Resource The list your Ken Hinkley Era Stats Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Has anyone mentioned that because of the last few Hinkley years, our AFL record now has the ladder position we've most filled in our AFL journey as..... 1st.

25 seasons. 10% of the time we are in 1st place.

And then come finals.
For 1 premiership.

Hahahaha, that's amazing!

You know, I actually find myself being quite grateful these days for that 1 premiership. Imagine if things had gone awry as they easily could have done that night against St Kilda. We'd be sat here with a billion top 2 finishes and 0 flags.

Hahahaha, that's amazing!

You know, I actually find myself being quite grateful these days for that 1 premiership. Imagine if things had gone awry as they easily could have done that night against St Kilda. We'd be sat here with a billion top 2 finishes and 0 flags.
I have said several times in the last few weeks to people, as I mourned the fact I wouldn't be travelling to Perth, that I just wish I savoured that moment far more.

Growing up I and all of us were a bit spoilt as a Port fans. We got used to grand finals, and i know i didn't appreciate them as I should have at the time.

I was there as we won 88, 89, 90, 92, 94, 95, 96, lost 97, won 98, 99, then 2004, then lost 2007.

So my first 22 years saw Port win 10 premierships.

My last 17 have seen nothing other than the worst loss in GF history!

I miss that joy. When we win our next GF I'm probably going on a massive bender, buying every souvenir available and going to all the after match events.

What's hinkleys record against top 4 ??

I can’t confirm the accuracy, but it looks about right.

Edit: not sure if that’s appearing. It’s the most recent post by the ‘PAFC 1870’ Facebook page.

Edit: not sure if that’s appearing. It’s the most recent post by the ‘PAFC 1870’ Facebook page.

Most of those stats are from what I've been posting here, so I can vouch for their accuracy

How long do we keep going with this?

I give you another take on the Ken Hinkley era and whether he's lost the players. I'm sure you're all aware, but just for the record it's not just a recent trend, and it's not just a slow starting trend either. But it's getting worse

2013-2021 inclusive, we're a game and 15% better 2nd qtr to 1st, mostly regress in the 3rd, and then a game-and-a-half and 10% better 3rd qtr to 4th.

It's almost like there's something that happens in the changerooms that doesn't happen at the qtr time and 3qtr time breaks.

1631842761122.png

And if you look at the last 3 years..... oh dear.
We're almost 4 games and 45% better team 1st qtr to 2nd, halfway regress in the 3rd, and then hold the line.

1631843073221.png

I give you another take on the Ken Hinkley era and whether he's lost the players. I'm sure you're all aware, but just for the record it's not just a recent trend, and it's not just a slow starting trend either. But it's getting worse

2013-2021 inclusive, we're a game and 15% better 2nd qtr to 1st, mostly regress in the 3rd, and then a game-and-a-half and 10% better 3rd qtr to 4th.

It's almost like there's something that happens in the changerooms that doesn't happen at the qtr time and 3qtr time breaks.

View attachment 1237976

We're almost 4 games and 45% better team 1st qtr to 2nd, halfway regress in the 3rd, and then hold the line.

View attachment 1237982
When Hinkley has to much time to talk to the players we are s**t... But when he has only a little bit of time we are good 🤔
#sackhinkley

I guess the litmus test would come if it were possible to line Ken Hinkley up next to Fos Williams, and ask each if 2021 has been a successful year. I dare say that one would say yes, and the other no.

View attachment 1237976

View attachment 1237982
I think related to this is a thing that struck me when I was watching those "Sound the alarm" videos on AFL.com.au where you hear bits of the coaches talk. I think it was halftime of the prelim and Hardwick's message was really simple, and it was about what the players needed to do "go again... step in mentality, step in, step through the ball... this yellow jumper is a *in tsunami" it was about going in hard then going again, and trusting your teammates to do the same thing. Ken's message was "we kick a couple of goals, and a couple will feel like a lot, then we can play the last quarter our way" which is about outcomes, not about what the players do to score those goals. It's a front runner mentality because it means that if things don't go your way and you don't score those couple of goals then there's no message from the coach. Hardwick was all about the process and Ken was all about the outcome.

