Remove this Banner Ad

Jim Prideaux

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
ColoradoAvalancheLiverpoolFCGrenobl
I’ll start this thread by saying, explanation video aside, I was very happy the League cracked down on players playing for head high free kicks, it was a blight that had gone on far too long.

With that in mind, the next biggest umpiring related blight in that regard is KPF shoving the defender in the back, with the most obvious exponent (but certainly not the only) being Tom Hawkins.

It is absurd that key forwards are able to get away with it as often as the do. The rule is there, enforce it.

A note on Hawkins - he does it a lot, but defenders almost always play in front of him due to his size and strength, and as such it’s not really a surprise that he does it as often as he does.

For context, these are the 2022 rules that might be relevant here. They're not quite as specific as previous versions such as the "hands in the back" interpretation of quite a few years ago.
Leaves a fair bit to interpretation, especially the word "unduly" in 18.5

1658736942304.png

For context, these are the 2022 rules that might be relevant here. They're not quite as specific as previous versions such as the "hands in the back" interpretation of quite a few years ago.
Leaves a fair bit to interpretation, especially the word "unduly" in 18.5

View attachment 1456342
Yup, should’ve mentioned that. I think it’s left deliberately vague to allow umpire interpretation. If it’s in the middle it’s a free every time, in the forward line, play on.

Also, need to reiterate that Hawkins is certainly not the only player who does it, just the biggest (in name and stature).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back