Australian basketball.

Remove this Banner Ad

There's a good twitter thread here that includes the paywalled stuff

So pissweak of BA to muzzle the players and not let them speak about this. They created this monster and then let the players deal with the fallout, I really feel for them.

Will be interesting to see if there is any kickback in the States from these new revelations. I doubt it however.

So pissweak of BA to muzzle the players and not let them speak about this. They created this monster and then let the players deal with the fallout, I really feel for them.

Will be interesting to see if there is any kickback in the States from these new revelations. I doubt it however.
That aspect will be interesting.
The incident spread like wildfire among the WNBA community at the time, as quite a number of them started subtweeting about it. So clearly everyone there knew, but Liz kept playing for Vegas as if nothing happened. Then even more surprisingly to me she got traded to LA this season, who already have the Ogwumike sisters playing for them.
So if anything happened to her now it would be purely for show, not because they thought her actions deserved punishment.

It's such a shame, I think. Liz really had the opportunity to be such an icon and an ambassador for Australian basketball. All that is up in smoke, completely of her own doing (even though she won't admit it).

WNBA got their heads deep in the sand on this. Using an image of Liz to promote tomorrow morning's Sparks game, and plenty of the replies letting them know about it.

LA Sparks teammates have rallied around Australian basketball outcast Liz Cambage, declaring “we have Liz’s back” and they’d privately addressed her racist and violent outburst from a pre-Olympic practice match while playing for the Opals.
Cambage’s outrageous behaviour with the Opals was exposed by News Corp on Sunday with video showing her violent elbow to a Nigerian player in a practice match in Las Vegas while multiple players for both Australia and Nigeria confirmed she used racist marks during the heated game last year.

Cambage has yet to comment on the revelations, but her WNBA teammates have come out in support claiming they had “addressed’ the issue prior to the Australian joining their team this season and she deserved a second chance.

Speaking after the Sparks claimed a 85-83 win over Minnesota Lynx on Sunday, in which Cambage scored 15 points, Nigerian-American Nneka Ogwumike said her team had moved on from the issue.

“We got past it, so whatever agenda is happening with it resurfacing that is other peoples’ business,” said Nneka Ogwumike, who is a Nigerian-American and a former WNBA MVP.

“Quite frankly we talked about it before she came to the team and granted people have their own accounts of what happened, but we addressed it and talk about how important it is for us to be together and be transparent.

“And also (we) empower giving people second chances you know.

“I think she could probably have more to say to her side of the story but as a team we talked about it and addressed it for what it is.

“Anything else is really not anyone else’s business unless Liz comes out and says what she wants to say, that’s kind of all I have to say.”

Teammate Chennedy Carter then added: “And we have Liz’s back.”

Sparks coach Derek Fisher confirmed team management had spoken with the players about signing Cambage during the free agency period but added that as her behaviour occurred during time with the Australian camp neither the Sparks nor the WNBA were privy to the outcomes of the investigation.

“There were conversations we had in free agency and leading up to making decisions about how we put the roster together,” Fisher said.

“I think we can be clear on just where we stand in general, we don’t really respond as much to rumours and allegations.

Liz has had her say...my favourite bits:

“I am very disappointed and hurt by the events and accusations that have unfolded in the Australian media.

“The recount of what took place is inaccurate and misleading.

“I did not use the racial slur towards the Nigerian team that has been circulating.

“After I unintentionally fouled a Nigerian player on court I was then physically assaulted by this player on the sideline of my bench. I was hit in the face and pushed to the ground but I walked away. Prior to the game l asked to sit out because I was concerned about my mental and physical health, which I have addressed publicly.

Having seen the footage of the foul that started it...geeze Liz.

Also, Andrew Bogut is such a garbage person, his comments:

“You’ve just got the PG version, there was much more than that — I’m just glad someone’s come out and said it,” Australian basketball great Andrew Bogut told 2GB radio at the time. “It was beyond despicable." “There’s much more in there that you can’t say on radio … there’s some other words that you can never repeat, that I’d never even say, to be honest with you.”

Pure clickbait bullshit. We have the report now, with details from both sides (The Opals and Nigerian teams) and we know exactly what was said.

“I am very disappointed and hurt by the events and accusations that have unfolded in the Australian media.

“I did not use the racial slur towards the Nigerian team that has been circulating.

“After I unintentionally fouled a Nigerian player on court I was then physically assaulted by this player on the sideline of my bench. I was hit in the face and pushed to the ground but I walked away. Prior to the game l asked to sit out because I was concerned about my mental and physical health, which I have addressed publicly.

“You’ve just got the PG version, there was much more than that — I’m just glad someone’s come out and said it,” Australian basketball great Andrew Bogut told 2GB radio at the time. “It was beyond despicable." “There’s much more in there that you can’t say on radio … there’s some other words that you can never repeat, that I’d never even say, to be honest with you.”

