The National Anthem, to stand or not?

Remove this Banner Ad

Star Wars in its totality is s**t.
Star Wars itself was ground breaking, but eminently of it's time, even though almost totally plagarised from the Dune books.
The effects don't hold a candle to modern effects.

It was and still is a "had to be there" epic.

Sci-fi wise in order there was the Original Dr Who, 2001 a Space Odysey and Star Wars.

Star Wars itself was ground breaking, but eminently of it's time, even though almost totally plagarised from the Dune books.
The effects don't hold a candle to modern effects.

It was and still is a "had to be there" epic.

Sci-fi wise in order there was the Original Dr Who, 2001 a Space Odysey and Star Wars.
Star Wars and Star Trek own Dr Who. 2001 is in a different category really, proper sci fi against rollicking fun.

If you are going to use the social construct argument, then according to that philosophy, all of reality is socially constructed, and therefore race is no less real than the rest of reality.

Your Socrates paradox argument of where we draw the line between East Asian and other kinds of races is meaningless, btw.

Regardless, aspects of what we call race is hereditary. We cannot socially construct a man born of two white European parents to be a black African.

Characteristic Racial differences, on a uniform scale, cannot be accounted for by a socially constructed reality....The characteristic diversity is owing to geographical isolation/specialization....Such factors also account for the myriad of different languages (Which are social constructs).

There is a clear & distinct difference between Sub Saharan, East Asian & Caucasian people....The fact we even have those category's to begin with, is a clue to that.

The Harry Potter movies are s**t too. Not National Anthem s**t, but still quite s**t.

Leave Harry alone, you Pinko.:thumbsdown:

No, I am saying we are all one species. And I agree within that species exists genetic variation along millions of different axis. Height, weight, skin color, lung capacity, body fat, bone density, hair color, eye color, predispostion to thousands of diseases, hermaphroditism, etc etc etc

Exactly. And most of those variations are based on geography. For whatever reason Danish men are the tallest in the world. Men from China are shorter. This makes them less likely to excel at, say basketball. Obviously if 95% of the fastest 100 meter spring times were won by atheletes with ancestry from a certain part of Africa, that can't be a coincidence.

I just disagree with your assertion about the lines of demarcation for those traits being 'biological race'. I say each individual variation (out of millions) occurs at different frequencies within different population groups. Height, weight, predispositon to diabetes or epilepsy, mental health conditions, eye color (in many shades and varieties), nose shape, hair thickness, eye shape, etc etc etc. Humans have a tendency to pick one or two (usually readily apparent ones like skin color) and then arbitrarily lump that group into a single 'biological race'.

I basically agree with you. It's a bit like evolution generally. If you look at every fossil from every human that has ever existed and put then in a line going back 50 millon years, eventually those fossils wouldn't be human anymore. At what point does a "homo-sapien" begin, and the previous "named" ancestor stop? There is no magical line.

But that's not really what we are arguing. I am saying, based on the evidence that certain humans who have their ancestry in a certain geography are more likely to excel at certain things. It's no different to saying that if there were a sporting competition for "who can get sunburnt the least" then those with ancestry near the equator would win because their skin would be darker.

Look at Africa. You've been using the term 'African' as a discrete biological race all thread.

No I havn't. I have just noted that those with African ancestry tend to excel at running events (which is true)

Look at Africa. You've been using the term 'African' as a discrete biological race all thread. The reality is in the continent of Africa there are tens of thousands of biologically diverse ethno-linguisitic population groups who have had limited contact with each other. Then there are are population groups within these population groups that demonstrate massive variance in height (from 7' tall to pygmy height at 3' tall), arm length, leg length, neck length, facial shape, rates of disease suceptability, rates of albinism (one group in particular have massive rates of albinism and are hunted by their neighbors), skin coloration, hair coloration etc etc etc etc

Yes, there is variation. We know. That' not the point. There doesn't need to be much variation. When we are already quite homogenous as a species, it doesn't take much to create a difference.

