The Liberal Party - How long? - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

she seems to be trying to play it as more "I didn't invite the Nazis and they scared my people" (and they happen to agree with her people)
When the Nazis turn up to support your cause, invited or not it should be cause for self reflection not blame shifting.

Just for information:

• the move is to expel her from the parliamentary party. The parliamentary party has its own constitution and effectively governs itself. The organisation has a separate process.
  • it is only a proposed motion at the moment. If the motion is unsuccessful, it would be a huge blow to Pesutto's authority as leader, possibly a mortal one, and IMO, a huge blow to the ongoing viability electorally of the Victorian Liberal Party.

I don't see how he could continue if this fails. Whatever the party's processes, the leader can't have any legitimacy if their caucus is still carrying repugnant MPs they'd moved to expel.

He barely won the leadership as it is, so he only needs to have incensed one of his backers with this move and he's cactus.

I don't see how he could continue if this fails. Whatever the party's processes, the leader can't have any legitimacy if their caucus is still carrying repugnant MPs they'd moved to expel.

He barely won the leadership as it is, so he only needs to have incensed one of his backers with this move and he's cactus.
I don't think there could be people who voted Pessutto last time that will switch to support Deeming becuase of her new Nazi links. All the bigots in the parliamentary party are already lined up against him.

I think there would have been people who voted against Pesutto previously but didn't realise how close their bigotry was to hate-speech until the Nazis showed up and went "yeah, we're on board with all of this" who will now agree that the bigots are going to have to go if they want to get elected to Government.

I think eventually the party has to split. There are zealots in the parliamentary party (like Deeming) who would rather be idiots in opposition than tone it down and try to win Government. And their idiotry will ensure the party can't be elected.

better late than never i suppose. must say i thought pessutto would offer a real alternative. turns out to be just a shoutier version of guy.

this.

I don't think there could be people who voted Pessutto last time that will switch to support Deeming becuase of her new Nazi links. All the bigots in the parliamentary party are already lined up against him.

I think there would have been people who voted against Pesutto previously but didn't realise how close their bigotry was to hate-speech until the Nazis showed up and went "yeah, we're on board with all of this" who will now agree that the bigots are going to have to go if they want to get elected to Government.

I think eventually the party has to split. There are zealots in the parliamentary party (like Deeming) who would rather be idiots in opposition than tone it down and try to win Government. And their idiotry will ensure the party can't be elected.

pessutto was caught up in the anti-liberal sweep when he went under. remember the bloke who owns 17 properties and is the libs deputy leader only scraped in at that election.

The most interesting parts of the Pesutto response were these

Pesutto described Deeming’s position as “untenable” following her “involvement in … promoting and participating in a rally with speakers and other organisers who themselves have been publicly associated with far rightwing extremist groups including neo-Nazi activists”.

Pesutto said it took his team about 20 minutes to investigate the organisers’ links to extremist groups, so he “can’t be satisfied” Deeming didn’t know about their associations.

“Thirdly, having seen the ugly scenes and having had an opportunity to disown and dissociate from those very people, Ms Deeming chose to celebrate, as evidenced on social media,” he said.

So he is, in so many words, destroying the alibi of Deeming et al that the nazis are a totally separate and unwanted distraction from their core point. He is in as many words saying the initial rally at its core was organised and promoted by extremists, that this was obvious on slight checking, and indeed the organisers celebrated their arrival as supportive.

He has basically negated all the defences we have heard from them.

Any Liberal member who votes for Deeming to stay is therefore, by the admission of their own party leader, supporting someone who knowingly or wrecklessly associated with neo nazi and other extremists.

I must admit it is something I am having difficulty grasping. The way a party has allowed itself to be colonized and pulled away from it's roots to extremes is not common in our heritage.

The closest I have seen in Australian Political history in my lifetime was the NDP takeover by Trots that saw it go from a legitimate third/fourth option with up to 9% of the vote in some states to chaos with its own founders walking out inside a year.

I tend to think that if you're getting ready to attend a rally, and you decide you need a mask to conceal your identity - you need to take a bloody long hard look at yourself. I've been to dozens of rallies, and I've never once worn a mask (not even during COVID, cos I was smart enough to stop going to rallies) - cos I'm not ashamed of my beliefs.

I'm stunned that there's any controversy around Deeming being expelled from the parliamentary party. Is this the hill their back bench wants to die on? Cos if you decide to tear each other apart based on defence of anti-trans, pro-nazi views? Well, the question of "The Liberal Party - how long?" is already answered. It was done last Friday.

She doesn't even understand how incongruent this is were here own supposed liberal values.

Is this the hill their back bench wants to die on?
So many are revving up to jump on the culture war* bandwagon. They support this person's views. They want to become famous amongst the RWNJs too.

(* anti-queer)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It won't come as a surprise to anyone, Neil Mitchell's editorial this morning came out in defence of Deeming and the person who is causing all this division and anger is ....

Dan Andrews
Did he mention level crossings?

So Deeming is getting kicked out of her right wing party for expressing right wing views?
Am I missing something?

She can’t be blamed for Nazis turning up with out her knowledge… that’s ridiculous…

So what was she actually saying about women's rights? Or is that not the issue?

So Deeming is getting kicked out of her right wing party for expressing right wing views?
Am I missing something?

She can’t be blamed for Nazis turning up with out her knowledge… that’s ridiculous…

So what was she actually saying about women's rights? Or is that not the issue?

As I understand it at the moment, the issue is the guest speakers at the women's rally, specifically Kellie-Jay Keen.

What’s wrong with Kelly-Jay Keen expressing her views?

Rather than paraphrase, I'll let Mr Pesutto make the case for himself:

I do not think it is in dispute that Mrs Deeming brought Kelly-Jay Keen through the parliament to get to the rally.

The charge is that by organising the rally and organising Keen to speak at it, Mrs Deeming was likely to bring discredit onto the parliamentary party.

Rather than paraphrase, I'll let Mr Pesutto make the case for himself:

I do not think it is in dispute that Mrs Deeming brought Kelly-Jay Keen through the parliament to get to the rally.

The charge is that by organising the rally and organising Keen to speak at it, Mrs Deeming was likely to bring discredit onto the parliamentary party.

Ok go it.

Did he mention level crossings?
Not today. Rachel Baxendale hasn't tweeted in a couple of weeks, so has fallen of his current topics
Is he becoming more man yells at cloud as he gets old, or was he always like this?
I'm only a recent convert to the perverted hilarity of 3AW, But I suspect it is a requirement to be a conservative commentator to be able to yell at clouds

Given what Andrews as said yesterday - as limp-wristed as it was - I wonder whether it serves as an adequate defence to punch nazis on sight...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back