent seasons None since 2009, 1 in the last 13 years
  • any premierships that a club has won in recent seasons Three in the early 2000's, but that was well over a decade ago now
  • a club's injury rates in each relevant season It couldn't be argued that our poor form is due to injuries, with our injury list being not significantly worse than that of any other club
I'm evidently quite strongly of the belief that this isn't just a fair argument for a start of first round priority pick, but the closest thing the competition will likely ever see to an irrefutable case.

We're rebuilding and will be for a while yet, but we need a massive injection of talent onto our list if we're ever going to build to be competitive again. There's already some talent on the list, but all of these factors paint a picture of just how far behind we're coming from and how poor the quality of our list has become.

Great write up and research PK, if we don't get one this year I can see the AFL just wiping the PP all together. IMO a best case scenario for us this season is 3 wins, looking at the draw if we don't beat the Dockers next weekend there is no other winnable game until round 18 v the Blues.

Round 12 Sat 10 Jun 4:35pm Dockers Gabba Possible win.
Round 13 Sat 17 Jun 4:35pm Power Adelaide Oval
Round 14 Sat 24 Jun 4:35pm Giants Gabba
Round 15 Sun 2 Jul 1:10pm Bombers Etihad Stadium
Round 16 Sat 8 Jul 7:25pm Cats Gabba
Round 17 Sun 16 Jul 1:10pm Tigers Etihad Stadium
Round 18 Sun 23 Jul 4:40pm Blues Gabba Possible win.
Round 19 Sun 30 Jul 2:40pm Eagles Domain Stadium
Round 20 Sat 5 Aug 4:35pm Bulldogs Gabba
Round 21 Sat 12 Aug 4:35pm Suns Gabba Possible win.
Round 22 Sun 20 Aug 1:10pm Demons MCG
Round 23 Sun 27 Aug 8:00pm Kangaroos Gabba

Also of note is that we are creeping up on our worst losing streak since the Bears were formed we currently sit in 3rd and our 2 longest losing streaks (since the merger) have come in the previous 2 seasons. Worst losing streaks below.

12 Sydney R20,1990 to Richmond R10,1991.
12 Western Bulldogs R05,2016 to Greater Western Sydney R17,2016.
11 Brisbane Lions Essendon R08,2015 to Gold Coast R19,2015.
9 Brisbane Lions Essendon R02,2017 to Collingwood R10,2017.

Last edited:

Very broadly, we have been terrible for a number of years and look likely to only get another 1 or 2 wins this season. I can't see anything at this stage that leads me to believe next year will be a hell of a lot different.

2010 - 7 wins - 13th - Essendon, Richmond and West Coast below us.
2011 - 4 wins - 15th - Port Adelaide (and Gold Coast) below us.
2012 - 10 wins - 13th - Port Adelaide, Western Bulldogs, Melbourne (Gold Coast and GWS) below us.
2013 - 10 wins - 12th - West Coast, Western Bulldogs, St Kilda, Melbourne (Gold Coast and GWS) below us.
2014 - 7 wins - 15th - Melbourne and St Kilda (GWS) below us.
2015 - 4 wins - 17th - Carlton below us.
2016 - 3 wins - 17th - Essendon below us (with most of their list banned, they only came 18th by 0.6%).
2017 projected finish - 1 or 2 wins - 18th - no one below us

Look at the teams who have been below us on the table and where they are at now. Some are towards the top of the table or are pushing the 8. Brisbane are still down the bottom and look to have another 3-4 years of cellar dwelling until we are competitive with the 8.

If Gill the Dill is reading this I am sure he will tell us there is nothing to see or worry about here, sit back and be generally pleased people.

With the new FA rules bound to come in making player movement even easier we can sit back in contentment and be comfortably satisfied with our place in the AFL landscape as the number 1 feeder team in the competition. If the big 10 Victorian clubs are strong all is well with the world, Hey Gill the Dill.

Afl won't come at it two years running , and we traded the last one didn't we ? , no show I reckon

As I have said before, IMO the pick 1 & 2 is dead. And rightly so - never liked it. What we should be aiming for, and what IMO is appropriate is a pick before the finalists. 1, 11 & 19.

This we can sell to the powers that be - AFL House and the Victorian clubs.

As I have said before, IMO the pick 1 & 2 is dead. And rightly so - never liked it. What we should be aiming for, and what IMO is appropriate is a pick before the finalists. 1, 11 & 19.

This we can sell to the powers that be - AFL House and the Victorian clubs.

I think selling anything of this kind is a lost cause. AFL just need to do it.

