The delisting of Menzel shows what a bad state our game is in

Remove this Banner Ad

I for one find it rather sad that a player with as much talent as Menzel has gets delisted.

Let’s face it, he is one of the most exciting players with the ball in hand in the competition and was delisted because he doesn’t do what is required of modern day medium to small forwards - tackling and applying pressure.

The Richmond team is a good example of this - a group of forwards who excel at tackling and applying pressure that don’t have a lot of talent.

10-20 years ago Menzel would be an absolute star but these days, there’s no room for talent, just really fit players who can run and chase all day.

Why would anyone find this sad??!

Who would you prefer to be getting rewarded with games?
- A guy without prodigal talent but who is willing to work harder than most on and off the field
- A guy with prodigal talent but who wont run both ways.

no brainer for me.

Another 5 star thread from you OP.

- A guy without prodigal talent but who is willing to work harder than most on and off the field

no brainer for me.

And Menzel doesn't even possess prodigious talent, I don't understand why there are people shocked he was delisted?

Last edited:

Do you mean prodigious talent?

no brainer for me.

Interesting post.
I hope you mean prodigious and not prodigal.

I for one find it rather sad that a player with as much talent as Menzel has gets delisted.

Let’s face it, he is one of the most exciting players with the ball in hand in the competition and was delisted because he doesn’t do what is required of modern day medium to small forwards - tackling and applying pressure.

The Richmond team is a good example of this - a group of forwards who excel at tackling and applying pressure that don’t have a lot of talent.

10-20 years ago Menzel would be an absolute star but these days, there’s no room for talent, just really fit players who can run and chase all day.
Tackling is and has always been a great part of our great game, without it we wouldn't hear that classic roar of baaaaalllllllll!

Richmond, unlike the swans Freo, Saints etc was able to tackle with conviction, apply massive pressure all over the ground while still moving the ball fwd to consistently score 100 points or more.

Thankfully this exciting fast moving hard style of true football, that not only produced a flag, a Coleman and two goals of the year has put an end to teams playing the soft AFLX style of front running football so favoured by Menzel and the Cats, maybe by ridding themselves of him, they have finally realised that this is Australian Rules Football not the N bloody B A:mad:

Honestlty, this comment is so flawed that I don't know where to start and end innits ridicule! OK lemme break it down for yas...
Tackling is and has always been a great part of our great game, without it we wouldn't hear that classic roar of baaaaalllllllll!
Yes it is one of the spectacles of the game but it is used in ignorance of the circumstances most of the time by pissheads that aren't really following the game and can be largely observed as annoying by spectators that are aware of the interpretation of the rules!
Richmond, unlike the swans Freo, Saints etc was able to tackle with conviction, apply massive pressure all over the ground while still moving the ball fwd to consistently score 100 points or more.
Admittedly, Richmond do apply pressure to where it is needed but it not all over the ground whilst moving the ball forward, just doesn't make sense!
Thankfully this exciting fast moving hard style of true football, that not only produced a flag, a Coleman and two goals of the year has put an end to teams playing the soft AFLX style of front running football so favoured by Menzel and the Cats, maybe by ridding themselves of him, they have finally realised that this is Australian Rules Football not the N bloody B A:mad:
Sorry, but didn't produce a flag this year lol and that goal awarded the prize makes a mockery of the rules and shouldn't have won the award! Front running football?!? Favored by Menzel?!? LOL <_<

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honestlty, this comment is so flawed that I don't know where to start and end innits ridicule! OK lemme break it down for yas...

Yes it is one of the spectacles of the game but it is used in ignorance of the circumstances most of the time by pissheads that aren't really following the game and can be largely observed as annoying by spectators that are aware of the interpretation of the rules!

Admittedly, Richmond do apply pressure to where it is needed but it not all over the ground whilst moving the ball forward, just doesn't make sense!

Sorry, but didn't produce a flag this year lol and that goal awarded the prize makes a mockery of the rules and shouldn't have won the award! Front running football?!? Favored by Menzel?!? LOL <_<
You need to reread the rules they are very simple, overly so to be honest, if the ball hits foot it is a legal kick.
A flag, followed by top of the ladder and a Prelim is still better than any other style has produced since 2015.

You need to reread the rules they are very simple, overly so to be honest, if the ball hits foot it is a legal kick.
A flag, followed by top of the ladder and a Prelim is still better than any other style has produced since 2015.
It was a throw before it was a kick, VERY SIMPLE! If it was a better style than any other then why no flag?!? The Tiges have a good structure, a gun full forward(score accumulator), solid midfield(supply), and yet their style wasn't enough when WCE/Pies lose key players during the season(Moore/Elliott/Natanui/Gaff) and were still good enough to brush the Tiges aside and make the GF theirs!

It was a throw before it was a kick, VERY SIMPLE! If it was a better style than any other then why no flag?!? The Tiges have a good structure, a gun full forward(score accumulator), solid midfield(supply), and yet their style wasn't enough when WCE/Pies lose key players during the season(Moore/Elliott/Natanui/Gaff) and were still good enough to brush the Tiges aside and make the GF theirs!
I'm not going through all that again, there is a whole thread devoted to whether it was a goal or not with most judges including teh AFL giving it the nod, suffice to say Gary Ablett's great "mark" was not a mark either but it still won mark of the year and history considers it correctly as a great mark, if it's paid a mark or goal then it is, simple.

