The Front Bar vs. The Footy Show last night

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL, as a professional sport, probably justifies 2 shows a week.

One is On The Couch, to sum up and analyse the weekend's play.

One is Marn Grook/League Teams, after teams are announced. Both could do a much more thorough job of discussing the ins and outs.

That's it. That's all the analysis and news that is required.

(throw in Open Mike or a similar historical show if you want).

Last edited:
Front bar all the way!! lots of laughs Especially Pang he's hilarious with his witty humor. The guests all look relaxed on the show too. I guess putting a beer in front of them does that.
I Switched over to the footy Show during breaks but just couldn't watch for long just to cringey and boring it's really turned in to utter garbage.

The Front Bar is the better show. Like Bounce, it's genuinely funny and has a faster pace. I like Sam on The Footy Show but the combination of Molloy and Pang is better. The Footy Show improved when Eddie came back but I still feel like it's a dinosaur program, much like Hey Hey It's Saturday.

For all the people bagging The Front Bar for promoting Carlton Draught they even made a gag about that last night.

They showed some old footage of Hawthorn celebrating a premiership back in the 80s with loaves of tip top bread which must have been a sponsor of theirs.

Then Sam said something like "that sort of crass product placement is just disgusting", then they all raised their glasses with the Carlton Draught logo on it and said "I'll drink to that".

Front bar all the way!! lots of laughs Especially Pang he's hilarious with his witty humor. The guests all look relaxed on the show too. I guess putting a beer in front of them does that.
I Switched over to the footy Show during breaks but just couldn't watch for long just to cringey and boring it's really turned in to utter garbage.

Even Tim Watson was funny when he was on there as a guest a few weeks ago and he's usually as dull as dishwater on Talking Footy and as a commentator.

He told some ripping yarns about his early days at Essendon.

With their guests there's very little serious footy talk it's mostly about them telling funny stories from the old days.

AFL GF Footy Show 432k, Front Bar GF 299k

That's not saying much, s**t like Big Bang Theory and The Block rate well too.

AFL GF Footy Show 432k, Front Bar GF 299k
Hmmm...gone all quiet suddenly. If I want to laugh, I'll watch 2.5 Men. If I want entertainment and some footy I go Footy Show.
Maher = dead mullet
Molloy = I'll interrupt if I want to
Pang = Need extra ears to understand him.

I think good win by The Footy Show last night - solid numbers but well below what it used to rate, I think a one off good result due to it being the grand final edition.

But it does cost a lot more than the Front Bar as well.

I still reckon the Footy Show is struggling myself.

I think good win by The Footy Show last night - solid numbers but well below what it used to rate, I think a one off good result due to it being the grand final edition.

I would say so. Heard on ABC radio yesterday that after an initial bump when Eddie came back, the Front Bar has been winning most weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This season I've managed to completely avoid most TV AFL 'chat' shows - I moved to podcasts. Titus and Sergio's Variety Hour and Two Guys One Cup manage be both funnier and more analytical than anything on offer on TV. I still tune in to The Front Bar now and then, but as a Crow's supporter, The Footy Show is an absolute waste of time.

Always loved the Footy Show, and think those type of shows are still good but the execution of the footy show has gone downhill since JB and Gary Lyon left, we got a turnover of talent but now there back to square one. Those 2 are both still good to listen to on the radio so just unfortunate they left for whatever reasons. Just think guys on the show now, are not the personalities that need on there.

-Sam Newman while still ok is very outdated and seems too scripted now. They try to make him the main focus of the show when its clearly past him a little, just cut back on focusing on him.
-Eddie is a decent host but also not that entertaining, also very outdated.
-Bec just doesnt seem natural and seems to have forced scripted banter with the others which seems very try hard. (the girl, forgot her name, from before the bounce was funny and worked as a female presenter on a footy show)
-Shane and Billy are funny but in small doses, so they can still play a small part but need new main panelists for the to work off of.

Front bar is pretty good, have a decent set up, bring in good guests and seems to be a more funny show. I wont tune in every week like the old footy show, but ill watch it over the footy show at the moment.

I think also we are over saturated with AFL shows and the TV talent is spread over a few networks, if the footy show had access to majority of the talent we could have Dunstall as a recurring panelist or few others with foxtel contracts.

Love front bar.
The light hearted humour consistently gives me a laugh where as footy show just talks s**t and drags on at that.
The best thing about front bar is bringing back the old school players and hearing the funny stuff that went on back in the day.
Any current listed player can't exactly give the same insight until they have retired and are censored to a degree about what they can say about the opposition etc.

The front bar format of just a few guys sitting around talking s**t with a bit of wit is miles ahead of the grandiose stage show that the footy show tries to put on as far as my enjoyment goes. Too many cooks when it comes to the footy show and the personalities that dominate have become incredibly tired and out dated. The interviews with the guests just have a much more natural flow and since they don't have a million segments they need to check off they can have these people come in and tell stories that you wouldn't get in the way the footy show conducts their interviews.

Hmmm...gone all quiet suddenly. If I want to laugh, I'll watch 2.5 Men. If I want entertainment and some footy I go Footy Show.
Maher = dead mullet
Molloy = I'll interrupt if I want to
Pang = Need extra ears to understand him.

QONVIyz.gif

Laughed so much at the Front Bar, TFS was cringe every time I switched over.

I don't see how the ratings results were a good thing for TFS. Its a 20 year show vs a first year show, TFS still lives off its reputation of the biggest footy show. I wouldn't be surprised if many TFS viewers didn't even know Front Bar existed.

I still think Newman is great but he isn't being used properly. His rants and segments are stale.

Decided to record The Front Bar last night, had never seen any of it before due to my distaste for Maher and Malloy but thought I'd have a look to see what all the fuss is about.

Was not disappointed. It was actually entertaining and that Sam Pang has the all too rare gift of being genuinely funny without coming across as if he's trying too hard.

If last nights two shows are anything to go by then by the first few rounds of next year The Footy Show will be finally canned (if it makes it to next year)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back