Take Kenya. Their best runners come from the Great Rift Valley.The land there is flat and has high elevation. This may help explain why they developed physical traits better suited for running, although it's possible that these features are also due to something called "genetic drift" - evolution is based on random genetic mutations, so any isolated community will "drift" to certain common traits. Most of Kenya's Olympic medal winners come from a single tribe, the Kalenjin, of whom there are only 4.4 million. The tribe is probably genetically insular enough that common physical traits could be the reason for their athletic success.

Now, this is nothing to do specifically with "race" - this is to do with evolution, specifically evolution in a small, geographically isolated part of the world that produces more athletic success than any other. That cannot be a coincidence.

Anyway I think we broadly agree with each other. It just surprises me (and delights me) to see a leftist like you, not look at these things through race. Every other leftist loves identity politics

You are looking at it as a conservative who just wants to see people treated equally with race deemed irrelevant and who hates identity politics. Maybe you're a conservative in leftists clothing. ;)

I saw the original trilogy as a kid, and it was magic. Luke Skywalker is the Harry Potter for early middle aged. How good was the last scene of The Force Awakens?

The Force Awakens was s**t. All episodes 1-6 are awesome. The George Lucas vision is king. Disney ruined it.

There you go - the abridged version.

I honestly don't believe even you believe that crap.

Why don't you ask Thomas Sowell? He knows a lot more about Black American history than you do. And what he says in that video is 100% correct, because it is based on the facts, the data and the truth. I know it doesn't fit the leftists narrative, but lets face it - the leftists narrative is mostly politically correct bullshit.

Only wrong if you happen to like plagiarised, unoriginal, rip-offs with no imagination or respect for the original source material. I live for these movies, I really do, and I was devastated at the arrogance Disney showed.
You need to find new things to live for. The whole franchise is a steaming pile of dogshit, partially redeemed by Empire Strikes Back, but then slumping into unending mudslide of excrement thereafter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That moment you open a thread that you thought was about the National Anthem.

giphy.gif

Only wrong if you happen to like plagiarised, unoriginal, rip-offs with no imagination or respect for the original source material. I live for these movies, I really do, and I was devastated at the arrogance Disney showed.
Yes, Force Awakens was essentially a remake of Star Wars but they needed to wash off the prequel stink first. Now that's done, we'll see where they go.

Star Wars and Star Trek own Dr Who. 2001 is in a different category really, proper sci fi against rollicking fun.
You would see it differnetly if the choice was Dr Who or eplilogue.
The oldies will get that.
Dr Who (1963) was such a massive departure from all other television at the time.
It predates Star Trek (1966) by 3 years and the comparison is totally moot as Star trek did not air in any regional areas until many many years later. Sydney got it in 67.
No point even trying to compare to Star Wars which may as well have been light years later.

You need to find new things to live for. The whole franchise is a steaming pile of dogshit, partially redeemed by Empire Strikes Back, but then slumping into unending mudslide of excrement thereafter.
You make me very pleased that I've never watched any of the Star Wars thingies. I detest all forms of science fiction, or ludicrous fantasy for that matter. They lack verisimilitude for me. Also, in such films, the ending is inevitable. The humans always win, otherwise there'd be nobody to write the story.

You make me very pleased that I've never watched any of the Star Wars thingies. I detest all forms of science fiction, or ludicrous fantasy for that matter. They lack verisimilitude for me. Also, in such films, the ending is inevitable. The humans always win, otherwise there'd be nobody to write the story.
There are no humans in Star Wars, so you can go ahead and watch it now ;)

Oh no Skilts! Star Trek is fantastic :)

Who would stand for the truth?

Australians let us all rejoice at the bankster as our PM.
for we are young and free to be racist.
With coal mines for wealth and toil
Our home is girt by rising oceans.
Our land abounds in rubbish dumps
of Plastic unbiodegradable and toxic
in history's page lets deny the genocide
at every stage
in joyfull string up the blacks and sing
advance Australia fair/white.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back