The end is nigh...

Remove this Banner Ad

We had a midfield core that was once in a generation - Mitchell, Hodge, Lewis, Sewell.

We now have Mitchell, O'Meara and Worpel on the rise. Interestingly none of those players are lethal users of the football - more accumulators. We are crying out for a player who can get 15-20 possessions and absolutely slice open opposition teams with precision. Might need to go to the draft for this as FA is slim pickings for this type of player. From what I've heard, we will be sourcing a KPF from FA and going to the draft for a couple of elite users.

Despite what other's think, our backline has been nothing short of amazing this season. Not much work required there, more tweaking of the existing system. I don't think we are that far off getting back to a 15+ win season with some minor changes. Having Mitchell sit out this season may end up being beneficial for us in the long run as it's helped us expedite decisions on fringe players.
Not that he's getable but I love the look of Will Powell up at GC - moves a lot like Josh Kelly IMO. Would be the perfect type of player to add that class to the midfield.

Completely different lists. It’s not even worth trying to compare.

They have a spine that’s gone relatively untouched for the last 10 years.
And they have been able to gain access to several above average traded players which we haven't been able to get. Dangerfield being the obvious standout. They have been fortunate and their now reaping the benefits of that.

He
People wanting to retire off Popeye are mad. If Cyril hadn't have walked out then they'd still be running riot. Maybe, instead of retiring him off & having ZERO pressure forwards, we look to complement/support him by getting another one & let him fight to keep his position.

We're going to retire/de-list about 8x other guys, it isn't like we need the List Spot. And, he's on relatively low money so it isn't like we need the cash...
He only looks like he has lost a yard of pace because both Saad and Mckenna are grease lightning and make most players look like there in quicksand. If that's what some posters are referring to. Some players are simply quicker than others.

Three of our best precision passers into 50? Schoenmakers, Nash and Lewis. Certainly can't play them all at once, but you'd like at least one

Schoey yes, Nash and Lewis???

Poppy, Roughead, Burgoyne, Birchall their time ended when we won 2015. Everything was always a transition to our next era. Forced retirements are irrelevant because there aren't enough kids screaming for a game, I don't recall a small forward replacement when Cyril retired. Dropping Roughead has only emphasised this, getting rid of them doesn't make a rebuild happen faster.

What can't be ignored is that we have actually fixed issues threatening to spiral out of control along the way. Our midfield looked hopeless in 2016-2017 and our backline was turning into an embarrassment, nearly bottom 4 bad in 2017.

Now we lost our best midfielder and the forward line has turned to crap due due to poor supply and lack of key forwards, it's looking like plugging a leaky boat but I do think we have a reliance on Tom Mitchell and fixing forward line delivery is achievable once Jaeger and Wingard can help take up a hybrid mid roles while Mitchell does the heavy lifting. We are mediocre right now, but being mediocre is okay as long as there is an expectation to get better.

Poppy, Roughead, Burgoyne, Birchall their time ended when we won 2015. Everything was always a transition to our next era. Forced retirements are irrelevant because there aren't enough kids screaming for a game, I don't recall a small forward replacement when Cyril retired. Dropping Roughead has only emphasised this, getting rid of them doesn't make a rebuild happen faster.

What can't be ignored is that we have actually fixed issues threatening to spiral out of control along the way. Our midfield looked hopeless in 2016-2017 and our backline was turning into an embarrassment, nearly bottom 4 bad in 2017.

Now we lost our best midfielder and the forward line has turned to crap due due to poor supply and lack of key forwards, it's looking like plugging a leaky boat but I do think we have a reliance on Tom Mitchell and fixing forward line delivery is achievable once Jaeger and Wingard can help take up a hybrid mid roles while Mitchell does the heavy lifting. We are mediocre right now, but being mediocre is okay as long as there is an expectation to get better.

The light at the end of the tunnel is a top 5 pick and Finn. And potentially a gun FA.

In the past we havent had this, and we had to trade aggressively to turn over the list. It's a different game this time around.

Imagine being Carlton with no early pick this year. It would sting.

We have assets again. If we have a s**t year, there is a silver lining and some hope for a quick turnaround.

Well, they got Dangerfield gifted to them for starters... perennial top 3 player in the league for free..
You’d have to say some good/lucky drafting and development too - Tim Kelly and Tom Stewart come to mind..
Also they’ve had no significant injuries this season which most other clubs have had..

I think we’re also capable of doing a mini rebuild without completely bottoming out..
1) Retirements start with Roughy, Birch, Mirra and Shoey
2) Use all of our draft picks - maybe trade to get more picks if the right deal comes along
3) Find a way to bring Cogs, Patton and possibly poach another young mid and/or small pressure fwd without giving up anything too significant
This already puts us in a strong position for next season with Tom Mitchell returning...