It’s mostly copy-paste from a post of mine (in this thread, p.4, # 82).

PAFC 1870 added more to it at the bottom. There are things from RussellEbertHandball as well.

Port's 2021 Record (v. Ladder)

I. v. Top-4
[W-L-D (W%)]
2021, 1-3 (25.0)

II. v. 5th-8th [W-L-D (W%)]
2021, 4-2 (62.7)

III. v. Top-8 [W-L-D (W%)]
2021, 5-5 (50.0)

IV. v. Not Top-4 [W-L-D (W%)]
2021, 17-3 (85.0)

V. v. Bottom-10 [W-L-D (W%)]
2021, 13-1 (92.9)

Last edited:
It’s mostly copy-paste from a post of mine (in this thread, p.4, # 82).

PAFC 1870 added more to it at the bottom. There are things from RussellEbertHandball as well.

Port's 2021 Record (v. Ladder)

I. v. Top-4
[W-L-D (W%)]
2021, 1-3 (25.0)

II. v. 5th-8th [W-L-D (W%)]
2021, 4-2 (62.7)

III. v. Top-8 [W-L-D (W%)]
2021, 5-5 (50.0)

IV. v. Not Top-4 [W-L-D (W%)]
2021, 17-3 (85.0)

V. v. Bottom-10 [W-L-D (W%)]
2021, 13-1 (92.9)
Can you do the same for Melbourne for comparison?

edit: and is this position at the time of playing them or position at the end of the H-A season?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can you do the same for Melbourne for comparison?
Melbourne
Top-4: 6-0 (Port, 1-3)
GEE, 3-0; BRI, 2-0; POR, 1-0.
5th-8th: 4-2 (Port, 4-2)
GWS, 1-1; FOO, 1-1; SYD, 1-0; ESS, 1-0.
Top-8: 10-2 (Port, 5-5)
Not Top-4: 12-4-1 (Port, 17-3)
Bottom-10: 8-2-1 (Port, 13-1)

edit: and is this position at the time of playing them or position at the end of the H-A season?
End of Minor Round.

Last edited:
Brad Scott
9 seasons
4 finals series (44%)
4 finals wins/4 finals losses (50%)
2 consecutive finals wins
2 prelim losses
=
Sacked.

Ken Hinkley
9 seasons
5 finals series (56%)
5 finals wins/5 finals losses (50%)
1 consecutive finals win
3 prelim losses
=
All good mate.

Brad Scott
9 seasons
4 finals series (44%)
2 prelim losses
=
Sacked.

Ken Hinkley
9 seasons
5 finals series (56%)
1 consecutive finals win
3 prelim losses
=
All good mate.
I am all for getting old mate sacked. But did moving on Scott fix anything for NM?

I am all for getting old mate sacked. But did moving on Scott fix anything for NM?

No, but that’s unrelated to their comparative stats.

No, but that’s unrelated to their comparative stats.
How's is it unrelated? I assume that you are implying that sacking Scott was the right move by NM, while keeping Hinkley is the wrong move for Port, based on similar performance across 9 seasons.

Brad Scott
9 seasons
4 finals series (44%)
2 prelim losses
=
Sacked.

Ken Hinkley
9 seasons
5 finals series (56%)
1 consecutive finals win
3 prelim losses
=
All good mate.
We've got a long way to go to be a club like North Melbourne.

How's is it unrelated? I assume that you are implying that sacking Scott was the right move by NM, while keeping Hinkley is the wrong move for Port, based on similar performance across 9 seasons.

Moving on from Scott was the right move. Subsequently installing Rhys Shaw wasn't.
Moving on from Hinkley should be our next move, unfortunately we're hemmed in by his contract and what that would cost us.

Regardless, we've got a coach who has performed marginally better in finals than Brad Scott did, with a list that is much better than North Melbourne's.

It may have been the right move regardless of its outcome.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back