The Liberal Party - How long? - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Firstly, you need to define what "pay their share" means. They are currently paying the tax they are levied according to the law.
Yes but the PWC scandal shows they have used unfair means to reduce their taxes.

Do you think "legal" always equals "fair"?

Everyone wants lower taxes, but it's the current Federal Government who chose not to continue the lower and middle income tax offset. I'm not surprised the BCA is saying they want lower taxes on businesses, nothing has come of it (or is likely to), and your post is misleading at best.
not 'everyone' wants lower taxes. many would be content to pay higher taxes subject to getting improved health care, social welfare, aged care et al services. the continued call for lower taxes particularly from businesses and individuals who are rolling in wealth is nauseating.,

Yes but the PWC scandal shows they have used unfair means to reduce their taxes.

Do you think "legal" always equals "fair"?

No, I don't. Petition Albo to change the laws. I've long advocated for tax reform - Chalmers has spent the last few days ruling reforms out.

not 'everyone' wants lower taxes. many would be content to pay higher taxes subject to getting improved health care, social welfare, aged care et al services. the continued call for lower taxes particularly from businesses and individuals who are rolling in wealth is nauseating.,

So higher taxes in return for stuff. Allow me to clarify - people want more money in their pockets. It's human nature. It is the job of government to say no to people like those "rolling in wealth". It's a skill governments have seem to have lost.

Whenever one of these clever tweets like "xxx Pty Ltd had $1.4b in revenue this year and paid $0.36c in tax" comes out, it always leaves out two important details:

1. Revenue and taxable income are different things
2. HOW they paid that little in tax, nearly always through legal means

Most tax deductions are for behaviours that at one stage or another, governments have felt fit to encourage through tax law. So lets hear what deductions are being used, and why they shouldn't be allowed, before we rage about "fair" taxation.

people want more money in their pockets. It's human nature. It is the job of government to say no to people like those "rolling in wealth". It's a skill governments have seem to have lost.
So it's some sort of biological determinism at play?

Qookerism is the modern face of the australian conservative movement

Trump said he saw it and that his favourite part was the beginning and the middle and especially the result.

Human nature means things that humans naturally do.
Money isn't a naturally occurring substance.

Other people have talked about being happy to pay taxes for universal support systems.

Your language was deliberately inflammatory and you know that.

I have no further desire to engage with your obvious baiting.
This seems like an overreaction.

What do you think biological determinism is associated with? I simply meant that it was a weak and unsupportable way to look at the system of taxation.

Money isn't a naturally occurring substance.

Other people have talked about being happy to pay taxes for universal support systems.

This seems like an overreaction.

What do you think biological determinism is associated with? I simply meant that it was a weak and unsupportable way to look at the system of taxation.

Value is a thing people intrinsically understand. I have no idea what biological determinism is associated with, and have no desire to because it is an inflammatory pejorative.

And I am not at all talking about people being happy or not happy to pay taxes for universal support systems. All I said is people want to keep more of the money they have earned. That's it - no caveats, no strings attached.

And that's my last reply on this topic.

Trump said he saw it and that his favourite part was the beginning and the middle and especially the result.
who knows if true, but someone posted in that thread one of the films funders has been arrested for child kidnapping

projection ...... always with the f****** projection with these nutters

if trump has shown us anything - its that the idiom 'hiding in plain sight' seems to work in this post-truth world

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, I don't. Petition Albo to change the laws. I've long advocated for tax reform - Chalmers has spent the last few days ruling reforms out.

So higher taxes in return for stuff. Allow me to clarify - people want more money in their pockets. It's human nature. It is the job of government to say no to people like those "rolling in wealth". It's a skill governments have seem to have lost.

Whenever one of these clever tweets like "xxx Pty Ltd had $1.4b in revenue this year and paid $0.36c in tax" comes out, it always leaves out two important details:

1. Revenue and taxable income are different things
2. HOW they paid that little in tax, nearly always through legal means

Most tax deductions are for behaviours that at one stage or another, governments have felt fit to encourage through tax law. So lets hear what deductions are being used, and why they shouldn't be allowed, before we rage about "fair" taxation.
the point was not higher taxes for "stuff all". it was for better health care, aged care, social welfare, eduction et al.

my doctor's son lives in sweden where these matters are prioritised. he's not a lefty, yet speaks highly of the fairness and equity of the system.

despite the rightist nonsense, we aren't a heavily taxed country by world standards. and i find it intriguing how many reactionaries pay little or no tax yet scream like 30 y. o diffs when an ambulance doesn't arrive in time, or they have to wait in emergency in a public hospital. or the standard of aged cars etc.

what's the saying, back any horse in a race named self interest cos you know it'll be going flat out.

the point was not higher taxes for "stuff all". it was for better health care, aged care, social welfare, eduction et al.

my doctor's son lives in sweden where these matters are prioritised. he's not a lefty, yet speaks highly of the fairness and equity of the system.

despite the rightist nonsense, we aren't a heavily taxed country by world standards. and i find it intriguing how many reactionaries pay little or no tax yet scream like 30 y. o diffs when an ambulance doesn't arrive in time, or they have to wait in emergency in a public hospital. or the standard of aged cars etc.

what's the saying, back any horse in a race named self interest cos you know it'll be going flat out.

None of what you have said contradicts in any way what I said. All I said was people want to keep more of their own money. It doesn't mean at all costs, it doesn't necessarily mean it's priority 1, 2 & 3 for everyone. Very few people would knock back a tax cut if everything else the government did improved.

And I've been saying for a while the way to increase revenue for governments to fund essential services is to firstly simplify our tax laws.

But I don't care for the emotional language used in much of this debate.

Senator Henderson here calling our schools a national embarrassment because of NAPLAN results, says Albanese should do something. I wonder what the Libs did about it, since they've been responsible for practically all of the education these kids have undertaken (as far as federal involvement goes).

Fund non-government provision of essential services then. Same result. Do with your own money that which you wish to do.
No, because although right wingers keep running it down, government is a brilliant system. I want my government to provide the things that government does so well, and I'm happy for them to take a bit of my money to do it.

You might like to read Anu Partanen's "The Nordic Theory of Everything", where a Finnish journalist who has lived in the US for many years shows Americans how quaint and old-fashioned their system is, and how much more time Finns have to devote to the stuff that really matters in their lives, because all the essentials are taken care of by their taxes.

None of what you have said contradicts in any way what I said. All I said was people want to keep more of their own money. It doesn't mean at all costs, it doesn't necessarily mean it's priority 1, 2 & 3 for everyone. Very few people would knock back a tax cut if everything else the government did improved.

And I've been saying for a while the way to increase revenue for governments to fund essential services is to firstly simplify our tax laws.

But I don't care for the emotional language used in much of this debate.
your original post was everyone wants lower taxes. my point is, and has been, that's just plain wrong. many would be content to pay higher taxes for better social and other services.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back