The definitive top 10 Simpsons episodes

Remove this Banner Ad

Definitely top 10 material. I still am tempted to yell out 'Mattingly get rid of those sideburns!' at every long haired hippie I pass.

Hmm, will now have to figure a top 10. Homer at the Bat and Last exit to Springfield are definitely high on the list. For the last 20 years it must have been hell for girls named Lisa needing braces! Who under 40 upon hearing the words Dental Plan, finds it hard not to automatically say Lisa needs braces! ?

10 i reckon is basically impossible. I reckon i could do a top 50 without ordering them, but there's just too many, even some of the new ones (rare I know) are worthy of a place.

Anyway, i'm going to watch homer at bat right now, and then be whistling the 'i'm talking softball' song for weeks

Homer the vigilante is on 10 at 6 tonight.

If people actually do a top 10 - doesn't have to be an order, I may do a countdown like thread if there are enough voters.
Does it have to be 10? Or just vote for all your favorites? I've been meaning to add mine, but if it's just 10 I won't be able to do it.

Does it have to be 10? Or just vote for all your favorites? I've been meaning to add mine, but if it's just 10 I won't be able to do it.
10 makes it easier. If everyone did their favourites there'd be a list of 50 each person.

so so hard to do a top ten. plus i'm really bad with the episode names.

it's also been so long since i watched them on a consistent basis now so putting the great quotes and innuendo into an actual episode is a bit of a task in itself.

I hated Bart v Australia

You're not the only one. It could have been so good - I was looking forward to a vicious swipe at our cultural psyche. Instead we got lame Kangaroo jokes and Sith Efrican eccents.

Generally speaking, "The Simpsons go to <Country X>" are all lame. The ones I can remember: Japan, Brazil, France and the UK all sucked. What am I missing?

Went on an online streaming site and clicked random a couple of times last night. Chucked up one gem in particular, 'the boy who knew too much'. The one with quimby's nephew and the chowder scene, as well as the homer fake glasses in the jury trick. Not quite top 10 I reckon, but such a solid ep

2. The Otto Show
1. You Only Move Twice
3. Homer the Heretic
Burns Verkaufen der Kraftwerk
9. A Streetcar Named Marge
Itchy and Scratchy: The Movie
Marge vs. The Monorail
4. Last Exit to Springfield
8. The Front
10. Homer's Barbershop Quartet
Homer Goes to College
Burns' Heir
5. Secrets of a Successful Marriage
Itchy and Scratchy Land
And Maggie Makes Three
6. Two Bad Neighbours
7. Homer the Smithers
22 Short Stories About Springfield
Raging Abe Simpson and His Grumbling Grandson in "The Curse of the Flying Hellfish"
The Springfield Files
How I Spent My Strummer Vacation

CBF editing it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know about a top 10, but for me, Lisa on Ice is the best episode. I continually find myself quoting from this episode still almost 20 years after it was made.

It is basically one great gag after another, including (in order);

- Channel 6 Action News
- Academic Alerts in the Butthead Memorial Auditorium
- Bart's hockey game with Homer being an overbearing sports parent ("OK son, just remember to have fun out there today. And if you lose, I'll kill you!")
- Homer commenting on Lisa's choice to play ice hockey ("Lisa, if the Bible has taught us nothing else -- and it hasn't -- it's that girls should stick to girls' sports, such as hot-oil wrestling, foxy boxing, and such-and-such.")
- Homer laying down the law in Lisa's dressing room ("Look, that kid's got bosoms! Who's got a wet towel? Come here, you butterball!")
- Homer, Marge and Bart watching Lisa ("We're laughing _with_ her Marge. There's a big difference. With her!)
- Bart neglected by Homer, Marge asks Bart to spend time with her ("I know, how about we play the basketball? I'm no Harvey Globetrotter, but... Watch out for the Shaq attack!)
- Homer supporting Lisa at the ice hockey ("Wow..eye of the tiger, mouth of a Teamster! Just think of all the time I've wasted on _you_! [points at Bart] Er, well, not...wasted, uh...I love you.")
- Bart and Lisa fight with arm and leg twirling, while Homer eats pie and bangs head on stove. Homer comes upstairs and states that Bart and Lisa are playing each other ("I want to see you both fighting for your parents' love! Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight!")
- Final game scene with sentimental moments, followed by my favourite lines of all at the end of the episode (I especially love Homer calling his kids 'losers' and the fact that the Chief of Police starts a riot)

