The greatest injustice in the afl since.....

Remove this Banner Ad

23 free kicks to the Lions and 16 free kicks to the Dockers. The greatest injustice in the AFL???

I must have missed the rule that says the free kick count should be equal.

I thought they had to be earned e.g. Tackling a player who has had prior opportunity.

23 free kicks to the Lions and 16 free kicks to the Dockers. The greatest injustice in the AFL???
We probably should have got 30.
So if the Hill goal was fair how about the' holding the man' free
Clark should have been paid in the Lions goal square? Now even
he wouldn't have missed from there.
So that's 3 goals stolen. BL 98 def Fre 82.

how that second to last goal dockers got wasnt a free to risane for holding the ball ill never know. probably cost brisbane the game. clearly holding the ball.

although this was the gabba the fact is brisane and sydney especially have always got rough treatment from umpires away from home...

umpires are influenced by crowds too much.

It was 18 to the Dockers. But don't let counting get in the way of the straw-man you are building. Please continue...

Umpires made mistakes both ways. In the end, you guys got more free kicks. Not sure how you can blame the umpires. Ive never seen a game that umpires mistakes are 50/50 to each team.

How many times can opposition rucks can run and jump into Sandilands body without going for the ball? What about the amount of soft blocking free kicks that went against Freo?

You guys lost because of injuries and a dumb sub rule. You were the best team on the night. But say that the umpires gave us the victory is pure bs.

465 frees to Freo last year, compared to 370 for us.

We lost fair and Square and they had more scoring shots and who saying they wouldn't have turned it over and then Fremantle kicks a goal.

WTF. Lions averaged 16.8 frees for last year 16th in the league and Freo averaged 19.4 free for 9th in the league. Thats 2.6 free kicks difference per game.

Not really sure how that relates to the first game in 2011.

I was just following your lead of throwing in irrelevant stats. A free kick count means nothing, it's whether they were there or not that matters.

As i've already mentioned, it's the position and the time that a free kick is paid. Getting a few soft holding free kicks to Black in the middle of the ground IS NOT equal to gettng a free kick leading to a shot on goal, especially when it is an extremely soft free kick and in the dying minutes of a game. To pay such a soft free kick when the game is on the line so close to goals is just wrong. If they were paying them like that all game, then i wouldn't have a problem.

Anyone who says Hill wasn't caught holding the ball is in denial in a big way. Freo got 2 goals in the end DIRECTLY from bad umpiring calls which gave them the lead and the win. It is that simple, no matter what the free kick count. It could have been 30-2 free kicks, those 2 were still horrible and we still would have been hard done by, simply because those 2 decisions cost us the game.

Sure the free count doesn't tell the whole story.

So your argument to debunk the theory that one specific decision cost us the game is that the overall free count was in favour of us, yet at the same time the free count in favour of us wasn't the whole story?

Clear as mud.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not saying that this was the only controversial free kick, but i saw a replay of the Hill incident, and after he got tackled, the ball came loose, and landed on his foot, thus being ruled a kick. So technically, the umpire can't pay that, because he did dispose of it, even if accidentally. But like i said, there were probably other incidents, which i have not seen.

So mentioning the free count on Saturday nite doesn't relate to umpire decisions on Saturday nite?

If you are arguing that free kick counts represent a general bias, then my post demonstrates that Freo tend to get a much better run than us.

But if not, then this whole tangent is irrelevant. So we got a few extra free kicks because Pavlich kept kicking the ball out of bounds. What does this have to do with the two contentious decisions at the end of the game?

Hill's foot did not make contact with the ball before it hit the ground.

Yeah, the multiple replays on T.V. showed that he clearly missed it.

It is bizarre we are still getting people coming onto this thread to support a decision that was so obviously wrong. It is like they are trying to demonstrate 2+2 really does equal 5.........

I think for our own sake we should close this thread and move on. This isn't the first and nor will it be the last game we lost and should have won, for whatever reason.

There were a lot of promising things about last night's game, but in the end if you're relying on decent umpiring in the last few minutes to win you're at best running a big risk.

I think for our own sake we should close this thread and move on. This isn't the first and nor will it be the last game we lost and should have won, for whatever reason.

There were a lot of promising things about last night's game, but in the end if you're relying on decent umpiring in the last few minutes to win you're at best running a big risk.

Don't mention the war eh?

Look, at first it was to vent. Now it is just amusing. In a day or two the thread will be forgotten and so will the issue. Let's not get too precious, we have now certainly got a long season ahead.

Not that it changes anything but... Mark Robbo Robinson from the Herald sun, things he doesnt like from the weekends footy, This was number 1.

1. Game-changing umpiring decisions

Don't know who the ump was and understand it was a difficult decision, but not pulling up Fremantle's Stephen Hill for incorrect disposal with 3.30-odd to play robbed Brisbane of one of the great wins. James Polkinghorne's chase was not rewarded and it should have been. The free ball ended up with Ryan Crowley who kicked to Nathan Fyfe in the goalsquare for the penultimate goal. Heartbreaking for Voss and the Lions.

Umpires made mistakes both ways. In the end, you guys got more free kicks. Not sure how you can blame the umpires. Ive never seen a game that umpires mistakes are 50/50 to each team.

How many times can opposition rucks can run and jump into Sandilands body without going for the ball? What about the amount of soft blocking free kicks that went against Freo?

You guys lost because of injuries and a dumb sub rule. You were the best team on the night. But say that the umpires gave us the victory is pure bs.
If this was a one off occasion I would be annoyed but the trend over the last few years says without question I think that there is a general umpiring bias against the Lions. Its not just that we finished last its that we get dudded on game changing decisions (and non-decisions) week after week after week. Blatantly wrong umpiring calls at crucial times cost us the game. It happened regularly last year and the trend continues this year.

All we are after is a fair go and the umpiring fraternity just has not allowed that. I hope our new admin team with its AFL connections really start to apply the blowtorch to Geishen because this should not be good enough.

Mark Robbo Robinson from the Herald sun, things he doesnt like from the weekends footy, This was number 1.

Surprisingly, Robbo has been one of the only "experts" (and I say that very loosely) footy journos who have been supportive of the Lions efforts and critical of the umps since the game and usually I can't stand him. I have seen all of the footy shows post game (which is not usual, but hey its round one), from Nathan Brown's bullshit analysis of our game on the Sunday Footy show to the crap that that pretentious w***er "Ralphy" spurted on that new One HD footy show and even the non-existant comments on After the Bounce, but I will give Robbo and the two presenters on SEN yesterday at 10:30am a :thumbsu: up for actually providing an insightful and correct analysis of the game...end ratnt!

I hope our new admin team with its AFL connections really start to apply the blowtorch to Geishen because this should not be good enough.

Good post Quigs, but unfortunately Geishen will no doubt justify each and every decision and say it was the correct call.:mad:

What is hard to come to terms with is that we got knocked down and the umps just came in and laid the boots in whilst we were down and then took a massive dump on us with two terrible decisions.

We just couldn't take a trick all night with injuries etc and just when we thought we were going to witness one of the club's famous victory's, the umps saw that we wouldn't...pricks.:thumbsdown:

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/afl/afl-news/blood-and-guts-at-the-gabba-20110327-1cbib.html

Even Fremantle coach Mark Harvey knew his side had been given a reprieve from the Governor just before the hangman pulled the lever. Without prompting after the match, his first words were praise for the young Lions.
"I’d just like to say I thought the Brisbane Lions were fantastic tonight, the way they fought out this game under duress and injury. The reality is sometimes you win a game when you shouldn’t," Harvey said.
At least Mark Harvey knows lady luck when he sees it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back