The Last Time...you fully expected to beat Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Haha. A mate of mine who is a diehard Tiger supporter bet me prior to that game that Richmond would finish higher than Geelong in 2007, so confident was he about the Tigers 'superiority' over Geelong.

The mate never paid up and later denied the bet existed
There just isn't any logic to that prediction. They did have an earnest loss to the defending premier/ladder leader Eagles the week before from memory, and the Cats obviously had their mythic ultimatum the week before, but you'd have to be nuts then to think the Tigers were going to finish higher. In 2006 the Cats were like an underperforming midtable side and Tigers an overperforming midtable side.

Interesting that yet another thread about a team other than Richmond has been turned into a 'but what about Richmond!' thread by Richmond supporters
Agreed. Given Richmond were the last side to cancel a Cats season (and last to win a flag), you'd think they'd be a bit more gracious and flattering in a thread like this.

I mean, fair enough, go in confident to that PF given the trends, but to dismiss the opponent's chances in a prelim is nonsense. As an Eagle against the Demons the year before I was close to vomiting before the game, even if I felt we were favourites.

The only time I might have written off a minor premier in a prelim was Freo in 2015, and they were sprouting grey hair and limp at home in WA against a side that was smashed in the QF at the same ground! The Cats form wasn't quite as bad as what Freo were dishing up then.

Agreed. Given Richmond were the last side to cancel a Cats season (and last to win a flag), you'd think they'd be a bit more gracious and flattering in a thread like this.

I mean, fair enough, go in confident to that PF given the trends, but to dismiss the opponent's chances in a prelim is nonsense. As an Eagle against the Demons the year before I was close to vomiting before the game, even if I felt we were favourites.

The only time I might have written off a minor premier in a prelim was Freo in 2015, and they were sprouting grey hair and limp at home in WA against a side that was smashed in the QF at the same ground! The Cats form wasn't quite as bad as what Freo were dishing up then.
It's pretty funny, I was at the PF last year and there wasn't a whole lot of confidence in any of the Richmond fans sitting near me at half time. It actually wasn't until around the time Lynch kicked his 5th that the confidence started to grow. Maybe we could do a thread called "When was the last time you were confident your team was going to beat Geelong with 10 minutes to go in a game?" so they can definitely answer the question without false bravado :)

It's pretty funny, I was at the PF last year and there wasn't a whole lot of confidence in any of the Richmond fans sitting near me at half time. It actually wasn't until around the time Lynch kicked his 5th that the confidence started to grow. Maybe we could do a thread called "When was the last time you were confident your team was going to beat Geelong with 10 minutes to go in a game?" so they can definitely answer the question without false bravado :)

There is a difference to being confident of winning pre-game and going to the game confident then realising oh we might be in strife here.

Saying oh no one was confident at half time is meaningless.

Around 2001. Funny enough we actually lost to them that year but remember heading to Cat park confident of a win. But even around then i wasn't so confident especially being a Richmond fan who has experienced a hell of a lot more floggings by the cats than most sides.

Last edited:
Cherry picking an era when your side has been premiership material and ours hasn’t, and ignoring the 30 years prior where regardless of whether we were contenders or not and routinely used your players as witches hats seems like a silly argument
No Richmond have not only dominated Geelong in finals this era, Richmond has dominated Geelong in finals throughout their entire history

No Richmond have not only dominated Geelong in finals this era, Richmond has dominated Geelong in finals throughout their entire history

that’s because you’ve dominated THIS ERA. It’s not because you scrape into 8th, we fly along undefeated in first, and suddenly Chris Scott shows the players a perpetual loop of games played before they were thought of, and then they each tell their teammates ‘oh well better to out and play s**t against a mediocre opponent because it’s a final against Richmond and 40 years ago some players we’ve never met lost to them.’

that’s because you’ve dominated THIS ERA. It’s not because you scrape into 8th, we fly along undefeated in first, and suddenly Chris Scott shows the players a perpetual loop of games played before they were thought of, and then they each tell their teammates ‘oh well better to out and play sh*t against a mediocre opponent because it’s a final against Richmond and 40 years ago some players we’ve never met lost to them.’
With Chris Scott as coach yes you would probably lose to Richmond

that’s because you’ve dominated THIS ERA. It’s not because you scrape into 8th, we fly along undefeated in first, and suddenly Chris Scott shows the players a perpetual loop of games played before they were thought of, and then they each tell their teammates ‘oh well better to out and play sh*t against a mediocre opponent because it’s a final against Richmond and 40 years ago some players we’ve never met lost to them.’

Stop arguing with a bloke who is obviously trolling you, the fact that only 33 of his 3300 posts are on the Richmond board should tell you enough

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't ever remember fully expecting to beat Geelong. 2018 is the furthest they have finished below us in the time I followed Richmond (since 2002) and our 2 wins that year weren't by much. They'v either been better or comparable in all the other years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back