List Mgmt. Morning, Joe! (was The Daniher (Probably Mega-)thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

That was the point of my post. Will you be reasonable and pay fair odds like Geelong?
Everyone calls Dodoro hard to deal with (for threatening to match etc.) - just like GWS are indicating they will do.
Everyone says Wells is a fair and reasonable trader, and you say Brisbane are too.
Brisbane have said "Take the compo, we won't trade". Will Wells do the same?
We'll see.
Look, there's a few here going perhaps a bit hard at "we won't trade" and "walk him to the draft". Lions have now come out pretty publicly saying we're very interested, so I don't believe that would happen, much as many Lions supporters would get a bit of savage joy at the idea (myself included).

At the end of the day though, Dodoro doesn't have a reputation that he's hard to deal with for threatening to match. He has that reputation because he pushes everything, and has no concern for ruining working relationships, if it gets him 1 cent more in a deal. I haven't always agreed with our list management team, and have sometimes thought we've overpaid for players, but at the end of the day, they've maintained good working relationships, so we're one of the first that other teams come to for pick swaps and the like, because we're happy with a win-win.

Dodoro doesn't have that relationship with other list managers, not for threatening to match, but things like declaring that Essendon want a top 10 pick plus a sweetener. I'll lay bets that even >50% of Essendon fans don't believe that this is a serious and reasonable demand given the last 3 years.

I wouldn't be surprised if Dodoro matches. And if he does, I reckon the Lions would trade. And then we'd end up at one of our first two picks, maybe with a late pick swap in your favour, given that Dodoro will scrounge every cent he can.

cant compare Cameron with Daniher.

Cameron is 100 per cent fit, Daniher is an unknown.

Essendon flogs thinking they deserve same are delusional. You get either band 2 or 3 or nothing. Dodoro ****ed up last season, should have taken the offer that the Swans brought forward. He's s**t at his job TBH. Imagine working for an organisation where they literally make it almost impossible for your to leave. What a s**t club, with s**t culture. Hope they fold.

I feel the difference on this trade is basically, Dodoro has a tendency to want to make other clubs suffer from the trades, as opposed to gaming the system so they both win.

I'm sure in his eyes he sees Brisbane losing a first round pick and trading later picks, is better for him then taking the compo and agreeing to a later pick swap that works for both teams.

I'm keen to get Danniher in, he's a good player with high upside and alot of risk, but reading the garbage spewed here by essendon supporters is already getting dull. Let's hope it's over quickly.

I feel the difference on this trade is basically, Dodoro has a tendency to want to make other clubs suffer from the trades, as opposed to gaming the system so they both win.

I'm sure in his eyes he sees Brisbane losing a first round pick and trading later picks, is better for him then taking the compo and agreeing to a later pick swap that works for both teams.

I'm keen to get Danniher in, he's a good player with high upside and alot of risk, but reading the garbage spewed here by essendon supporters is already getting dull. Let's hope it's over quickly.

If they match what we trade will give a good indication of how confident we are of getting him fit and firing.

If they match what we trade will give a good indication of how confident we are of getting him fit and firing.
Tbh I would be surprised to offer any more then one of our first round picks. Should be able to get him to nominate for the national draft and use it there if the dons won't just trade.

It's why Essendon matching hurts Brisbane more (as they will have to waste that pick). Unfortunately I think Dodoro is that vindictive.

All these essendon supporters arguing about us doing them a solid should probably think about how much value a 5 pick upgrade is worth arguing about.

Spotthedog is entirely correct. The club has made it known we are keen to have him here next year, we won't let him walk to the draft. We not only have good relationships with other clubs, but player agents because we will get things done. It does still depend on how much dodo pushes and asks for, we won't be held to ransom over it. The draft will still be a viable option if he demands too much, with some, but I think little risk someone else will take him.

The shorter time this year will play against dodo and the bombers as well, especially being that they have a few players to deal with.

Imagine the response from Essendon if Adelaide get pick 2 for Crouch and they are looking at pick 20+ for Daniher. It does show how inequitable the free agent compo can be when a lowly club is prepared to offer a fat contract to a player which exceeds his true value.

Imagine the response from Essendon if Adelaide get pick 2 for Crouch and they are looking at pick 20+ for Daniher. It does show how inequitable the free agent compo can be when a lowly club is prepared to offer a fat contract to a player which exceeds his true value.
I just can’t see it.
I can’t imagine any club offering any more than about 600k per year to be honest.

the bombers just hope you offer enough for a first round compo.
is there a player the lions have overpaid who you think is not needed?
the bombers are in a position to absorb a salary if it means upping Daniher contract offer.

the bombers are in a position to absorb a salary if it means upping Daniher contract offer.

Tricky part of that is you might have to start asking around to see which of those overpaid players are willing to be traded to Essendon which might not be well received.

With Crisp going to Collingwood as steak knives in the Beams deal it was easy because he'd already asked to be traded back to Melbourne before he was offered up (supposedly was on his way to Essendon before the Beams trade up).

Another Bombers fan in fantasy land. We will offer Daniher what we see as his worth to our team. Full. Stop.

If Daniher goes to the draft I cannot see Sydney taking the risk on him. Unfortunately they have Franklin, who probably won't play again at any level, soaking up a large chunk of their salary cap. With Daniher having another year on the side lines they would be silly to offer him anything. Who else could want him.

If it falls that way let Daniher go to the draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Every time I listen to a discussion about this, Don Ambrogio is spoken about as a tough negotiator. I have faith in our guys to get a deal done without selling the farm.
He might be, but he takes his cues from Nobes.

GWS will probably pressure Essendon to get one of our first rounders and trade for Caldwell.

End of first compensation for Caldwell would be fair IMO

If Daniher goes to the draft I cannot see Sydney taking the risk on him. Unfortunately they have Franklin, who probably won't play again at any level, soaking up a large chunk of their salary cap. With Daniher having another year on the side lines they would be silly to offer him anything. Who else could want him.

If it falls that way let Daniher go to the draft.

I'm not sure what Sydney are thinking re Daniher.
But, arguably, he is a lesser risk now than he was at this time last year when they tried to get him. Last year he had had surgery mid year and hadn't yet got back to any level of training. In fact, post surgery he didn't recover at the rate normally expected, and it wasn't until he went to Ireland late in 2019 that he began the program that has resulted in his comeback to playing. Compared to the doubt about his return to fitness at this time last year, he is in much better shape this year. He has played the last 6 or so games with no apparent ill affects. Not sure why Sydney wouldn't be more confident of his durability now than last year. Other circumstances/considerations could have changed for them of course.

But, arguably, he is a lesser risk now than he was at this time last year when they tried to get him. Last year he had had surgery mid year and hadn't yet got back to any level of training. In fact, post surgery he didn't recover at the rate normally expected, and it wasn't until he went to Ireland late in 2019 that he began the program that has resulted in his comeback to playing. Compared to the doubt about his return to fitness at this time last year, he is in much better shape this year. He has played the last 6 or so games with no apparent ill affects. Not sure why Sydney wouldn't be more confident of his durability now than last year. Other circumstances/considerations could have changed for them of course.
I am not convinced that Daniher ever really wanted to go to Sydney or that Sydney ever really wanted him.
Just that he wanted out of Essendon.
This year it is clear that The Lions want him and he wants to come to us.

Is it within the rules for the Lions to have discussions with Sydney about taking/not taking Daniher - "trade" tampering?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back