The downfall of Fox Footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

The simple reality - Fox is robbing us.Yes its nice to have accessto footy discussion 24/7 - but we paid for ‘alternative’ live commentary…with other7 games thrown in.

Football commentary is so controlled by the AFL…tonights Suns/Demons game proved that - appalling umpiring and NOTHING said. Everything is off limits except the players….and even then they go mental when there's an ‘image’ implication (Race, Drugs, DUI, AFLW, Socials etc)

What we’re getting is a sham, a rort..and I look fwd to next year when they HAVE to put their hands in their pocket.

I wonder if Foxtel mgmt know how much they are hated - I guess the paycheck makes them feel like they’re ‘solid citizens’.

Personally I think they’re not far off human diarrhoea.

Last edited:

The simple reality - Fox is robbing us.Yes its nice to have accessto footy discussion 24/7 - but we paid for ‘alternative’ live commentary…with other7 games thrown in.

Football commentary is so controlled by the AFL…tonights Suns/Demons game proved that - appalling umpiring and NOTHING said. Everything is off limits except the players….and even then they go mental when there's an ‘image’ implication (Race, Drugs, DUI, AFLW, Socials etc)

What we’re getting is a sham, a rort..and I look fwd to next year when they HAVE to put their hands in their pocket.

I wonder if Foxtel mgmt know how much they are hated - I guess the paycheck makes them feel like they’re ‘solid citizens’.

What footy discussion 24/7? all we get is repeats of AFL360 every two hours

Just bc u are older doesn't mean you are removed from the game. Thats a bizarre comment. If this was the case then Wayne Bennett and Bellamy wouldn't be considered 2 of the best coaches in the NRL. You can be young and have completely no idea in the same way that an older commentator might prophesise that you need to "kick the ball long" in every situation.
Take your point though that there should be more current day players doing the calling - BT is the obvious one that needs the hook imo but it's not because of his age.

It does show up though. Hodge on Friday night was the only one offering actual tactical analysis of what Carlton and Brisbane were up to and you could tell by the silence no one else understood it.

too many have either been there too long or are there for reasons unknown

Foxtel
Whately - has become a holier than thou pontificator of how the game should be. Used to like him, but his AFL/Geelong cheerleading has worn thin
Robbo - not denigrate TGO, but health aside, i think he's the other side of the same coin to Whately. It should be this, rather than just providing insight
King - Stats heavy bore with narrow ideas that aren't that well considered
Dixon, Mooney & Gaze - Buffoon squad.
N.Riewoldt - now Rossy has a job, his usefulness has disappeared

Foxfooty
Kane - s**t stirrer for the sake of it
Lloyd - Lisa Simpson - answers to questions nobody asked

Dunstall, Dermie, Montagna and Lyon i don't mind.
Bucks is good too. Good insights into the footy side

Brown im on the fence with.

Especially that name in bold. What football qualifications does this clown at all? In any way?

As soon as he started turning up on footy shows I turned off.

That's how I think of pretty much all footy commentators and especially the AFL itself.

I don’t care what anyone says commentary teams calling games from a studio is absolutely detrimental to the watching of the game on tv. I was so frustrated watching the last quarter of the Essendon vs PA game
I wonder why they sent commentators to the Pies game last week, but not this week.

I wonder why they sent commentators to the Pies game last week, but not this week.

Initially, I thought they had commentators on site last week because it was a big game and perhaps to subdue the complaining about doing all games outside Victoria from a studio. That theory is out the window now given they did the Port vs Essendon game from a studio.

Gerard Healy has been vocal in defending Fox doing games outside Victoria from a studio. I'm not sure he was at ''Gather Round'' and apparently he is one the Fox on air talent who doesn't want to travel to do games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It does show up though. Hodge on Friday night was the only one offering actual tactical analysis of what Carlton and Brisbane were up to and you could tell by the silence no one else understood it.
I would suggest some of the silence is bc I'm not sure Hodge is actually all that good and they might be thinking "nah thats wrong Luke". Richo is as good as any of them in analysing whats happening imo.

I don’t care what anyone says commentary teams calling games from a studio is absolutely detrimental to the watching of the game on tv. I was so frustrated watching the last quarter of the Essendon vs PA game

They were so subdued for every big moment in that last 10 minutes - I thought it might have been the 3rd quarter the way they were reacting

Gerard Healy has been vocal in defending Fox doing games outside Victoria from a studio. I'm not sure he was at ''Gather Round'' and apparently he is one the Fox on air talent who doesn't want to travel to do games.
He most certainly wasn’t over there. He was in the fox studio for the 7 broadcast GWS vs Hawthorn game.

another one of those very obvious not at the game moments for phillips shot near the end. what happened to all those extra angles that kingy said they get? very obviously watching the same awful the kick camera angle as we were.

and if poor old healy doesnt want to travel, then * him off for someone who wants to do a proper job. who is tuning in to listen to gerard bloody healy?

Derm was even more bizarre than usual during his commentary for Essendon Port yesterday. Absolute dribble coming out of his mouth!
I dislike him for his arrogance…but you’re right…he was almost ‘distracted’…..maybe KL was ‘serving the drinks’?

Derm was even more bizarre than usual during his commentary for Essendon Port yesterday. Absolute dribble coming out of his mouth!

I actually think he is bored now. Most of the time doesn't get the blockbuster games and just goes through the motions when talking about the game. Probably makes it worse that he is just in the studio, rather than at the match.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back