Pure clickbait bullshit. We have the report now, with details from both sides (The Opals and Nigerian teams) and we know exactly what was said.
Unintentionally fouled... delusional stuff for Liz.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be fair there have been numerous reports saying the exact same thing including Jenna O'Hea referring to racist remarks. In this incidence I would think the report would include confirmed remarks which is fair enough in the official reports. There was also references to the build up to the incident with racism being raised. Liz has form making racist remarks. I work in education teaching students with mental health issues. She has bipolar tendencies. i hope she is getting the support she needs.

To be fair there have been numerous reports saying the exact same thing including Jenna O'Hea referring to racist remarks. In this incidence I would think the report would include confirmed remarks which is fair enough in the official reports. There was also references to the build up to the incident with racism being raised. Liz has form making racist remarks. I work in education teaching students with mental health issues. She has bipolar tendencies. i hope she is getting the support she needs.

I'm not sure I understand your point?

I was in no way standing up for Cambage. She is a POS who makes Ben Simmons look like a team player.

I was criticising Bogut for his comments he was basically suggesting she used the N word.

I also disagree that she may have said worse in the leadup to the incident. It would be in the report and the media clearly have a copy of the report, so if the leadup was worse, it would have been reported.

I'm not sure I understand your point?

I was in no way standing up for Cambage. She is a POS who makes Ben Simmons look like a team player.

I was criticising Bogut for his comments he was basically suggesting she used the N word.

I also disagree that she may have said worse in the leadup to the incident. It would be in the report and the media clearly have a copy of the report, so if the leadup was worse, it would have been reported.
Yeah I get that. He wasn't the only one saying that. He was quoting a rumour that had circulated.

he presented it as fact. I'm a fan of Bogut as a player, I have a ball signed by him sitting on my shelf but as a person...not so much.
To be fair he'd know if he'd had contact with any Opals players who said otherwise.In all honesty it wouldn't surprise me if basketball officials from both countries didn't realise any information to add fuel to the fire in terms of media coverage and erred on the side of caution. Jenna O'Hea sounded like she was annoyed that her comment wasn't believed it seems about going back to your 3rd World Country. Ive done offical reports for incidents in my job as a teacher. Any incidents involving staff have to include only information that can be proven. So allegations that are unrpven but still made would be left out of such reports. I don't think O'Hea would have gone to the media if she thought the whole story would come out.

Dyson Daniels looks good, like really really good. Especially after his big growth spurt.

He's basically morphed from a combo guard into a legitimate two way wing at 6-8.

Being described as Marcus Smart 2.0 that can play 1-4. by a lot of the US based scouts and talk that he's surging up boards to the point of almost a fringe lottery pick. Most the same US journo's had him as the most impressive guy at the pro workouts.

I get the feeling he may end up being the best of the lot in terms of our prospects. He's developed at an incredible rate the last year or so.

Thybulle, Daniels and Green will be a great defensive back court down the track.

Last edited:
Dyson Daniels looks good, like really good. Especially after his big growth spurt.

He's basically morphed from a combo guard into a legitimate two way wing at 6-8.

Being described as Marcus Smart 2.0 that can play 1-4. by a lot of the US based scouts and talk that he's surging up boards to the point of almost a fringe lottery pick. Most the same US journo's had him as the most impressive guy at the pro workouts.

I get the feeling he may end up being the best of the lot in terms of our prospects. He's developed at an incredible rate the last year or so.

Thybulle, Daniels and Green will be a great defensive back court down the track.
Thybulle, Daniels, green, Exum, Simmons. Teams couldn’t score against that. Sure, we in turn wouldn’t be able to score but whatevs

Thybulle, Daniels, green, Exum, Simmons. Teams couldn’t score against that. Sure, we in turn wouldn’t be able to score but whatevs

Giddy will score for fun in FIBA ball.

As for Daniels, I don't think he belongs in the Giddy, Thybulle and Exum shooting discussions.

His shot looks nice, just looks like he took a bit of time to adjust from the HS 3 pt line to the G-League NBA line.

He shot 45% from 3 in his last 9 games in the G-League.

Where he ends up will be key, there's talk he might go as high as #4, which is the Kings shudder.

I think Portland would be a nice spot for him at #7, not sure he lasts that long anymore though.

Some decent shooting on show here.

Last edited:
Dyson Daniels looks good, like really really good. Especially after his big growth spurt.

Think he’s been talked up well past fringe lottery, that’s pretty much where he started the year. Talk was that he was generating “top 5 buzz” after the combine. I’d say he should go top 10.

I’d take him top 5 (probably at 4) the same way I would’ve taken Giddey 3rd off the board last year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back