The off topic thread 4.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep.... from now on I am going to watch the Melbourne Cup and then change the TV so I don’t have to watch bogans be disgusting year after year.

They just crossed over to Perth and the poor female reporter not only gets licked on the neck by some gross female “punter” (man or woman, it is gross) but we have to sit at home and watch this moron pull his pants down and moon the rest of Australia. Yuck.

Yep.... from now on I am going to watch the Melbourne Cup and then change the TV so I don’t have to watch bogans be disgusting year after year.

They just crossed over to Perth and the poor female reporter not only gets licked on the neck by some gross female “punter” (man or woman, it is gross) but we have to sit at home and watch this moron pull his pants down and moon the rest of Australia. Yuck.
Go one further and don't watch it at all.

Go one further and don't watch it at all.

Good point.

And tbh, I just watched the race and the rest of the time it’s just been on the TV whilst we’ve been doing things in the background. No interest in it at all. And yet still, I am not even surprised.

I'm not a huge fan of it but I do appreciate that it motivates work to do a whole office event. It's our first event since Christmas.

I'm part of the problem because I punt on it but wouldn't miss it if it was gone.

I'm against the Melbourne Cup. It's basically animal cruelty.

Not basically, it absolutely is mate. A “sport” predicated on cruelty and greed that not only exploits animals but humans too (I’ve read and learned so much in recent years about the intrinsic link between gambling and domestic violence).

The industry has many many dark secrets, particularly with their “retirement plan” (ie, becoming dog food or meat exported overseas).

Thankfully this expose is finally getting some significant attention. Long overdue.

Liverpool residents and workers going to be tested weekly in a mass Covid testing trial.

Will be very interesting, I work just outside of Liverpool, and we have a load of Liverpool residents working for us. This time we haven't really been affected to much by self isolating (was much more significant back in March), but this might reveal a truer scale.

I'm against the Melbourne Cup. It's basically animal cruelty.
they’ve had to euthanise 6 horses in the last 7 years haven’t they? never been interested in it as it’s crap to watch imo, before you even get to the dark side of horse racing like glen mentioned.

they’ve had to euthanise 6 horses in the last 7 years haven’t they? never been interested in it as it’s crap to watch imo, before you even get to the dark side of horse racing like glen mentioned.

Its 7 dead horses at Cup day since 2013 I believe. That’s just at this event however.

Overall in Australia, a horse dies every 3 days on average. We only really hear about it on Cup day due to the prestige of the Melbourne Cup. The many other deaths are barely a footnote.

And beyond that, the thousands of horses that “fail” to make it in the industry being sent to slaughter. Even “successful” horses who have won their owners significant amounts of money are “retired” to the knackeries when they’re no longer income producing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its 7 dead horses at Cup day since 2013 I believe. That’s just at this event however.

Overall in Australia, a horse dies every 3 days on average. We only really hear about it on Cup day due to the prestige of the Melbourne Cup. The many other deaths are barely a footnote.

And beyond that, the thousands of horses that “fail” to make it in the industry being sent to slaughter. Even “successful” horses who have won their owners significant amounts of money are “retired” to the knackeries when they’re no longer income producing.

Yeah meant to say at the Melborune Cup only, not across the industry, looked into it a few years back for a project, some of the numbers were simply appalling

Going to watch a bit of the USA election overnight. Is there any decent US channels that would provide relatively impartial coverage.

Cant be doing with anyone cheerleading for either side.
Eh.... it's like the Aus election they'll have people from both sides. I think the fairest of the lot will probably be ABC in the US. CNN and MSNBC are out, as are Fox News. I'll probably try and watch some but maybe on the BBC or RTÉ. I'll also have the 538 blog up. Might even go to sleep early to get a headstart on it tomorrow before work.

All our TV networks are way behind The Associated Press live tracking. :p
Yeah i'm just looking at google live updates based on the associated press live results. Looks bloody close. Trump currently in front in 3 states many thought he wouldn't get close to in Michigan, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin. Wins two out of the three and I think he gets up. Arizona going the other way but is worth the 3rd least of the 4 I mentioned. Still early days but Biden now out to $4.50 in some betting markets, might be worth getting onto

Are you a vegan or vegetarian?

Or you simply hold horses on a higher pedestal than cattle and sheep? Where do you sit on Lamb? Because we slaughter 1.2m 11 month old lambs a year in Australia and a further 20 million head of cattle.

You have mentioned the "dark side" of horse racing, which of course there is when it comes to animals bred for a specific purpose.

It also does a shitload of good in this country. 70,000 jobs and an industry worth $10b, not to mention the significant wedge in creates in state coffers from the betting industries and the proportionately higher tax they pay. You probably enjoy quite a few comforts in life directly as a result of the tax's paid by the racing industry.

You can paint a dark side to every single major industry in this country if you really want to. Racing is no different.

Mining, Construction, Banking, Education, Health etc.

Last edited:
14+ years vegan. No specific animals are on a pedestal for me, I value all life.
Haha not the person to be trying that line on, hey.

But I'm one you can use it on Pykie and I think it's fundamentally different.

Firstly I'll acknowledge that I could and should (for a variety of reasons, beyond animal cruelty [although maybe climate change is slightly that too?]) go vegetarian or vegan.
But for a lot of people around the world, it's not an option. Meat is cheap and a simple source of protein for so many. For those people it's a necessity.

Horse racing, however, is not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back