The downfall of Fox Footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

First crack is the only decent show these days. Proper analysis that gives real insight into the game.
The Couch: used to be must watch. Loved how they used to analyse game footage. They can’t even get through good, bad and ugly most weeks and when they do they try to be funny. Keep Lyon as the anchor, put king and Montagna on the couch and get Buckley in. Stop dribbling s**t and doing long winded boring player interviews.

360: it’s tired. They don’t even do real or overreaction anymore. It’s at its best when it’s just Gerard and Robbo discussing, but even that seems to be 95% robbo rambling. Gerard offers an intelligent opinion on all matters but barely gets a word in. Too many interviews that don’t go in depth into anything. Scrap the players and coaches interviews completely especially Jack Riewoldt. Batshit boring.
Bounce is tired too. What made the show was the chemistry between dunstall and Frawley. It hasn’t been the same since spuds passing.

Fox’s strength over the years is to give the average footy fan what they want: which is serious discussion, analysis and insight into the game. It seems this is lost to the need for light-hearted ness. I go to footy classified these days to get a proper fix.

Fantastic post in the main, Id like to build on some of your points and respectfully challenge others (difference of opinion).

Absolutely agree First Crack is the best. It's pure to what we want. At least First Crack pays lip service to a variety of teams and games. No interviews or gimmicks, noone trying to be 'the guy' or the funny one - great stuff. Proper version of keep it simple.

On the Couch used to be this but since the new lineup it is putrid. They seem to talk about their own sides (Melbourne, Brisbane, Saints) constantly and whilst that has made sense in recent times due to their relative prominence on the ladder it is at other times baffling how they spend 10 mins looking at those games when they werent the biggest of the round. Otherwise it reverts to Vic games. No interstate interest outside of Brisbane. At least Healy used to pull Fremantle or the Giants or Swans into the conversation at times. One gripe I've always had with OTC is how they all talk over each other It's weird and not good watching. First Crack doesn't have this.

360 needs to be retired. Robbo is boring and long-winded and Gerard is so fake. This is where I disagree with you. He tries to sound intelligent but fails. It's the persona he has built and it's easy to contrast against some less intelligent folk innthe footy world but it's clear he is a mouthpiece. But yes, player and coach interviews are so boring. Just give us the discussion and analysis.

Bounce is just a joke. Dunstall is at least mildly humourous but everyone else on the panel is awful. Gaze is garbage.

Best On Ground just isn't even funny. Not a single redeeming feature. If that's what they thought fans wanted they are delusional.

Go back to basics Fox. We want the highlights (Winners, anyone?). We want the panel discussion. That's it.

If you follow no structure or process you end up with on the couch. Used to be the best but now it's quite bad. Those guys basically wing it with little preparation and most of those guys have been on air since Friday probably in the same studio, I'm sure the money's good but would be a bit depressing.

Bounce and Best on Ground are just rubbish (why they didn't stick with the excellent Saturday Stretch, I'll never know). Front bar is the best because of its perfect mix of humour, nostalgia and analysis. Also the deep cuts it brings to the fore are superb. Bounce is just a clown show in comparison

But the most disappointing thing is the lack of effort compiling the content between shows and games. Just repeats of the shows and last week's games
Why not show classic games between the sides playing each other this week, at the very least?

First Crack is good because they just get straight to the point and it's just analysis. No interviews!

I don't get why Fox persist with current players and coaches. Read through this thread for a snapshot and not many actually sit and watch them.

Agree with those who say On The Couch doesn't really know what kind of show it is anymore. I'd link that a bit to Garry as host, he spent so long with The Footy Show and naturally he tries to make a few witty comments compared to Healy. I like Garry but maybe they need a proper structure to just spend time on each game. Monday night once a week, perfectly suited to focus on the round that was.

I don't get why Fox persist with current players and coaches.

Because for the producers of each program, it makes their job easier (in reality, they're lazy).

All they have to do is find a guest (or two) to fill that time slot as the format doesn't change.

Same format = fewer, if any 'segments' to fill = no need for a big production team = Fox's modus operandi.

Cheap and nasty......

Would be interesting to see the ratings breakdown per quarter hour for AFL 360 and On The Coach. Betcha the first half of AFL360 rates highly then a massive drop-off when the interviews are on.

That's why I like some of the US sports shows like Skip and Shannon Undisputed, First Things First, The Herd etc. Just general chit chat about topics, main issue is the nature of the topics can get a bit repetitive but I prefer that than interviews with current players, coaches etc. The Herd will interview ex players or coaches generally which I don't mind listening too on the rare occasion.

