The Luke Jackson trade.

Remove this Banner Ad

It is crazy that Melbourne got us to hand over basically more than has been given for a single player in a long time and Freo are still going to come out ahead comfortably. Jackson is just a one-of-one.

I personally would never want to push someone like Darcy out but think the idea the squad would be better with just Jackson as ruck is at least an interesting talking point. Jackson needs to be on ball as much as possible IMO, he can win games single handidly there. I hope when Darcy is back we get a bit more of a look at midfield Jackson to see if it works as well as him just in the ruck

From my point of view I think the best use of him is going to be as a roaming CHF who chops out in the ruck.

Darcy rucks and rotates to the bench with Luke or Treacy relieving.

After the ball is bounced Luke has licence to get on his bike anywhere between the arcs, and pushing into the forward 50.

Like a Koutafides style utility

With Jefferson at Melbourne looking likely to be a bust this trade is going to go down in history as an insane win for Freo (Unless Windsor somehow becomes Chris Judd). I'll forever be sad we lost him but geez he is so good to watch. Be very interesting to see how he works with Darcy back in the side.

We were always going to lose that trade because of Jackson's freakish ability, but I think Windor will still end up being a very good player and definitely in a position we need. Just nowhere near as good as Jackson.

Who did we use the 2nd rounder on last year, was it McAdam?

Just like in the fullness of time Carlton easily won the Judd/Kennedy trade, I have a feeling in a few years Freo will be universally lauded for pulling down MFC's strides on this one.
One player helped their team win a premiership, the other ruined the culture and inflicted on us one of the biggest oxygen thieves in the country.
It's pretty clear who won that trade.

We got F/S Rights to Oscar Judd tho
Think About It GIF by Identity

Haha yeah ok, if he turns out to be a gun then it would be a win.

Yet to be seen though.

Win-win trade. The guy is a freak. Issue is not Jackson, but that Darcy is clearly surplus to requirements. Should have put him on the open market.

Because you are secretly the Freo list manager and know the details of the contract we offered Acres?
Acres did an interview when he arrived at the Blues where he discussed being lowballed by Freo and it was widely reported by the media and ITK posters on your own board and ours that Freo did him dirty at the negotiation table.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Win-win trade. The guy is a freak. Issue is not Jackson, but that Darcy is clearly surplus to requirements. Should have put him on the open market.
Darcy isn't an issue, they work better when they're together.

Gawn and Jackson worked well and that pair was crucial in Melbourne winning a flag, this isn't a Grundy and Gawn situation with two pure rucks, Jackson isn't a pure ruck.

Acres did an interview when he arrived at the Blues where he discussed being lowballed by Freo and it was widely reported by the media and ITK posters on your own board and ours that Freo did him dirty at the negotiation table.

If you look a bit deeper into the discussion on the Acres contracts at the time Walshy, you would see people (that know more than your I) suggesting that Freo and Carlton's offers were the same if Blake played all his games for the year (As Freo's contract was less in base but higher in match payments) than Carlton's (which was higher in base and not as determined by match payments). In other words, yes the base contract was lower at Freo - but what is not reported on the article you have quoted, is that he could make up the difference with match payments.

I don't really expect you to look more closely though. And the truth is neither of us really know, as neither of us are the Fremantle list manager. We are going off what has been reported in the media - so it's really just third hand speculation.

If you look a bit deeper into the discussion on the Acres contracts at the time Walshy, you would see people (that know more than your I) suggesting that Freo and Carlton's offers were the same if Blake played all his games for the year (As Freo's contract was less in base but higher in match payments) than Carlton's (which was higher in base and not as determined by match payments). In other words, yes the base contract was lower at Freo - but what is not reported on the article you have quoted, is that he could make up the difference with match payments.

I don't really expect you to look more closely though. And the truth is neither of us really know, as neither of us are the Fremantle list manager. We are going off what has been reported in the media - so it's really just third hand speculation.
I'm aware of that chatter. However, incentive based/performance based contracts are a bit insulting imo, especially when you're talking about a quality contributor... Which Acres was in 2022. If it was Harley Bennell or Nathan Freeman or something I could understand a performance based contract, it was a miracle for them to make it back from the rehab group most years. Acres put together a good season (hamstring set back aside) and was arguably your best performer in the finals that year too.

Clearly Acres felt the offer Freo put to him wasn't up to scratch. There were no rumours of him wanting to leave, no talk of disharmony or issues with other players... Then he just up and left. Pretty easy to infer from there.

Freo in a stronger position?

If someone wants Darcy they can come for him but he's contracted so Freo can ask for more.

Think Freo is in a good position here.

Gawn and Jackson worked well and that pair was crucial in Melbourne winning a flag, this isn't a Grundy and Gawn situation with two pure rucks, Jackson isn't a pure ruck.

Tbf Darcy is no Gawn though, there is no ruck in the comp like Max. Jackson allowed Gawn to play a kick behind play a lot, made it extremely difficult for oppo teams to move the ball forward.

Seems most watchers think Jackson is a better prospect as the main ruck. For some reason Freo supporters are convinced he is not.

Seems most watchers think Jackson is a better prospect as the main ruck. For some reason Freo supporters are convinced he is not.

Most of us watch the every week while other watchers (North and Lions fans excluded) probably haven't watched us yet this season so makes sense we would have differing views.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Darcy on the Dees list in a couple of years time. Gawn will need replacing soon enough and Dogga will be the best ruck in the comp in another season or two. Darcy won't be required.

Its noteworthy that Freo have 5 Rucks on their list (including Jackson). Liam Reidy isnt that far off AFL level.

If someone comes hard for Darcy - Freo can consider it. Could get them a top 10 draft pick.
Watched Reidy during the preseason, believe me he's still got a while to go before he's AFL ready

Looking forward to Darcy coming back and Jackson kicking a bag so this media drivel can subside.
Jackson is losing Hitouts (ave 26)
Darcy is not just a lump ruckmen
He won a bnf @ 23yr, last year he averaged 40 Hitouts.
Darcy feeding serong AB Fyfe young delivering to Amiss Treacy Jackson
Is exciting.
Jackson is averaging more goals than the best young fwd in the game Lewis.
Imagine Jackson being in the fwd line for 75% of the time.
Please don’t consume knowledge from king purple cones and the like.
Stubborn as a mule
Smart as donkey

Remove this Banner Ad

Back