Universal Love The Drugs Are Bad Mackay? approved Australian cricketers are cheats Discussion Thread

Who will win the Ashes?

• England

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • Australia

Votes: 17 38.6%
  • New Zealand

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Zimbabwe

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • The 45th President of the United States, Donald Trump

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • Cricket will be the real winner

Votes: 5 11.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Thing is with the selection I don’t think it’s any different to their test selections, only they happened to get the test ones right for the most part, or at least we won the tests so it seemed okay. The Marsh brothers finally delivered, but apart from that Bancroft was a flop, Bird offered nothing and Paine was solid at best.

The difference now is their selections clearly aren’t paying off and the selectors are floundering. Cameron White didn’t look close to standard yesterday, for a guy who has played a fair amount of international cricket and plenty of domestic cricket and made a name as a big hitter, he couldn’t have looked more impotent.

We’ve then got Mitch Marsh who’s still batting the same way he did in test cricket, making a few runs, but soaking up too many balls to do so.

Travis Head, as much as I love seeing an SA boy there, is simply not an international level upper order batsmen, at best he’s your number 6, or 5 at a pinch. But let’s face it, he’s there more for his captaincy potential and the fact that he can hit the ball a long way. He’s never had any great consistency with the bat to warrant being a #4 for Australia.

If there’s no decent younger top order batsman in Australia, surely we’d be better off with a genuine top order batsman there like a Khawaja, Ferguson, Klinger or even a Shaun Marsh. If you want some big hitting up the order you might as well take a punt on a D’Arcy Short who’s actually in some decent form and is at another level in terms of big hitting.

Carey, for a first gamer actually looked like he knew what he was doing and could adapt his batting to the situation. He should keep his spot ahead of Paine in the ODI’s. Paine’s clearly more of an accumulator as a batter not really suited to batting in ODI’s.

I’d be looking at:
Finch
Warner
Khawaja
Smith
Marsh
Stoinis
Carey
Cummins
Starc
Hazelwood
Lyon (should be a no brainer at present)

Now if Stoinis isn’t capable of being a genuine, effective 7-10 over a game bowler then he’s not the right choice. They obviously don’t see Mitch Marsh as an all rounder anymore. Or maybe Smith needs to be prepared to bowl himself a little more.

Shame Pattinson and Faulkner can’t sort out their injuries. Both would be handy about now.

Head was in reasonably consistent form 12 months ago. Handful of 50s and that 100 opening on Australia Day.

But he’s in s**t form at the moment.

There are 2 separate issues which are the pattern of our losses:
1. Apart from Finch (both games) and Stoinis (in the first ODI), no other batsman has been dominating the English bowling attack. 2nd ODI we crumbled miserably.
2. Our overall run rate is not enough for what the English ODI team is serving up. England are openly claiming that they don't mind doing the run chase, and they are walking the talk with their chase looking like a cake walk.

300 is the barest of minimum to aim for any flat track wickets. What this means is that individually and collectively, we need to score at strike rate of 100 or more. So ultimately, we need 1 or 2 players getting a 100 or thereabouts, and doing it at a strike rate of a minimum of 100. If your form is good enough to get a 100 then you should be able to ramp up the strike rate above 100. I do believe Finch understands this, and he looked frustrated whenever he gave away dot balls.

So overall my observation isn't to pick on Finch. More so the need for us to have a player who can get a high score but also doing it in quick time, strike rate minimum 100.

The issue isn’t Finch, it’s what comes once Smith gets out. Heads giving us nothing and whilst Marsh is scoring, he’s taking too long to get set. He needs to learn to rotate the strike be Stoinis is there for big hitting at the depth.

Essentially our ODI strategy is for Warner, Finch and Smith to stay in till the 35th-40th over with a decent total and have Head, Marsh and Stoinis go big at the death. Unfortunately we’re stuffed the second Smith gets out anywhere north of the 35th over. If this is going to be our strategy, we need a more traditional, reliable batsman in our top 4 to get us through to the first 30-40 overs.