Sorry buddy but number 1 makes no sense as none of these players are making us crap at the present time. I agree they should not be players next season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey Guys dont normally post but had a few thoughts on the season particularly the offseason and i certainly dont think we're anywhere near as bad as we are at the moment and i feel the next 2 years is all about bringing through the youth with its ups and downs. I feel next year we could even be contending for finals with some strong and smart moves.

Most teams usually get rid of 5-6 players in an offseasons therefore my delistings/trade are:
1. Ceglar (Unfortunetely isnt good enough as a forward who rucks or a 1st choice ruckman making him disposable as Pittonet is only a 1st choice ruckman if he will ever make it as a #1 ruckman)
2. Puopolo (unfortunately end of the road for him)
3.Roughead (Same as above)
4. Smith (i feel we have 1 too many wingman and scully is younger and henderson is way better right now, ideally morrison should be cover for them in a natural outside role for him, if we get offerend a 2nd rounder take it and run, sucks to see but is what it is!!.
5. Schoenmakers (Cooked)
6. Dan Howe (should look to trade, just isnt good enough, cant play anywhere but in the guts and in there he is behind Mitchell, O'Meara, Worpel, Cousins, Shiels and hopefully a free agent.

I dont feel we should target any free agent UNLESS he upgrades in the middle, can cover a number of roles. Conoglio is the goal but wouldnt mind something similar to what the roo's did with Shaun Higgins few years back. Older player helps the balance and helps the development.If not just trade low draft capital for Will Powell, etc but 100% DO NOT TRADE OUR FIRST PICK or even second as we will need that for Maguiness. Even if they match Conoglio walk away as id rather Noah Anderson or Rowell gotta build for the future eventually and you dont often get top 4 picks.

Trade: 100% trade for Patton, we have the salary to take him for a RD4/5 draft pick. GWS have Finlayson, Himmelburg and Cameron i feel they need the salary free up with so many stars in that team. Need reasonable expectations on Patton id be happy if he rucks 15% game time and kicks a goal a game. McEvoy is a 90% a game ruckman with his endurance we only need a pinch hitter to support him with natural FWD style of play which Patton has.

my 2020 team:

B: Sicily Frawley Hardwick
HB: Scrimshaw O'Brien Birchall/Stratton/Burgoyne

Many people wrote off Birchall but if he plays 6-8 game at Box Hill, he 100% should get a 1 year deal next year. He is my first choice in that role as he provides great leadership will help the development of everyone and provide direction.I wouldnt mind keeping Burgoyne on a 1 year deal as he can help leadership wise. Stratton well if he plays like 2018 then great he is probs our best backman but Stratton doesnt really provide any leadership on field and is essentially just a shutdown stopper. To Me that backline just needs someone to direct them and Birchall is the best in that role as well as great kicking skills.
I like TOB there, makes mistake but fights and has dare, Frawley is a worry long term to replace but small steps every year.

R: McEvoy O'Meara Mitchell
C: Henderson Conoglio Scully

Thats a strong midfield, Obviously conoglio is dependant on but even getting a Sier, Powell etc will help just need someone there who is realiable and we can help build with and help the development of our younger players.

HF: Gunston Lewis Ross
F: Wingard Patton Breust

Thats a strong forward line if you ask me, Breust and Gunston need to step up and sometimes new faces can help that particuarly with young players. Gunston should have been captain in 2019, next year should be VC with O'Meara for Mitchell. A leadership role should be good for him with Ross. At the end of the day Lewis killed the VFL last year and Ross this year they may not make it but we need to provide the opportunity for them to show us what they have. They've done better at VFL than Schoenmakers, Lisle, TOB ever did so theres talent there we just need to nurture it Lewis and Patton can both ruck and basically all of them can push up the ground if they get tagged.

Interchange: Shiels, Worpel, Impey are all locked in which is a strong 3 with the 4th being any one of
Burgoyne (still provides a role)
Miles ( really should be playing in the FWD line at Box Hill, a solid player thats perfect depth)
Glass (love how he takes the game on, will find his timing with more game time)
Moore (Loved how he looks to move and play fast, something to work with)
Top 3 draftee: Noah Anderson
Finn Maginess (like how our team is good with leaders that we can ease them through which is good for them and good for us)
Stratton: To Me he has to earn his spot next year, let down big time by him this year.
Brand: Solid depth but should never play with TOB and Frawley again (Pick 2, hope Jacob outplays him and we can trade him, solid player but not that at the level)
Nash: Is a small forward the way he plays will find his feet eventually
Cousins: Has some good traits 50/50 to make it
Jiath: Has alot of talent and should get game time next year, just need a strong leader back there to help ease them through similar to what Hodge did for Sicily and Hardwick in 2017, hope its Birchall who can help Jiath, Scrimshaw, TOB etc really develop.
Pittonet: Strong VFL ruckman who has no hope around the ground BUT plays physical and solid depth cover for an injury.
Hanrahan: Solid player who has X-Factor hopefully get a look in next year.
Morrison: Outside player only, solid depth on the wings