Man 1: What the heck is a tie game?
Man 2: Tie game?
Woman 1: What the hell?
Woman 2: This is outrageous!
Marge: Oh, I've never been so proud of them.
Homer: [weeping] They're both losers. Losers!
Abe: Rip-off!
Hans: We paid for blood!
Wiggum: Let's tear this place apart! Arrggh!
Abe: Good idea!
-- A good-old hockey riot,

Fight%21_Fight%21_Fight%21_etc..gif

You only move twice
last exit to springfield
king sized homer
homer vs nyc
cape fear
lemon of troy
homer vs the eighteenth ammendment
homers enemy
marge vs the monorail
and maggie makes three

This is my tope 10, the best episodes ever, surely!?
A fish called Selma could possibly be swapped in here. That was such a mission

Great shortlist. Here's a quick attempt at 10:

Homer the Vigilante (Springfield Cat Burglar)
You only Move Twice (Scorpio)
Lisa the Vegetarian
Team Homer (Pinpals)
Mountain Madness (Burns & Homer climb the mountain)
Homer the Smithers (Homer looks after Burns)
Boy Scoutz n Hood (Homer/Flanders rafting)
Homer Loves Flanders (Homer befriends Flanders)
King Size Homer (Obesity disability pension)
Flying Hellfish (Hellfish Bonanza)

I really wanted to squeeze in Homie the Clown ... Beer Baron, Homer's Phobia ... And so so many others, the list goes on. 10 is impossible.

Edit: Nope ... here's 10 more.

Homie the Clown
Beer Baron
Homer's Phobia
Last Exit to Springfield
Marge on the Lam
Stonecutters
Joy of Sect (I love the Leader)
Bart's Inner Child
Film Festival (Don't cry for me I'm already dead)
Bart of Darkness (Swimming pool)

Will definitely be doing a countdown, of the top 10.

We will close voting on Wednesday the 31st.

SwampCreature Admiral Afterworld roo2macca and placebo (narrow it down to 10 or I will just count the first 10 on your list)

The Way We Was
Homer Badman
Homer at the Bat
Lisa's First Word
And Maggie Makes Three
Lisa's Substitute
Last Exit to Springfield
Rosebud
You Only Move Twice
Lisa's Pony

Seasons 3-10 are where the best quality is, countless classics that we all remember. Season 2 has some awesome nostalgia as well if I remember correctly; who doesn't remember Springfield Gorge and Homers jump with the skateboard? :p

Season 1 is still good, but it's rough. Bart the General when watching it again is a harsh episode; Bart gets severely beaten up by Nelson multiple times and is distressed in a non-comical way that took the Simpsons to greater heights in their prime years. And the one where Bart is sent to France and exploited is also quite dark.

Anything after season 10 I am not too familiar with but would probably enjoy up to season 13-14. After that I'm out of it, maybe one day I'll watch them all including the 15 seasons of random cheap laughs.

I thought a good summation of The Simpsons decline in quality was this by a long time fan and critic. "In their prime years a average funny episode full of subtle gags would end mild chaos with a good moral or sentimental value; such as Lisa the Vegetarian where Homer goes "Come on I'll give you a piggy back ride, oops! ...I mean a veggie back ride" and they walked off happy. Nowadays an episode ends with Homer shooting Marge in the neck with a tranquilizer dart to wrap up a poor side plotline with no good value to it at all.

Is there a thread devoted just to Simpson characters around here? It would go off if everyone just sat back and remembered the best of the countless characters both regular and once-off had to offer

Remove this Banner Ad

Back