Our style got a flag and a Prelim, which as I stated is the most successful style since Hawthorns 3peat. Collingwood's style is very similar with an extra tall, which we have now added to our team, when the Eagles key forwards are on they are hard to stop no matter what style you play, as Collingwood found out when they couldn't defend a 5 goal lead.
Next year is a whole new ball game with yet again changed rules, our purchase of Lynch if he performs reasonably should alleviate any negatives from those changes, we were still the best performed team over the whole of 2018 no reason we won't be thereabouts next year, as a Geelong supporter you should know there are no guarantees about winning the big one even when you are the best team and no second chances from the prelim onwards.

I'm not going through all that again,
If you didn't want to go through that again then you wouldn't have been bragging about it here!
there is a whole thread devoted to whether it was a goal or not with most judges including teh AFL giving it the nod,
The AFL always give in to the spectacle and are never consistent with the rules. I honestly don't care about whether it is deemed a goal or not but coz it is marred with controversy, that is precisely why it shouldn't have won the award! The only thing special about it was that he crossed that line of what was acceptable by throwing the ball upwards when he had other options.
suffice to say Gary Ablett's great "mark" was not a mark either but it still won mark of the year and history considers it correctly as a great mark, if it's paid a mark or goal then it is, simple.
LOL I assume that you are talking about the Gary Pert one right? The only reason it caught in controversy coz Pie supporters are notorious SOOKS!
Our style got a flag and a Prelim, which as I stated is the most successful style since Hawthorns 3peat. Collingwood's style is very similar with an extra tall, which we have now added to our team, when the Eagles key forwards are on they are hard to stop no matter what style you play, as Collingwood found out when they couldn't defend a 5 goal lead.
Next year is a whole new ball game with yet again changed rules, our purchase of Lynch if he performs reasonably should alleviate any negatives from those changes, we were still the best performed team over the whole of 2018 no reason we won't be thereabouts next year, as a Geelong supporter you should know there are no guarantees about winning the big one even when you are the best team and no second chances from the prelim onwards.
I disagree with what you say about style coz I think it is more than style that got Richmond where it is. I'm a HUGE fan of Hardwick and I think he is the biggest factor in the Tigers' success! Do you remember back when Hardwick and Brad Scott were under massive pressure from the media/supporters and were hanging onto their jobs by a thread but they held onto that belief in the players and defended them all the way through that dark period AND NOW THE PLAYERS ARE RESPONDING TO THAT FAITH AND TRYING TO RETURN THAT LOVE TO THEIR COACH! UNITY IS WHAT MAKES A TEAM ELITE! If the players don't feel the love as a collective then they prolly won't return that love as a collective!

Last edited:
You know that Menzel missed 2012, 2013 and 2014 then played 2 games in 2015, right? He also only played 3 games in his first year. Rohan missed effectively two seasons, Menzel effectively four.

He played 18, 19 and 13 games the last 3 years. Rohan played 18, 16 and 11. As I said, it's a strange decision to bring in Rohan and dump Menzel. Different players but both unreliable. I would be very surprised if Rohan didn't miss 4-6 games at least in 2019.

Meaning that Rohan isn't as injury prone as Menzel.

It is better to have a forward who can actually get onto the ground, and you get games out of, then someone who is constantly in the medical room.

Gary Rohan may not set the world on fire, but we only gave up Pick 65 for a premiership player, so it isn't a massive risk.

The medical team don’t give the regular injections its the physios. And that injection was most likely NOT given at the club hence why nothing has ever been confirmed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Still, a medical professional like a physio should know where to stick a needle.

What if the consequences had been worse, and Menzel's infection had been life-threatening?

No, there is no excuse for it. Medical professionals have to be held to a higher standard, and the physio who did that needed to be shown the door.

Yes i was. I was furious for varcoe leaving. His form returned in the last month and then we let him go.

Varcoe can be added to the list of geelong players with a high skill set that get thrown on the heap by a coach the had none of it as a player.

Menzel, motlop, johnson, chapman, caddy, varcoe and mitch clark.

You blame the coach for getting rid of Varcoe, whereas Son of Meto and others blamed CS for keeping Varcoe, and playing him in 2013, and blamed Varcoe for costing us the 2013 PF (when, if Paul Chapman hadn't selfishly knocked out a Port player the previous week, he would have played and we might have won the PF. So I blame Chapman, not Varcoe, for us missing the 2013 GF).

Luke Hodge wanted to be a midfielder. Being a star is not the name of the game.

In any case, there are plenty of gun forwards out there who don't chase too much, but are still getting games. I think the problem with Dan runs deeper.

Not sure if another dogs supporter has already said this, but if Geelong expect Dahlhaus to replace those goals they’re sorely mistaken.

I liked Dahl and wasn’t particularly happy he left, but I won’t miss the certainty I had when he was lining up for a set shot that this was going to be a point at best, maybe out on the full.

If Menzel is available for next to nothing salary-wise, it’s ludicrous that a bottom team hasn’t picked him up.

Meaning that Rohan isn't as injury prone as Menzel.

It is better to have a forward who can actually get onto the ground, and you get games out of, then someone who is constantly in the medical room.

Gary Rohan may not set the world on fire, but we only gave up Pick 65 for a premiership player, so it isn't a massive risk.
Rohan isn't a premiership player.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-11-01/discarded-cat-dan-menzel-set-for-swans-medical

Looks like the Swans are officially into Menzel. I recognise his negatives but we could use some of his positives about now. Besides Buddy our forward line this year was full of kids. We could use a reliable goal kicker up front while those kids develop.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back