It’s pretty obvious though that there’s a discrepancy between how each country views 50 over cricket. England obviously care a lot more.

mattymac was the more grumpy commenter, but I seem to be getting all the hits from CB lol.
Nah, mate, I meant no harm. We often agree, just not always eg
You yourself being a cricketer, doesn't make all your opinions right, and myself playing high school cricket doesn't necessarily make my opinions wrong.
Opinions aren't right or wrong --- they're usually just a different interpretation of the same event. Mattymac thought Finch batted selfishly. I didn't. You thought he was slow. I didn't. In both cases I tried to supply evidence to back my opinions, but MEH, it's not life or death.
the game has clearly moved on from the past.
Yes, of course. Clearly. Obviously, mate. o_O
The English team have clearly grasped the concept that nowadays a a strike rate of 100 is the bare minimum ie. 300 runs minimum. They are playing with that mindset the whole game
ALL teams have grasped that concept, for well over 10 years now. It's a matter of execution, which the Poms have done. Aussies look unbalanced, unsure, hesitant --- Wood's 145Kph bowling has added to that --- Head prodding the ball back to Root was comical.
Looking forward to tomorrow's, er, today's game. Cummins/Hazlewood back.

Last edited:
Just had another look at second ODI numbers.
Poms hit 29 x 4s in 44.2 overs
Aussies, 21 in 50. (3 x 6s each)
There's the magic 100+ SR favoured by John Who.
There are many more factors than just SR, including one of the Crows' main demons --- mindset.
Poms fielded better, bowled better, batted better. The Aussies are fartarsing around trying to find their best team for the World Cup. Omitting Maxwell and Lyon (whose form is red-hot) is unfathomable.
This (below) is a better side, but maybe with Short @ #3, and Maxwell for MMarsh ... ?
I’d be looking at:
Finch
Warner
Khawaja
Smith
Marsh
Stoinis
Carey
Cummins
Starc
Hazelwood
Lyon
I heard on TV tonight that Khawaja got 2 50s and 2 tons in his last 4 digs in last year's BBL --- is that right?

The issue isn’t Finch, it’s what comes once Smith gets out. Heads giving us nothing and whilst Marsh is scoring, he’s taking too long to get set. He needs to learn to rotate the strike be Stoinis is there for big hitting at the depth.

Essentially our ODI strategy is for Warner, Finch and Smith to stay in till the 35th-40th over with a decent total and have Head, Marsh and Stoinis go big at the death. Unfortunately we’re stuffed the second Smith gets out anywhere north of the 35th over. If this is going to be our strategy, we need a more traditional, reliable batsman in our top 4 to get us through to the first 30-40 overs.

It’s pretty obvious though that there’s a discrepancy between how each country views 50 over cricket. England obviously care a lot more.
England are currently ranked top in the ODI rankings. Their game is clearly above ours at the moment. And I use the word CLEARLY. They've made it known publicly, they're not afraid to chase big totals and don't mind bowling first. This in itself is evidence the game has changed. Previously, most decisions would have been to bat first most times. The mindset of the English team is completely different to the past matches that I have seen from them in the ODI.

Regarding Finch, his century deserves applause, but his game wasn't perfect. He was part to blame in contributing the slower rate conversion. There was one thing I repeatedly saw with Finch, that he kept hitting the ball straight to the fielder behind square leg, whenever spin balling ball bowled down legside. I've heard him screamed and cussed loudly on many occasions, and there was one time when the commentators had to apologise on TV for the audible cussing by Finch. What he should have been doing instead was to back down the leg and cut the ball, or hit it over the said fielder. But he kept doing the same shot over and over. There was no real adventure to his game between 50-100 runs.
Of course the other batters all crumbled but that's too obvious to make comments on.

Regarding selection, they're making decisions on form with the bat. It worked for the Test, but not so for the ODI series so far. I feel the problem is more the batting mindset of the players. They need to focus more on the timing of the ball into space, rather than just thinking of fours and sixes. Carey I really liked because his batting performance was the kind of batting that showed the other boys how batting should have been done.

Finch ... kept hitting the ball straight to the fielder behind square leg, whenever spin balling ball bowled down legside.
I think you mean whenever a spinner pitched on or around leg ...? :D ("down legside" would have been a wide, let go).
Kudos to the Poms/bowler for that, bowling to a field.
You can bet that Finch is working on that in the nets.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We fielded poorly this arvo, probably cost ourselves 20-30 including extras.

We fielded poorly this arvo, probably cost ourselves 20-30 including extras.
Most wides for quite some time.

Those extra runs & overs may be the difference.

Happier with the batting order with White at #3, but with Warner going cheaply, the rest are going to have to bat well.

Paine again looking a liability late in the innings. Struggling to keep close to a run a ball when we need him going at well over. He’s just not a big hitter, he’s a slow accumulator who's difficult to get out. Has been running well through the wickets, but just can’t find the boundaries we need.

He’s by no means on his own, Cam White, Steve Smith and Mitch Marsh all ate up too many deliveries for not enough runs. Marsh is worth persisting with at the moment, Smith will sort himself out. Don’t know why White’s in the team...

Back