That team i feel can contend, but shouldnt be the focus, focus should be development, that team only has 5 players over 30 but there a clear direction to them outside of Henderson (but always fights and tries and a strong player, helping set a standard) Frawley is the only one who i cant see an obvious replacement so that needs to be a focus eventually.

Burgoyne should be in that team but would like to see a younger player push him. Provides leadership and guidance which helps young player stand taller.
McEvoy: Still a good player for us long term needs replacing but as i said few steps every year.
Birchall: Clear role for him to direct and help guide the others, hopefully Jiath replaces him and his leadership provided rubs off on Hardwick, Sicily who then help the development of Jiath etc.

I like that team as their seems to be clear goals for every player. And the older players dont seem super important outside of Frawley and McEvoy, which then helps then next age demographic e.g. O'Meara, Wingard, Mitchell. Conoglio, Sicily etc take on a more gradual leadership role which them eases the transition for Lewis, Jiath, Ross, Moore, Scrimshaw, Worpel etc

Anyways had been thinking of it and would love some feedback. I've given up hope this year so would love to see the kids play and bring some excitement to the fans and older players like in 2017 with Sicily, Hardwick, Burton etc who all looked at home in 2017.

Hey Guys dont normally post but had a few thoughts on the season particularly the offseason and i certainly dont think we're anywhere near as bad as we are at the moment and i feel the next 2 years is all about bringing through the youth with its ups and downs. I feel next year we could even be contending for finals with some strong and smart moves.

Most teams usually get rid of 5-6 players in an offseasons therefore my delistings/trade are:
1. Ceglar (Unfortunetely isnt good enough as a forward who rucks or a 1st choice ruckman making him disposable as Pittonet is only a 1st choice ruckman if he will ever make it as a #1 ruckman)
4. Smith (i feel we have 1 too many wingman and scully is younger and henderson is way better right now, ideally morrison should be cover for them in a natural outside role for him, if we get offerend a 2nd rounder take it and run, sucks to see but is what it is!!.
5. Schoenmakers (Cooked)
6. Dan Howe (should look to trade, just isnt good enough, cant play anywhere but in the guts and in there he is behind Mitchell, O'Meara, Worpel, Cousins, Shiels and hopefully a free agent.

I dont feel we should target any free agent UNLESS he upgrades in the middle, can cover a number of roles. Conoglio is the goal but wouldnt mind something similar to what the roo's did with Shaun Higgins few years back. Older player helps the balance and helps the development.If not just trade low draft capital for Will Powell, etc but 100% DO NOT TRADE OUR FIRST PICK or even second as we will need that for Maguiness. Even if they match Conoglio walk away as id rather Noah Anderson or Rowell gotta build for the future eventually and you dont often get top 4 picks.

Trade: 100% trade for Patton, we have the salary to take him for a RD4/5 draft pick. GWS have Finlayson, Himmelburg and Cameron i feel they need the salary free up with so many stars in that team. Need reasonable expectations on Patton id be happy if he rucks 15% game time and kicks a goal a game. McEvoy is a 90% a game ruckman with his endurance we only need a pinch hitter to support him with natural FWD style of play which Patton has.

my 2020 team:

Many people wrote off Birchall but if he plays 6-8 game at Box Hill, he 100% should get a 1 year deal next year. He is my first choice in that role as he provides great leadership will help the development of everyone and provide direction.I wouldnt mind keeping Burgoyne on a 1 year deal as he can help leadership wise. Stratton well if he plays like 2018 then great he is probs our best backman but Stratton doesnt really provide any leadership on field and is essentially just a shutdown stopper. To Me that backline just needs someone to direct them and Birchall is the best in that role as well as great kicking skills.
I like TOB there, makes mistake but fights and has dare, Frawley is a worry long term to replace but small steps every year.

Thats a strong midfield, Obviously conoglio is dependant on but even getting a Sier, Powell etc will help just need someone there who is realiable and we can help build with and help the development of our younger players.