Anyway, I think the new TV rights will hopefully shake things up a little bit, at least at first. Naturally laziness and cheapness will set in again.

First Crack is good because they just get straight to the point and it's just analysis. No interviews!

I don't get why Fox persist with current players and coaches. Read through this thread for a snapshot and not many actually sit and watch them.

Agree with those who say On The Couch doesn't really know what kind of show it is anymore. I'd link that a bit to Garry as host, he spent so long with The Footy Show and naturally he tries to make a few witty comments compared to Healy. I like Garry but maybe they need a proper structure to just spend time on each game. Monday night once a week, perfectly suited to focus on the round that was.

Garry is notorious for lack of research.

That's why I like some of the US sports shows like Skip and Shannon Undisputed, First Things First, The Herd etc. Just general chit chat about topics, main issue is the nature of the topics can get a bit repetitive but I prefer that than interviews with current players, coaches etc. The Herd will interview ex players or coaches generally which I don't mind listening too on the rare occasion.

Anyway, I think the new TV rights will hopefully shake things up a little bit, at least at first. Naturally laziness and cheapness will set in again.

USA shows benefit from so many sports. The hosts take an interest and can hold their own discussing basketball, nfl, baseball, hockey. They understand the need to prepare and present because there's so much happening all the time. major cities have multiple teams across sports. but wait, so do we! but......

Here in AFL world with 4-5 day breaks between games there really isnt anything happening. And cause theres an oversaturation of AFL media, they have to do or say or find something to talk about.

For instance, today kane cornes says there's 200 players better than franklin right now. it was discussed on sen in the morning, and in the afternoon. lazy media, who's better than who? open up the lines and take calls from knuckle draggin neanderthals who take this seriously.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feel like On The Couch doesn't really know what it wants to be. As the other poster said, they used to show vision, behind the goals etc, then it's ultra serious talking about other off field issues, then it's doing a boring player interview, then it's lame humor.
Should never be a show dominated by recently retired players. What stated as Talking Footy back in the 90s worked best with a mix of journos and former coaches. Lyon, Brown and Riewoldt have their place on Fox Footy, but it's not here. The people who have worked best on Talking Footy / On the Couch over the years are ones like Bruce McAvaney (90s Bruce), Leigh Matthews, Malcolm Blight, Robert Walls, Gerard Healy and Mike Sheahan. Lyon, Brown and to a lesser extent Riewoldt do look like they're just stumbling from television / radio show to show and winging it half the time. This is not the show for boofhead casual observers.

AFL360 should be on Mondays and Wednesdays (I'm assuming that Thursday night games will become a staple next year) only. Two shows a week. Mondays show focusses on the week that was and all the stories surrounding it, and the Wednesday show focuses on the weekend ahead, and the potential storylines for that round. Get rid of the coaches and current players. Absolute waste of time.

Move on the couch to Tuesdays, taking over 360s slot. Increase it to 2 hours, and review every game properly. A solid 10 minutes on each game.

Face to Face should continue, aired Monday nights following 360

Best on Ground (if they want to keep it going), moves to Wednesday night following 360. Turn it into a copy of the footy show, because that's basically what it is trying to be. Preview the games ahead.

Bounce should move to Friday or Saturday before the footy. Leave Thur/Fri/Sat/Sun night for in the moment analysis after the game. Saturday Stretch, First Crack etc.
When 360 started it was only on Wednesdays. Then when new Fox Footy launched they made it nightly, and they ditched The Winners for it.

What was the context? Dig at Huddo because he isn't an ex player?

It was a strange one. Huddo was talking about extended pressure and I did not detect a dig at Buckley when he let that rip. He really thinks it's all about him. I ended up missing a good game because he was triggering me lol.

The late show with Matty Johns was on fire last night, The Possum Hunters, hilarious and the retro tribute to Gordon Tallis, excellent. Take note best on ground, that’s how you do it.
I'm a big fan of Front Bar for light hearted comedy. I have tears in my eyes a lot of the time from laughing.
Don't think Riewoldt, Brown, Buckley will ever do that, just cringe at their segments.

I'm a big fan of Front Bar for light hearted comedy. I have tears in my eyes a lot of the time from laughing.
Don't think Riewoldt, Brown, Buckley will ever do that, just cringe at their segments.

On the unfortunate occasions I've caught Riewoldt attempting humour you can see the look in his eye thinking 'I rate myself here, I'm p*** funny'. He's the only one. Ditto Buckley.

Brown, I just hear his voice and think of a bloke in a country pub complaining about the 'sheilas'.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back