Australian basketball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Apparently Thybulle and Simmons can make the Olympics even if they make the NBA Finals.
Im a 76ers fan Thybulle has come a lot in recent times. If Giddey makes the team he would probably go to the US and do workouts with teams a bit earlier than the other draftees. There have been a few guys who have done that before from memory.

Will Magnay is likely coming to Perth. I really like his athleticism and I'd have him in the team ahead of Humphries for his defence. He is quite a bit like a young Baynes but he already has a good three point shot. Bryce Cotton should also be eligible by the games and I think Nathan Sobey is still a chance as he's been terrific in the NBL.
If Humphries didn’t get injured he would be considered for MVP. They will clash against each other in a couple week. I consider Humphries is a better rim protector than Magnay.

I think it would be unwise to assume anyone is a lock to turn up given the covid situation. Can’t blame them either. Only hope is that they American based players have all gotten the vaccine and are comfortable to come on that basis.

I think it would be unwise to assume anyone is a lock to turn up given the covid situation. Can’t blame them either. Only hope is that they American based players have all gotten the vaccine and are comfortable to come on that basis.
American based players having their vaccines in US. Vaccinated players get relaxed protocols if they are vaccinated.

Giddy IMHO.

I wonder where he gets drafted
Last rankings has him climbing to 13 in mock drafts. It will al depend on the workouts for him. If he can surprise a bit with his athletic profile he will go top 10. He's grown to be 203cm so that wont hurt his chances.

Dyson Daniels a 197cm point guard is also making noise with great play at underage level. He is projected to go at 16 in 2022. Will be a giant backcourt for future Boomers teams if Simmons, Giddey and Daniels all play.

Last rankings has him climbing to 13 in mock drafts. It will al depend on the workouts for him. If he can surprise a bit with his athletic profile he will go top 10. He's grown to be 203cm so that wont hurt his chances.

Dyson Daniels a 197cm point guard is also making noise with great play at underage level. He is projected to go at 16 in 2022. Will be a giant backcourt for future Boomers teams if Simmons, Giddey and Daniels all play.

I've seen a few mocks with giddy top10.

It's be nice if he gets to the sixers.

Nice Simmons rotation / huge pg

I've seen a few mocks with giddy top10.

It's be nice if he gets to the sixers.

Nice Simmons rotation / huge pg
He is definitely making waves. LaMelo Ball's averaged 17.0 points, 7.6 rebounds, 6.8 assists in the nbl. Giddey averages 11.4 points, 7.6 assists and 7 rebounds a game. His ability to get other players involved in the offence with his play making is just as good as Ball was in the NBL and he grew a couple of cm to now be 203cm. Considering how good Patty Mills has been despite being one of the smallest players playing big minutes for their country at the Olympics in recent time it would be quite funny for the opposition if we had Simmons and Giddey starting at the Olympics after japan.

As a defensive rotation:

PG: Mills, Dellevedova
SG: Ingles, Exum (should be fit), Goulding
SF: Thybulle, Broekhoff, Creek
PF: Simmons, Landale
C: Baynes, Maker
Josh Green will make the team ahead of Creek. He is great complimentary player for the dribble penetration of Mills, Ingles and Simmons. Bryce Cotton will also be available to play. It could end up being a choice between him or Goulding. Id pick Bryce.

Josh Green will make the team ahead of Creek. He is great complimentary player for the dribble penetration of Mills, Ingles and Simmons. Bryce Cotton will also be available to play. It could end up being a choice between him or Goulding. Id pick Bryce.
Goulding's ability to be a catch and shoot player off the bench is very handy in tight games, provides a different look. I like Cotton but I'm taking Goulding right now.

Can't have both Cotton & Thybulle though
Yep... there’s a lot of people want cotton over thybulle. Thybulle will be one of the most valuable players in this team. I believe his defence will take us into that next step and medal for the first time. Benefits of using Thybulle is he can play the 4 in FIBA comps as most teams are not tall like the US.

Goulding's ability to be a catch and shoot player off the bench is very handy in tight games, provides a different look. I like Cotton but I'm taking Goulding right now.
I’m taking Goulding just for his 3 ball. Playing with Simmons he will get a lot of open looks.

Yep... there’s a lot of people want cotton over thybulle. Thybulle will be one of the most valuable players in this team. I believe his defence will take us into that next step and medal for the first time. Benefits of using Thybulle is he can play the 4 in FIBA comps as most teams are not tall like the US.
Thybulle can shut down any PG, SG or SF in the world. Having a player who can blanket the oppositions best scorer or playmaker is invaluable in International competition. Pair him with Simmons and the opponents second banana from PG to C won't do much better. Australia will have the most effective defensive pairing in International basketball.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Thybulle can shut down any PG, SG or SF in the world. Having a player who can blanket the oppositions best scorer or playmaker is invaluable in International competition. Pair him with Simmons and the opponents second banana from PG to C won't do much better. Australia will have the most effective defensive pairing in International basketball.

