Society & Culture The Homeless Epidemic

Remove this Banner Ad

This makes sense. So why aren't we, as a country, behind it?

It really is sickening, I hate to walk past these people that need help in the most dire ways and let others blame it on drug abuse etc and think they are heroes for giving a cup of coffee or a McDonalds burger.

These people are individuals with issues, they are someone's child, sibling, parent, relation.

Yes, you may have some that will blow it up their noses or otherwise but does that exclude the truly needy who only want that 1 chance to turn their life around?

Because Government has done a very effective job at demonising welfare recipients so that now instead of seeing a homeless person and thinking they need our help, society sees them as lazy and someone who needs to work harder.

Going about it the way in my post also makes it clear there’s a direct cost to the government of homelessness, whereas right now it’s hidden away in various areas so the public doesn’t think about how much is being spent on it.

From the trials they’ve done it was a significant reduction in cost, but the cost that was spent became ‘visible’.

Because Government has done a very effective job at demonising welfare recipients so that now instead of seeing a homeless person and thinking they need our help, society sees them as lazy and someone who needs to work harder.

Going about it the way in my post also makes it clear there’s a direct cost to the government of homelessness, whereas right now it’s hidden away in various areas so the public doesn’t think about how much is being spent on it.

From the trials they’ve done it was a significant reduction in cost, but the cost that was spent became ‘visible’.

I haven't met anyone that doesn't want to improve welfare and the homeless

There must be a different culture over east, if that's what your seeing

I haven't met anyone that doesn't want to improve welfare and the homeless

There must be a different culture over east, if that's what your seeing

If you ask people theoretically do they want to improve it they say yes. In reality they don’t vote that way, and time and again we see the government (especially the LNP) punch down at welfare recipients and homeless because they know it’s a vote winner.

Crack down on dole bludger stuff. It would be cheaper for the government to remove all the red tape and reallocate the staff elsewhere, and cop that whilst the ATO will pick up most of it, a handful of bad actors will rort the system (and likely already do so). Instead they’ve convinced (some) people everyone on the dole is a bludger ripping off the system and we need all those hoops to jump through so they don’t rort the system for their weekly below the poverty line allowance.

If you ask people theoretically do they want to improve it they say yes. In reality they don’t vote that way, and time and again we see the government (especially the LNP) punch down at welfare recipients and homeless because they know it’s a vote winner.

Crack down on dole bludger stuff. It would be cheaper for the government to remove all the red tape and reallocate the staff elsewhere, and cop that whilst the ATO will pick up most of it, a handful of bad actors will rort the system (and likely already do so). Instead they’ve convinced (some) people everyone on the dole is a bludger ripping off the system and we need all those hoops to jump through so they don’t rort the system for their weekly below the poverty line allowance.

It must be different over east as those that I meet regardless of lib or lab believe in social welfare and more importantly opportunity

I guess the west has more opportunity than people, so their isn't the dog eat dog mentality you refer to

It must be different over east as those that I meet regardless of lib or lab believe in social welfare and more importantly opportunity

I guess the west has more opportunity than people, so their isn't the dog eat dog mentality you refer to
I don't know if its an east-west thing, but its certain a prevalence that people bring it upon themselves and its not "our" responsibility to do anything about it. Certainly if anything is to be done, it should be paid for by others. But really, "nothing should be done, they're all addicts anyway" is a common enough attitude even if people won't say it in those terms.

I don't know if its an east-west thing, but its certain a prevalence that people bring it upon themselves and its not "our" responsibility to do anything about it. Certainly if anything is to be done, it should be paid for by others. But really, "nothing should be done, they're all addicts anyway" is a common enough attitude even if people won't say it in those terms.

sad to hear

if not for humanity, dignity and common decency..........we should act to stop them committing crimes to survive. Who cares why we are motivated to help the unfortunate, we surely must realise it is in our own interests to do so.

I'd hope most are motivated by the decency factor though.

We should also remember it could have been us in the same situation if not for family support, mental health or any other reason why people find themselves in a tough place.

One story I think of when I think of "down on ones luck", is Mark Creasy

Mark was a prospector who had zero luck, eating rotten potatoes and people chipping in to replace tyres on his 4WD, as he was stuck in the bush with no money.

We all need a little luck and help along the way

12. Mark Creasy​

$772 million | Yandal Investments​

2018: $826 million​

A few thousand sharemarket traders await the next lot of news that will send Mark Creasy’s fortune beyond $1 billion.

There's someone near my work who lives in their car and it's parked on council land. They have a sign up in their car that says "homelessness is not a crime".

About 50 metres away is a sign that reads "parking on crown land is prohibited".

There's someone near my work who lives in their car and it's parked on council land. They have a sign up in their car that says "homelessness is not a crime".

About 50 metres away is a sign that reads "parking on crown land is prohibited".
Should have said you called the cops on them ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back