List Mgmt. Morning, Joe! (was The Daniher (Probably Mega-)thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

If he walks to the draft for nothing because Brisbane insist on band 2 compo and nothing more -
Essendon lose pick 24 approx (the horror!)
Brisbane lose a player that might get them to a premiership.
So therefore we wouldn’t be losing anything.
Can’t lose what’s not yours to begin with.

The pick may not be a high one but in their current situation Bombers need all the picks they can get. I can't imagine the fan base would be happy with losing Daniher for nothing even a pick around 20. Could be the straw that breaks Dodoro's back..

Quick Q, in regards to the PSD we can basically front end his contract to put off other clubs? Is this what Carlton did with Martin last year?

Edit: This would be done after telling Dodoro to go stick any notion of a trade.

The pick may not be a high one but in their current situation Bombers need all the picks they can get. I can't imagine the fan base would be happy with losing Daniher for nothing even a pick around 20. Could be the straw that breaks Dodoro's back..

I can probably talk more for how the Essendon fan base might react than you as a Brisbane supporter. And I can tell you I support Dodoro doing whatever he can to get a reasonable return for Daniher, and if that risks losing pick 24, with nothing better on offer, I support him.

It might be interesting to see how the Cameron move to Geelong plays out. McCartney, the equivalent of Dodoro, and Wells, the equivalent of Noble (or Ambrogio, whoever is pulling the strings).
The GWS CEO said on radio today that they will match and negotiate a trade, and indicated they would likely want 2 first round picks.
Will Wells respond with "Take the compo. We're not going to trade"?
Who will be seen to be "hard to deal with", and who will be seen as a reasonable party in both deals?
We'll see I guess.

Last edited:
I can probably talk more for how the Essendon fan base might react than you as a Brisbane supporter. And I can tell you I support Dodoro doing whatever he can to get a reasonable return for Daniher, and if that risks losing pick 24, with nothing better on offer, I support him.

It might be interesting to see how the Cameron move to Geelong plays out. McCartney, the equivalent of Dodoro, and Wells, the equivalent of Noble (or Ambrogio, whoever is pulling the strings).
The GWS CEO said on radio today that they will match and negotiate a trade, and indicated they would likely want 2 first round picks.
Who will be seen to be "hard to deal with", and who will be seen as a reasonable party in both deals?
We'll see I guess.
If a contracted B&F winner is worth picks 6 & 19, I'm not sure a free agent is worth 2 as well.

If a contracted B&F winner is worth picks 6 & 19, I'm not sure a free agent is worth 2 as well.

Cameron hasn't spent the last 3 years on the sidelines and is absolutely worth 2 first round picks as a result. If Daniher had played 18+ games in 2018-20, then his value would be closer to Cameron, even uncontracted.

But he hasn't, so he isn't worth two firsts, even two late ones, and he's not worth a top 10 pick out of contract.

I think the deal will end up as one of our firsts plus a sweetener, be it a player or a future second.

If he walks to the draft for nothing because Brisbane insist on band 2 compo and nothing more -

Pretty sure no other team will draft him, sends a very bad message to the rest of their team that they will draft someone up who doesn't want to play for them. How ever we have a reputation for paying fair odds in trades, like Geelong, and I am sure AD will get enough to save face; but nothing near last year.

How ever we have a reputation for paying fair odds in trades, like Geelong, and I am sure AD will get enough to save face.

That was the point of my post. Will you be reasonable and pay fair odds like Geelong?
Everyone calls Dodoro hard to deal with (for threatening to match etc.) - just like GWS are indicating they will do.
Everyone says Wells is a fair and reasonable trader, and you say Brisbane are too.
Brisbane have said "Take the compo, we won't trade". Will Wells do the same?
We'll see.

Pretty sure no other team will draft him, sends a very bad message to the rest of their team that they will draft someone up who doesn't want to play for them.
It's not like there's an example of a very good player but with injury worries making it to pick 30 in the draft by refusing to do physicals with any club other than the one he wants to get to.

Oh wait...

That was the point of my post. Will you be reasonable and pay fair odds like Geelong?
Everyone calls Dodoro hard to deal with (for threatening to match etc.) - just like GWS are indicating they will do.
Everyone says Wells is a fair and reasonable trader, and you say Brisbane are too.
Brisbane have said "Take the compo, we won't trade". Will Wells do the same?
We'll see.

You do understand all negotiations begin with ambit claims?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure the AFL will be willing to bend the rules for the bombers though. Could very easily still be plenty of bad blood there from the supplements saga.

It's just a hunch but I reckon they will unfortunately whether we like it or not. The AFL will want the Bombers to be successful given they are a huge heartland club. And at the moment they are a self inflicted basket case - and have been for way too long in some peoples eyes.

To be honest I won't be surprised if the AFL don't actually directly intervene at some stage if this behavior of self sabotage continues. It's not identical but think of their intervention with Swanny and us. They'll say they want "healthy successful clubs"...

No, you lost pick 9 and Sydney's 2020 first rounder last year when Dodoro knocked back that offer for whatever reason. Dodoro has already lost this trade and his hard-line stance is simply him trying to save face.

Actually they don’t, and if you believe they do you know very little about negotiation.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Actually, one of the 10 commandments is that Thou shall leak to Tom Browne that you are 'Only willing to do a deal if you get a high draft pick and a quality player.' This quality player may be one of their young top draft picks, or a contracted star to get the faithful really revved up.

Then, once you've wasted the first week of trade period you start negotiating and eventually land on the obvious compromise position you could have agreed in 5 minutes, leading to your adoring simps declaring you a genius for your bold strategy of demanding a first round pic and all australian quality player in return for your broken down player who can't wait to get out. This will also lead to the other half of your fanbase declaring you to be weak and starting petitions for your removal.

An absolute masterclass each year from Dodoro!

Last edited:
Yes, November 4-12.

So yeah, doubt we'll see much delay tactics given the short window. Clubs will want to get their s**t done as fast as possible as a delay could mean losing their target.

I still think we get Daniher as a FA.

When was the last time a player who nominated a club and then went to the PSD didn't go to that club?

By your flawed logic Essendon should be offering Daniher a contract equivalent to what would be band 1 but don't appear to be doing so.

When was the last time a player who nominated a club and then went to the PSD didn't go to that club?

By your flawed logic Essendon should be offering Daniher a contract equivalent to what would be band 1 but don't appear to be doing so.

McCarthy getting picked up by Port when he thought he was going to Richmond (IIRC).

Before that Stevens went to Carlton instead of Collingwood.

So not impossible but very rare.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back