The definitive top 10 Simpsons episodes

Remove this Banner Ad

I generally rewatch the first 10 or 12 seasons rather than watch new.

Cant recall any standout stories of the last 20 seasons though Im sure some exist.

I dare say South Park is similar. But I guess they added more swearing.
You can trace the decline of The Simpsons to Phil Hartman's death. It's the start of the show turning from something clever that had jokes/situations, where one level amused kids, but also another level that only adults would pickup, to a show just aimed at visual / verbal humour at young kids through young teen level. It's why the show's kept going on, but 'new' (which can now be over 20 years old) Simpsons episodes (or quotes / scenes from them) are not the cultural touchstones of the old one's. There's nothing in the last 20 years where you can just say a word / phrase, like Monorail or Dental Plan and a large part of a generation would instantly know what you're talking about.

1. Black Widower (Selma marries Sideshow Bob)
2. Lisa's Substitute
3. Mr Plow
4. Homer Badman
5. Last Exit To Springfield ("which was they style at the time")
6. Lisa Goes to Washington (essay contest)
7. Cape Feare
8. Time & Punishment - Treehouse of Horror V (toaster, Shinning)
9. You Only Move Twice
10. A Fish Called Selma

11. Deep Space Homer
12. Radioactive Man
13. Who Shot Mr. Burns?
14. Marge vs the Monorail
15. Summer of 4'2"

TV shows that go 3-4 seasons too long usually deliver atleast one episode that is quality in those seasons.

Surely there is a Simpsons episode from the last 15 years that none of us have seen that could be in the all time top 20.

I don't have the time to watch all those seasons and find out though!

My favourite episode is the mysterious voyage of Homer (the chilli cook off episode)

Also love the one where he goes to space as I fell in love with James Taylor’s music after that episode
Now here's the deal, I'm going to play and you're going to float there and like it.

Alright, I'm gonna go on a mission to watch 'em all.

750 eps it seems.
234.3 hours
9.76 days

Here goes see you next year
keep your snacks within reach
tumblr_mxgsmtEwYS1qa6rsvo1_400.gif

Haha... I'm two down, this is going to take a long time and a lot of patience. As a 38yo, I have certainly not bonded with it so far, but I also did hate the first season for the most part (quality of the show/voices)

Yeah I have but I wouldn't have watched the simpsons since I was in my mid teens probably. Have probably not watched the second half of its run
Yeah I haven't watched it consistently since my early-mid 20s (35 now), but only the golden seasons. Seen only a handful of eps after S14 or so I reckon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely there is a Simpsons episode from the last 15 years that none of us have seen that could be in the all time top 20.
Two stand out for me. One was set in the future where Bart was a divorced dad with split custody of his kids and Homer kept dying again and again and again.

The other was the only Halloween episode that wasn't the usual 'Treehouse of Horror' thing. Lisa gets freaked out by zombies at a Halloween theme park and Homer gets three workers at a Halloween shop fired for doing dodgy deals and they end up doing a home invasion on him. The whole episode had an edge to it you don't usually see on the Simpsons.

TV shows that go 3-4 seasons too long usually deliver atleast one episode that is quality in those seasons.

I don't have the time to watch all those seasons and find out though!

For me it was the 24 parody episode - 16 years old and the last "new" episode I remember watching. Scary thought that there's 18ish years worth of episodes I have never seen of the show. I've done re-watches of the classic years (1-10) in the past, although the last time I was INTENDING on doing the same again.... I stopped at season 3 :-/.

I've probably told my story about my "viewing" of the show over the years, but like any other school age child I was deeply into the show when it originally aired. Had many of the figures, the first few Simpsons music cd's (well had the first one on tape for years before I finally got it on cd), The Simpsons boardgame, The Simpsons magazines (had a really cool 3-D effect one as well), the video games (Bart vs The Space Mutants wasn't topped until The Simpsons Game in the mid 2000's!). Like many other things throughout my life (viewing Terminator 2 too many times) I gradually shelved The Simpsons as I think I watched it far too many times and the episodes (that channel 10 would replay over and over again) finally tired me out.

So as a consequence to that I missed a few seasons, but with the aide of Foxtel and their Super Simpsons weekends I would eventually catch up on the missed episodes (bit by bit), then I'd catch up on more episodes months later etc etc etc. I said "goodbye" to the show when the movie came out.

Amazed that it's still going today even though it's technically a Disney+ thing now.

Still find memories of the show many lines and episode references still get said today.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back