The Luke Jackson trade.

Remove this Banner Ad

He’s the third tall fwd
Not many teams have 3 good key defenders
He’s kicking two a week from the midfield
Could ave 3 a week as a full time fwd

He's currently averaging 2 goals a week as the solo ruck floating forward. His best position. Kicked 19 goals in the 15 games Darcy played last year. A long way off 3 goals a game.

Rory Lobb 24 goals in 20 games last year. 36 in 24 playing the same role at Freo. Food for thought.

The big fella can consistently one-grab mark now. Can't really remember him doing that at Melbourne. He's always been a ground level threat around the sticks but is 1000% more dangerous clunking on the lead or taking hangers.
Reminds me of prime Goodes; you can play Jackson mid, ruck or forward... either way you're going to get an elite return

He's quite untypical in that he's a big bloke with various wrinkles, more than vast majority of big blokes. So it's understandable that clubs need time to fit this unique player into their presuppositions, or to adapt their presuppositions about what a ruckman can do.

This is why initially there was so much doubt about Jackson's value, of course a round peg doesn't fit a square hole, so get rid of the peg was often the kneejerk reaction.

I personally like his transformer quality, switching from the ruck to the running, linking, tackling, chasing midfield role in a blink. It can cause chaos for opposition set ups, flummoxing them. The 2021 GF is the easy reference for this, and there have been plenty of examples since. A goal a game up forward is a further layer of cream on the cake.

I enjoy reading posts from nuffies who probably watch us twice a year telling freo fans how it is.
A non biased perspective can be useful

I genuinely think he's the leagues MVP when he's sole ruck, he can change a game better than anyone, 22 years old.

He can with the brownlow without Darcy in the team, issue is could he ruck alone for a full season, he does a power of work, does it catch up and tire him out?

He broke the game open yesterday in the third but the difference between he and Xerri was essentially his work deep forward. I feel like his game is being slightly overstated. It was massive on paper and on impact but his opponent also had a huge game on paper.

Felt a bit like Goldy vs Gawn all those years ago in terms of impact from both ruckman.

He broke the game open yesterday in the third but the difference between he and Xerri was essentially his work deep forward. I feel like his game is being slightly overstated. It was massive on paper and on impact but his opponent also had a huge game on paper.

Felt a bit like Goldy vs Gawn all those years ago in terms of impact from both ruckman.
Yep, was really impressed with Xerri, particularly in the first half.

An athletic specimen with not an iota of forward craft, a decent but undersized ruck and a poor overhead mark with hands like cement. Has there ever been a worse list management decision in recent times? Freo lose Lobb, Acres and Logue who while no world beaters all solid citizens in a finals team with good future prospects. All for a bloke that played 5 minutes of good football in a grand final with two of the best midfielders of this generation probably making him look a bit better than he was.

The draft picks they gave up for him... Last year's pick 13 and this year's first and second which could end up being a top 7-8 and sub 30 pick this year if Freo continue to stink it up. On top of that has a contract rivalling Brodie Grundy despite being a quarter of the player Grundy once was.

I simply cannot remember a worse trade in recent times... Bowes you could argue that Gold Coast simply needed to do it and had a surplus of picks regardless of how ridiculous it seemed. Maybe Gibbs? That may have turned out, but Adelaide went and blew up their list by going on their looneyville camp which meant the Gibbs acquisition was basically useless and hamstrung their future because of it.

For a club that hasn't been able to snatch a premiership since their inception could this set them back another decade?

Discuss.
It’s hard not to cringe.

Last edited:
I don’t often agree with Corn, but I do regarding the Darcy and Jackson situation.

That contract is a terrible one for a few reasons, but Darcy was coming OOC with lots of interest and plenty of currency.

Jackson plays his best footy in the ruck and Darcy can’t play anywhere else.

You put a few first round picks and redeploy Darcy’s salary out on the field for Freo and they are probably a legit flag contender this year and into the future.

