The delisting of Menzel shows what a bad state our game is in

Remove this Banner Ad

......that the Swans have saved Menzel. You're welcome.
efa.
Fwiw, I hope Swans can win the 19 flag with Menzel and Thurlow involved

I know I'm assuming Geelong won't be there

I for one find it rather sad that a player with as much talent as Menzel has gets delisted.

Let’s face it, he is one of the most exciting players with the ball in hand in the competition and was delisted because he doesn’t do what is required of modern day medium to small forwards - tackling and applying pressure.

The Richmond team is a good example of this - a group of forwards who excel at tackling and applying pressure that don’t have a lot of talent.

10-20 years ago Menzel would be an absolute star but these days, there’s no room for talent, just really fit players who can run and chase all day.

There has never been room for talent who aren't putting the required work in to maintain a spot, and doing the basics.

Just the conditions for what is the required work changes.

Luke Hodge wanted to be a midfielder. Being a star is not the name of the game.

In any case, there are plenty of gun forwards out there who don't chase too much, but are still getting games. I think the problem with Dan runs deeper.

There are plenty of them, however none of them are small/medium forwards. A key forward can get away with not chasing providing an offensive output there. A small to mid forward can't get away with not chasing, even if they've had an Eddie Betts like output in his golden years. Defensive pressure after all is built from the small to mid forward position and is becoming more vital (a trend I would be confident in saying it'll always be a thing from herein).

It's pretty much the start and the end of the problem with Dan. He is 20 years too late for a career at this stage, as much as Sydney have deemed him worthy of a 2nd shot (though I'd be surprised if Menzel wasn't delisted at the end of next year).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A team of the 22 most attacking players in the AFL would probably beat a team of 22 of the most defensive players.
Let's see those 2 teams just for the exercise.
ATTACKING-
Do you select your 22 based on the most attacking players in their spots? BP, FB, etc
Or do you just lost the most attacking 22 in the comp.
Ditto DEFENSIVE-

Let's see those 2 teams just for the exercise.
ATTACKING-
Do you select your 22 based on the most attacking players in their spots? BP, FB, etc
Or do you just lost the most attacking 22 in the comp.
Ditto DEFENSIVE-

Exactly. Find the most attacking players in their individual positions and put them all in a team together, and then find the most defensive players in their individual positions and put them in a team together. I just wonder which team would win.

Exactly. Find the most attacking players in their individual positions and put them all in a team together, and then find the most defensive players in their individual positions and put them in a team together. I just wonder which team would win.

Definitely offensive. Think about the midfield... Danger, Martin etc vs Jacobs, S.Selwood

Definitely offensive. Think about the midfield... Danger, Martin etc vs Jacobs, S.Selwood
How about a real attempt at Attacking BEST 22 v Defensive BEST 22.
It's difficult.
I would not be including SSelwood at present

True, but the defense of the attacking team would be unaccountable and when the ball got in the hands of the defensive team (in the attacking teams forward line) the attacking team would not do a good job holding the ball inside the forward 50.

Are you saying that Danger, Dusty etc are unaccountable/have no defensive game? Because if you are, you are wrong.

True, but the defense of the attacking team would be unaccountable and when the ball got in the hands of the defensive team (in the attacking teams forward line) the attacking team would not do a good job holding the ball inside the forward 50.
LOL who needs a forward 50 with those types of mids?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back