The free kick that ended the saints season

Remove this Banner Ad

they paid chopping the arms not front on contact, when there was side on contact, and milne was facing harry o because the ball was momentarily in his hands (not a mark), if BT and the channel 7 lads think its a bad call, then its a bad call.

he didn't touch him for **** sake...
Yes he did for christ's sake...
Yes, I was unaware it is a free kick if you nearly touch a Collingwood player.
If you take his arms then it is, that is the rule
It does when it appears only Collingwood supporters are defending it.

I, like many in this thread, am impartial. Milne only took his eyes off the footy once; prior to the contest to judge it. O'Brien's arms weren't chopped, nor was he knocked off balance, nor was there any front-on contact. If there was any contact (which there probably was, but there's nothing definitely conclusive either way), it was Milne going for the footy and nothing else, and he did it within fair grounds.

If you genuinely believe there was a free kick there, we honestly may as well be playing netball.
He jumped into the contest and got nowhere near the ball, that is not "going for it within fair grounds". Instead, he hit OBrien's arm and compromised his ability to take the mark.

Just reinforced that Harry O'Brien is also one of the protected species free kick wise.

He jumped into the contest and got nowhere near the ball, that is not "going for it within fair grounds". Instead, he hit OBrien's arm and compromised his ability to take the mark.
Could you provide genuine evidence of this? I'd recommend it. People might start to care for your opinion if you do.

Could you provide genuine evidence of this? I'd recommend it. People might start to care for your opinion if you do.
What are you talking about? You can see on the replay, Milne hits O'Brien's arm in the bicep region. The ball was nowhere near that, it was near O'Brien's hands (because he was marking it). He has interfered with him marking the ball. It's not rocket science FFS.

What are you talking about? You can see on the replay, Milne hits O'Brien's arm in the bicep region. The ball was nowhere near that, it was near O'Brien's hands (because he was marking it). He has interfered with him marking the ball. It's not rocket science FFS.
I see what you mean.

265970.jpg

Hits O'Brien's arm, not watching the ball, ball nowhere near... :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is one of the rules that I hate the most, mainly because didak is really good at spoiling this way and without making any real contact. But... every single time he does this, he gets a free kick against him. I've seen it paid numerous times even when there's no contact at all.

So, regardless of the score, or the stage of the game, the umpire made the correct decision according to the rules (although he called the wrong infringement). Don't blame the umpire, blame the rule. I think unless an actual infringement happens e.g. chopping the arm, high contact etc., then it shouldn't matter which way you're facing.

But I guess it's there to prevent players from being shirt-fronted by opponents that have no eyes for the ball. It's a silly rule though when there's very little contact made.

As for the decision itself, I was at the game and we all thought it was a mark, not a free anyway.

The time has come to have a major clean out at the AFL. Perhaps certain umpires would fit in nicely in Turkestan. If reference not understood, check the boxing scandal at the Olympics. The clubs need to take a stand. Give an ultimatum to the Commision. "Clean up your act or we will fire you and install a more competent one."

Well said & I wholeheartedly agree with you.

I've never seen so many free kicks given to a teams defenders at one end and against the other teams defenders at the other. The saints got robbed blind. The final call against Milne was just the icing on the cake.

[quote="Sc.
Haven't you been paying attention lately. Umpires have been brain washed by the Vic media and sooking Vic coaches and now the Eagles don't get paid free's even when they are there. In fact the umps seem to be going out of their way to even up the count so they don't get criticised. Gaff and Selwood were ripped off totally.

That bozo who called play on when Gaff marked the ball, was tackled and Freo walked into goal was up there for clanger decisions for the year.

At least the purple scum were far enough in front so the bad umpiring didn't actually win the game for them, Saints should be pissed off big time about that call. Goddard certainly was.

Why do opposition supporters take it personally when umpiring is questioned
Last night was about Margets and three blatant stuff ups - not Harry or Milne
Friday night wasn't about Duncan or Cyril

It's about umpires and IMO geishin who constantly defend incorrect decisions instead of fining them or not umpiring the following week when it's an absolute howler. Better still make it full time and then make them accountable just like everyone else is who has a job - this bullshit about protecting umps because they can't get enough of them needs to stop.

Why do opposition supporters take it personally when umpiring is questioned
Last night was about Margets and three blatant stuff ups - not Harry or Milne
Friday night wasn't about Duncan or Cyril
I think all supporters are biased. So they think that umpiring was less generous to them than it actually was. I think that the umpiring was **** overall, and not just against St Kilda. I thought St Kilda got the rub of the green in the third quarter and the opposite in the fourth quarter. However, I could think this because I'm biased, but there was a run of calls in the 3rd quarter against us which were horrendous.
It's about umpires and IMO geishin who constantly defend incorrect decisions instead of fining them or not umpiring the following week when it's an absolute howler. Better still make it full time and then make them accountable just like everyone else is who has a job - this bullshit about protecting umps because they can't get enough of them needs to stop.
I know. He makes up the rules as he goes along so long as it agrees with the officiating umpire's decision.

Saints were robbed, the Umpire should be dropped, the AFL should award the Saints the 4 points, Milne should get an apology, Harry should get 4 weeks for accepting the free, Collingwood should be relegated to 5th on the ladder.
Anything else I need to cover? oh yeah...I blame Eddie

Remove this Banner Ad

Back