Mega Thread The Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m a big Sonny fan he’s a role model for all Australians but I didn’t like his ‘It’s not on us to change, it’s on you to change’ statement.

Walters found out that he had to change to assimilate to have AFL career.

No one thinks that deaths in custody is acceptable.

But to think for the current situation to change it’s not all one way traffic.

I’m a big Sonny fan he’s a role model for all Australians but I didn’t like his ‘It’s not on us to change, it’s on you to change’ statement.

Put simply, no one is perfect, we must all learn and modify our behaviours.

Worries me when someone like Sonny firmly stamps his foot firmly on the high ground, rather than leading by talking about reconciling our way out of the mire.

Back to footy discussion.

Put simply, no one is perfect, we must all learn and modify our behaviours.

Worries me when someone like Sonny firmly stamps his foot firmly on the high ground, rather than leading by talking about reconciling our way out of the mire.

Back to footy discussion.
Uh oh an Aboriginal man expressing his opinion has upset you, you poor fragile human beings. How dare he speak his mind.

I agree back to the footy chat. Leave this subtle racist bullshit out of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was the perfect response though.
It really was, couldn’t have answered that any better.

I truly don’t understand how people can be triggered so much to withdraw their membership over players expressing support for a cause that clearly has a well meaning core message behind it.

I hate labelling people racist when they have different ideas or position on some issues, it’s false and does nothing but muddy the debate but in instances like this where he was so enraged that he thought he needed to try to bully the club into his position then I have to assume this guy is truly racist at their core, whether they acknowledge it or not.

Before I turn this thread political, just want to say kudos to the media team for a truly perfect response

I hate labelling people racist when they have different ideas or position on some issues, it’s false and does nothing but muddy the debate but in instances like this where he was so enraged that he thought he needed to try to bully the club into his position then I have to assume this guy is truly racist at their core, whether they acknowledge it or not.

That's pretty much bang on with my take on it. Personally I agree with this particular cause (pretty strongly might I add) but I detest resorting to labelling people racist or bigoted because for many people how they reach their conclusions is usually pretty earnest (DEFINITELY not all...but expanding on that would take too long for a brief exposition of my view). It may not include enough context to reach a sound and fair conclusion perhaps but most of the time it's still reached in good faith without intending to harm or intending to permit harm causing actions from others. All anyone does by jumping to big claims of racist is forcing some who are well-meaning but bereft of critical thought (whether it be self awarness, appropriate knowledge and empathy of the background to the situation as a whole of the other side etc.) to double-down, get angry and pushing them further away from helpful thoughts/epiphanies/sympathies. As someone who hasn't been on the end of racism and been affected by villification, I feel this is the most helpful mindset I can have to discuss this issue (either in earnest posts online or, much much more commonly, casually with mates over a beer) as those who have been actively hurt by it may not have the ability to show the same level of restraint due to past traumas (and those that can are truly some of the most impressive people on the planet).

But in this instance, this person has thrown the toys out of the cot in a tantrum to hold the club to ransom over his membership money because of a simple, incredibly peaceful show of support and good faith. Seriously, f*** that guy. Perfect response by the club and I'm very proud of how they handled it :thumbsu:

Last edited:
Fremantle Dockers star Jesse Hogan pushes AFL selection case with impressive display in scratch match
Headshot of Craig O'Donoghue

Craig O'DonoghueThe West Australian
Saturday, 13 June 2020 10:30AM
Craig O'Donoghue

Jesse Hogan of the Fremantle Dockers in action on 13th June 2020 at Leyshon Park in Brisbane.

Fremantle star Jesse Hogan has put his hand up for selection next week after an impressive display during his first game of football in almost 12 months.
Hogan was one of 14 Dockers to play against Brisbane in a practice match at Yeronga this morning.
Playing as a forward, he kicked two goals from 15 disposals and six marks during the 80-minute game.
Hogan appeared fit and strong as he consistently offered his teammates a forward target.
He kicked his first goal after getting out the back and receiving a dribbled pass from Lloyd Meek. Hogan then followed it with another major from a set shot in the forward pocket late in the match.
Jesse Hogan of the Fremantle Dockers in action on 13th June 2020 at Leyshon Park in Brisbane.

Hogan hadn’t played AFL since injuring his foot against Melbourne last season. He also had time away from Fremantle while battling mental health.
He was considered a chance to play against the Lions at the Gabba today but Fremantle decided to ease him back through the practice match. He gave them every reason to seriously consider him next week.
Stephen Hill also played and took time to ease his way into the match. Hill played in defence and collected 11 disposals. He rarely strode out though and is likely to need more time to rebuild his fitness before an AFL return.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back