Absolutely dreaming thinking afl going to give us anything. We should of been given pick 3 at the very least last year but 19 was an insult and further emphasised they didn't want to give us anything that would tick the Victorian clubs off . They will say we add to the quality of our list with likely pick 1 , Hanley first rounder , balandeen plus our second rounder which likely to be 20. The fact that schache will bugger off is irrelevant to the afl

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally I hope we don't get one because-

1) We come out after the bye and Fagan's game plan starts to click and we win 4-5 games in the 2nd half of the season including a massive upset win v the table topping Giants at the gabba in round 14.
2) Josh Schache, Tom Rockliff, Nick Robertson, Dan McStay and Ben Keays hold a joint presser prior to the Dockers game that they have all signed contract extensions.
3) New administration/training/AFLW base officially announced.
4) Hugh McCluggage, Jarrod Berry, Cedric Cox and Alex Witherden earn rising start nominations.

Edit- (thanks briztoon ) 5) McCluggage, Cox and Witherden join Berry in signing contract extensions to the end of 2020.

:)

Last edited:
Of players lost, we should have argued that losing Justin Clarke our 10 year fullback should have deserved a priority pick, yet this never came up in our application for PP last year.

Gill said that priority picks can be awarded in exceptional circumstances such as player death. Well Justin is still healthy and around, but in terms of loss to our club it is no different.

Good analysis Pattyk. There will be no point watching us in the next 5 years if we have our top talent leave and end up with more Lester type players. I don't watch as many of ours or games in general now, feels like our club is being left to rot.

The NSW & OLD teams are a big reason why the TV rights $$$ are so big. You can't grow the game if both OLD teams are pathetic to watch for 10 years and we're halfway to that now. We've got the staff in place and a training ground on the way so now we just need the talent. Should be a pick after our 1st at best, at worst a middle 1st round. Won't be surprised to see us left to rot a little more.

Still think we should get a free hit at an academy player. Mentioned it a few months ago and still think it would help us the most.

Pick 2 versus the equivalent of pick (say) 8 or 9, who we'd get anyway?

I think the priority pick would clearly help us more. However the free hit might be more palatable politically.

I believe the Lions should receive a priority pick.
I don't believe the AFL shares that view, nor that it will happen. The priority pick is something that the AFL would prefer to be completely rid of but have retained as a "In case of emergency, break glass" backstop. The PP of the 2000s was an equalisation measure which gave a boost to the shittiest teams. It was a disincentive for some who weren't ready to improve and so they took away automatic gifting of it. Now the league has implemented other equalisation methods, the PP will well and truly be kept for the most extreme disasters (eg 2 of our strongest talents would have to leave us this year).
What I think the AFL sees when they look at our situation;
  • Some very exciting young talent.
  • Pick one already, to build on that, as well as another first round pick.
  • Financial assistance already given and ongoing.
  • The securing of Fagan & Noble, only having had one season to do anything meaningful.
  • Possible finance/plans contribution to new training and admin facility.
  • PP given to us last year was our shot.
I know that is not how we as supporters see our situation, but I believe that is how we are externally viewed, particularly by the AFL, and they are very reluctant for the PP means of assistance. They'd rather eradicate PP from the game entirely, but concede the occasional use is necessary. As far as they're concerned we got a pick and new coach/admin last year, and we just need time for that all to work.
There are no precedents to be considered here, as any previous examples were prior to the current PP system of consideration.

Good analysis Mr. Kwasagun

Melbourne have been the consensus worst side of recent times.

Melbourne
'07 - 5 wins (78.16%)
'08 - 3 wins (62.61%)
'09 - 4 wins (74.66%) *tanking allegations
'10 - 8 wins (94.52%)
'11 - 8 wins (85.27%)
'12 - 4 wins (67.49%)
'13 - 2 wins (54.07%)
'14 - 4 wins (68.4%)
'15 - 7 wins (77.0%)
'16 - 10 wins (97.6%)
ave. wins - 5.5 (75.97% ave.)

Brisbane
'08 - 10 wins (98.0%)
'09 - 13 wins (106.72%)
'10 - 7 wins (82.25%)
'11 - 4 wins (80.98%)
'12 - 10 wins (91.01%)
'13 - 10 wins (89.65%)
'14 - 7 wins (69.3%)
'15 - 4 wins (67.5%)
'16 - 3 wins (61.6%)
'17 - 1 win to the bye (64.0%)
ave. wins - 6.8 (81.10% ave.)

Brisbane as bad as we've been in the last couple of seasons can't be accused of tanking (rd 21 2016 Carlton - 4 pts; rd 23 2015 Bulldogs - 8pts). Brisbane's history of late wins that mean nothing goes back a lot further than this. Contrast this to Melbourne during the Dean Bailey/Chris Connolly era which have serious doubts over the motivation for which they picked and set-up their sides.

Another year down the bottom next year (which looks likely given our list age) and we are quickly catching that horrible Melbourne side of the last decade. All this without the top end PP's that they received.

Brisbane have bolstered their Coaching panel and footy dept at the request of the AFL so development of talent should should be a lower risk.

Talent:

Brisbane 4 top 10's and 2 (11-20)
Melbourne 11 top 10's and 3 (11-20)
Carlton 11 top 10's and 6 (11-20)

Talent is not everything as the likes of Bulldogs and Sydney have proven in recent times but as we're seeing with Melbourne's improvement and the competitiveness of Carlton aswell it sure helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back