I have no doubt Darcy eventually gets traded, but it will be for unders compared to what they could have got, particularly if he keeps missing games each season.

Not sure how anyone can conclude that Jackson's best position is ruck. He's 22 years old and his trajectory since debuting has been absolutely phenomenal for a 2m player. He could well end up the best player in the game by playing all across the ground. Adam Goodes is a great comparison, credit to a post above. Goodes won a Brownlow in the ruck and he was only scratching the surface of the player he would end up becoming.

I'll give Freo the benefit of the doubt with Darcy, although I have always maintained rucks aren't really worth the biggest of dollars. Having a quality ruck like Darcy will not unfavourably affect the level of player Jackson can become. If anything, it'll get the very best out of him. Scarily good player.

Xerri was significantly better in the ruck contest and then for about the first 2 seconds after that – he’s a very clever ruckman with excellent positioning, awareness and skills in the ruck contest (never seen anyone always make the right call on when to grab and handball in the ruck vs. when to tap – phenomenal awareness). From 2+ seconds after the ruck contest, Jackson was far better. Both quality young players who can learn a lot from each other. Once our midfield became competitive Xerri’s dominance in close became less relevant to the game and Jackson’s dominance around the ground became more important. It’s why Darcy is crucial – his ruck work keeps our midfield competitive in the early parts of games, allowing us to grind down more dynamic midfields like yours.

Edit: I should be clear that Xerri was still very good in general play, it’s just that Jackson was so good that the difference was stark.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure how anyone can conclude that Jackson's best position is ruck. He's 22 years old and his trajectory since debuting has been absolutely phenomenal for a 2m player. He could well end up the best player in the game by playing all across the ground. Adam Goodes is a great comparison, credit to a post above. Goodes won a Brownlow in the ruck and he was only scratching the surface of the player he would end up becoming.

I'll give Freo the benefit of the doubt with Darcy, although I have always maintained rucks aren't really worth the biggest of dollars. Having a quality ruck like Darcy will not unfavourably affect the level of player Jackson can become. If anything, it'll get the very best out of him. Scarily good player.

Goodes was an undersized ruckman who played as essentially a 4th midfielder.

Jackson is genuine ruck size and plays like an elite mobile ruckman.

They aren’t similar and what Jackson is isn’t even unprecedented.

Jim Stynes and Dean Cox were similar.

Trying to turn Jackson into a Goodes or Pavlich style mid would be a massive mistake imo. He is around the ball anyway, with the current ruck rules he has a clearance advantage anyway.

Finally!
An oppo supporter that gets it!
👍

Jackos improved massively since the trade, overhead marking miles better and his ability to hit the scoreboard when pushing forward has improved too.

Still think losing Acres, Lobb and Logue when Darcy was already there is a dumb move from Bell given Darcy's already a top line (though fairly different to Jackson) ruck.

If Freo traded Darcy and invested the return in getting some more talent in the forward line and wings they'd be far better off imo.

Great to see Jacko doing well though, been Freo's best performer this year imo.

Jackson is testament to the quality of Melbourne's recruiters.

Nearly everyone thought we were reaching when we spent pick 3 on him. As they did for Pickett at 12 in the same draft.
Freo would have used pick one on him if we’d had it in that draft.
I reckon you guys and ourselves ranked him highest.
Most clubs right now would take him number one in hindsight.

Jackos improved massively since the trade, overhead marking miles better and his ability to hit the scoreboard when pushing forward has improved too.
He was traded when he'd just turned 21 (last season played as a 20 year old). Of course, a young ruck was going to improve. Did you think he'd regress ?

His talent was evident to anyone with eyes.

Last edited:
He has turned out better than i thought. Only problem for Freo is they should have Traded Darcy when they could.
I can't see having Darcy as the number one improves them. A bit like Gawn and Grundy.

What is the difference between Gawn / Grundy and Gawn / Jackson ?.

One was unsuccessful, one was successful.

Why can’t Darcy / Jackson, be a successful combination ?.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back