The Luke Jackson trade.

Remove this Banner Ad

What is the difference between Gawn / Grundy and Gawn / Jackson ?.

One was unsuccessful, one was successful.

Why can’t Darcy / Jackson, be a successful combination ?.

Of course it can be successful.

The question is whether it’s the best use of Jackson’s talent (and by extension salary cap space and draft assets).

I have no idea how Freo fans can watch what he did in the back half of 2023 and the start of this season and want that role to change with less ruck time and more forward time. No ruck is working over their opponent and influencing games from the middle like he is.

I guess we will begin to get an idea in a few weeks time.

Of course it can be successful.

The question is whether it’s the best use of Jackson’s talent (and by extension salary cap space and draft assets).

I have no idea how Freo fans can watch what he did in the back half of 2023 and the start of this season and want that role to change with less ruck time and more forward time. No ruck is working over their opponent and influencing games from the middle like he is.

I guess we will begin to get an idea in a few weeks time.
I really like the idea of Darcy doing the ruck beast work with Jackson imposing himself in the last part of every quarter against a tiring ruck and midfield.

Goodes was an undersized ruckman who played as essentially a 4th midfielder.

Jackson is genuine ruck size and plays like an elite mobile ruckman.

They aren’t similar and what Jackson is isn’t even unprecedented.

Jim Stynes and Dean Cox were similar.

Trying to turn Jackson into a Goodes or Pavlich style mid would be a massive mistake imo. He is around the ball anyway, with the current ruck rules he has a clearance advantage anyway.
If you want to be technical, there will always be the slightest differences between any two players and everyone is individual in their own way.

I think he has the size, strength, skills and hunger to become a superstar in a multitude type of player, the same way Adam Goodes did.

With Jefferson at Melbourne looking likely to be a bust this trade is going to go down in history as an insane win for Freo (Unless Windsor somehow becomes Chris Judd). I'll forever be sad we lost him but geez he is so good to watch. Be very interesting to see how he works with Darcy back in the side.

With Jefferson at Melbourne looking likely to be a bust this trade is going to go down in history as an insane win for Freo (Unless Windsor somehow becomes Chris Judd). I'll forever be sad we lost him but geez he is so good to watch. Be very interesting to see how he works with Darcy back in the side.
Unsure if Jefferson will be a bust. Will need some time.

Average year? You do realise he made the all Australian 44 squad and finished 4th in the club best and fairest award as a 21 year old forward/ruck
And only Charlie Curnow polled more coaches votes of all talls. Great season after a forgettable first 2 or 3 games.

Jackos improved massively since the trade, overhead marking miles better and his ability to hit the scoreboard when pushing forward has improved too.

Still think losing Acres, Lobb and Logue when Darcy was already there is a dumb move from Bell given Darcy's already a top line (though fairly different to Jackson) ruck.

If Freo traded Darcy and invested the return in getting some more talent in the forward line and wings they'd be far better off imo.

Great to see Jacko doing well though, been Freo's best performer this year imo.
Wouldn’t it have been a little risky to trade Darcy so we could pin all of our hopes on an athletic specimen with not an iota of forward craft, a decent but undersized ruck and a poor overhead mark with hands like cement?

Nice attempt at a deflection with the benefit of hindsight but your OP was still absolute rubbish then and even more so now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wouldn’t it have been a little risky to trade Darcy so we could pin all of our hopes on an athletic specimen with not an iota of forward craft, a decent but undersized ruck and a poor overhead mark with hands like cement?

Nice attempt at a deflection with the benefit of hindsight but your OP was still absolute rubbish then and even more so now.
Not as dumb as letting Acres go by refusing to pay him more than 300k

It is crazy that Melbourne got us to hand over basically more than has been given for a single player in a long time and Freo are still going to come out ahead comfortably. Jackson is just a one-of-one.

I personally would never want to push someone like Darcy out but think the idea the squad would be better with just Jackson as ruck is at least an interesting talking point. Jackson needs to be on ball as much as possible IMO, he can win games single handidly there. I hope when Darcy is back we get a bit more of a look at midfield Jackson to see if it works as well as him just in the ruck

WTF no, they lost.
We got F/S Rights to Oscar Judd tho
Think About It GIF by Identity

Remove this Banner Ad

Back