Thats a strong forward line if you ask me, Breust and Gunston need to step up and sometimes new faces can help that particuarly with young players. Gunston should have been captain in 2019, next year should be VC with O'Meara for Mitchell. A leadership role should be good for him with Ross. At the end of the day Lewis killed the VFL last year and Ross this year they may not make it but we need to provide the opportunity for them to show us what they have. They've done better at VFL than Schoenmakers, Lisle, TOB ever did so theres talent there we just need to nurture it Lewis and Patton can both ruck and basically all of them can push up the ground if they get tagged.

Interchange: Shiels, Worpel, Impey are all locked in which is a strong 3 with the 4th being any one of
Miles ( really should be playing in the FWD line at Box Hill, a solid player thats perfect depth)
Finn Maginess (like how our team is good with leaders that we can ease them through which is good for them and good for us)
Stratton: To Me he has to earn his spot next year, let down big time by him this year.
Brand: Solid depth but should never play with TOB and Frawley again (Pick 2, hope Jacob outplays him and we can trade him, solid player but not that at the level)
Jiath: Has alot of talent and should get game time next year, just need a strong leader back there to help ease them through similar to what Hodge did for Sicily and Hardwick in 2017, hope its Birchall who can help Jiath, Scrimshaw, TOB etc really develop.
Pittonet: Strong VFL ruckman who has no hope around the ground BUT plays physical and solid depth cover for an injury.

That team i feel can contend, but shouldnt be the focus, focus should be development, that team only has 5 players over 30 but there a clear direction to them outside of Henderson (but always fights and tries and a strong player, helping set a standard) Frawley is the only one who i cant see an obvious replacement so that needs to be a focus eventually.

Burgoyne should be in that team but would like to see a younger player push him. Provides leadership and guidance which helps young player stand taller.
McEvoy: Still a good player for us long term needs replacing but as i said few steps every year.
Birchall: Clear role for him to direct and help guide the others, hopefully Jiath replaces him and his leadership provided rubs off on Hardwick, Sicily who then help the development of Jiath etc.

I like that team as their seems to be clear goals for every player. And the older players dont seem super important outside of Frawley and McEvoy, which then helps then next age demographic e.g. O'Meara, Wingard, Mitchell. Conoglio, Sicily etc take on a more gradual leadership role which them eases the transition for Lewis, Jiath, Ross, Moore, Scrimshaw, Worpel etc

Anyways had been thinking of it and would love some feedback. I've given up hope this year so would love to see the kids play and bring some excitement to the fans and older players like in 2017 with Sicily, Hardwick, Burton etc who all looked at home in 2017.

Pretty solid post IMO.
Agree with your sentiments re: forward and back flanks.
We are 2 A grade mids, a KPF and a KPD away.
I would like a bit more outside leg speed also.

Our locks for the next couple of years look like this IMO:

B: Hardwick xxxxxxxxxx Impey
HB: Sicily xxxxxxxxxx Scrimshaw
C: Scully Shields xxxxxxxxx
HF: Wingard Gunners xxxxxxxxx
F: Breust Lewis* xxxxxxxxx
Fol: McEvoy TOM JOM
Int: TOB Worps Moore xxxxxx

Depth: Hendo, Cuz, Harry, Nash, Pitt/Cegs, Ross*, CJ*

If we can jag Cogs as aFA, and with TOM coming back.....our midfield takes on a completely different look.
I would keep our first rounder.....which could be as high as pick 4. Perhaps even try to upgrade to snag Noah Anderson.
2nd rounder is tradable, perhaps with our 2020 first to target an A grade outside player *Whitfield* cough cough.
Finn Comes in as a F/S - early/mid 2nd round I would think.

No doubt we will also trade out a couple of our established players.....Smith the obvious one.
But what we get for them may be negligible if history is anything to go by.

Notice how I haven’t mentioned Patton.....until now.
2 words.....No thanks.

I finish on one note.
The sky is not falling.
A year (or 2 if need be) towards the lower end of the ladder is not the worst thing in the world.
The alternative is we sit in no mans land, mid table, and go no-where.
Back our system in to bring in some young players and get back up wher we should be in the next couple of years.
Clarko has done it twice before, and I back him in to do it again.

5. Schoenmakers (Cooked)

my 2020 team:

I respect your views but I'd like you point out that you have stated that this/next year is about bringing in youth, and then include only 4 (Worpel, Ross - who hasn't actually played a game yet, Scrimshaw and Lewis in your 2020 side). We need more than that unfortunately.

Gunner
Bruest
Smith
Shiels

(ducks for cover)

Only player that we would get value for is Gunston, and I think we'd be mad to trade him.

No one is giving up a first rounder for Shiels and Smith. Breust is quality despite his form, so I think we could get one for him but IMO they are worth more to us on the list than to move them on for second rounders.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back