In 3 years, add Green in the mix and we’ll have a trio that will be very good defensive players. The golden generation is really only starting now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im a Sixers fan. Thbulle has a 7 foot wingspan. He could easily defend the 4 at international level. Small ball Simmons at the centre with Thybulle at the 4 would give us some serious speed if we chose to use it. The sixers put Thybulle on Anthony Davis early this year and he did a great job.

In 3 years, add Green in the mix and we’ll have a trio that will be very good defensive players. The golden generation is really only starting now.
I think the Boomers will want him in the system as soon as possible. He plays great defence already. There is another player wgo looks like being a long term boomer in Dyson Daniles. He's a 197cm point guard and also a son of an import in the NBL. He is dynamite on defence. Early NBA mocks for 2022 have him him going 16 ish.

I think the Boomers will want him in the system as soon as possible. He plays great defence already. There is another player wgo looks like being a long term boomer in Dyson Daniles. He's a 197cm point guard and also a son of an import in the NBL. He is dynamite on defence. Early NBA mocks for 2022 have him him going 16 ish.

It’s pretty much green or creek for Tokyo

Yeah you can. Thybulle was born in Australia.
Nah, you can't.
His being born in Australia is irrelevant, just as Aron Baynes being born in NZ is irrelevant to any claims that the Tall Blacks have on him.

Thybulle is classified by FIBA as naturalised, and we can have only one naturalised player on the team.
Same decision we have to make with Mitchell & Whitcomb for the Opals.

Nah, you can't.
His being born in Australia is irrelevant, just as Aron Baynes being born in NZ is irrelevant to any claims that the Tall Blacks have on him.

Thybulle is classified by FIBA as naturalised, and we can have only one naturalised player on the team.
Same decision we have to make with Mitchell & Whitcomb for the Opals.
Thybulle kept his passport up to date. He's definitely a dual citizen who was never had to get naturalised. He is in the same category as Baynes was when he had a choice of who to play for. His parents and sister gain citisenship when he was 2 which means he automatically is also considered a citizen under FIBA rules.

I know a few connected to the Wildcats in WA via my job. Basketball oz still wants Cotton to get naturlized and it wont be a choice between Thybulle and him.

It's a no-brainer that BA would want Cotton naturalised. It's very rare that the NBA schedule allows players to leave & play for their "home" countries, so most times the Boomers play they wouldn't have the option of Thybulle. For those tournaments Cotton would be one of the first picked.

I hope you're right that we're allowed both because I think there are roles for both. But until I hear it somewhere more official than "I know people", I'll believe what our national team's coach says about the situation.
Goorjian has previously said he would consider selecting the Perth Wildcats star in his Boomers squad if Cotton received his Australian citizenship, but it remains unclear if this will happen.
For now, Cotton’s selection in the Boomers squad for the Tokyo Olympics is very much uncertain given the one naturalised player per national team rule.
“We can only take one (naturalised player),” Goorjian said.
“A decision (has) to be made.”

Josh Giddey has shut it down for the rest of the NBL season in preparation for the NBA draft. He may have been given a nod and a wink by an NBA team.

Josh Giddey has shut it down for the rest of the NBL season in preparation for the NBA draft. He may have been given a nod and a wink by an NBA team.

Hope whoever takes him gives him starting minutes.

It's a no-brainer that BA would want Cotton naturalised. It's very rare that the NBA schedule allows players to leave & play for their "home" countries, so most times the Boomers play they wouldn't have the option of Thybulle. For those tournaments Cotton would be one of the first picked.

I hope you're right that we're allowed both because I think there are roles for both. But until I hear it somewhere more official than "I know people", I'll believe what our national team's coach says about the situation.

Well he was naturalised when he was 2. Im not sure now. Tomorrow there is the 16 man squad announcement. Sobey has been added.

Can’t believe Sobey didn’t make that initial squad, that was farcical.
Is Exum available do you know? If not then two of Green, Goulding, Sobey and Creek make it I think. Sobey really has improved since the World Champs. He was a late comer to basketball and would be a good addition as he is athletic and can guard onball at a high level.

If he gets to the 16 man training camp he could move past Delly too. He really gives the Boomers a more athletic look than Delly when paired with Mills in the backcourt. Ingles or Simmons can play the point in offence so Mills and Sobey could be essentially off ball shooters who share bringing up the ball.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back