The off topic thread 5.0

Remove this Banner Ad

More pertinent to this conversation is how on earth Novak “blows him away in any measurable stat”?

I mean just the stats I listed, plus the fact Novak is still going and Fed is done?

A lot of people default to Fed as the GOAT regardless of record because of the perceived boring style of the other two.
I can say I only really appreciated Djoker's otherworldly retrievals after I started playing squash. Now they're just as a good as a Fed forehand winner to me.

I mean just the stats I listed, plus the fact Novak is still going and Fed is done?
Fed is 40 and Novak 35. Regardless the stats you listed there’s barely any difference let alone blown away.

You’re probably too young to remember but there used to be a hugely popular show in the 70s/80s called Happy Days. There was a character called Fonzie or the Fonz who considered himself the coolest. His only problem was he could never admit when he was wr…wr..wro…wrong!

Fed is 40 and Novak 35. Regardless the stats you listed there’s barely any difference let alone blown away.

You’re probably too young to remember but there used to be a hugely popular show in the 70s/80s called Happy Days. There was a character called Fonzie or the Fonz who considered himself the coolest. His only problem was he could never admit when he was wr…wr..wro…wrong!

You've still yet to list a single stat Fed beats Novak in or has a chance of overtaking him in. All stats in Novak's favour will just continue to grow over the remainder of his career.

BUt you call names all you want.

You've still yet to list a single stat Fed beats Novak in or has a chance of overtaking him in. All stats in Novak's favour will just continue to grow over the remainder of his career.

BUt you call names all you want.
No. He’s slightly edged over him as Fed has moved past his best into late 30s. There’s no blown away here

No. He’s slightly edged over him as Fed has moved past his best into late 30s. There’s no blown away here

So what you're saying is Novak is already where Fed is finishing his career, 5 years younger, but that doesn't extrapolate to a better career?

Ok bud.

So what you're saying is Novak is already where Fed is finishing his career, 5 years younger, but that doesn't extrapolate to a better career?

Ok bud.
They’re virtually the same at 35. 20 slams each and same head to head.

Federer has never beaten Nadal at Roland Garros, and his only slam there was when Rafa was knocked out earlier. Meanwhile Novak is responsible for two of Nadal's losses at the French Open and has two trophies.

He may be a flog but as an all round tennis player I'd give Djokovic the chocolates over Fed.

I think they’re two different questions. Who has the better career and who was the best at their peak. I think Nadal and Djokovic will end up with better overall careers, although I think Federer still has more titles than either. I’d lean towards Federer at his peak though.

Federer caught the back end of Sampras and Agassi but both past their best, but outside of a peak Andy Murray they’ve all caught a massively underwhelming generation to dominate. All 3 are obviously up with the best ever, but I don’t think any get 20 slams if they played the previous couple of generations.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Speaking of Agassi, his autobiographer is a must read. Excellent.

1253502.gif

This was a big thing over their careers, lack of competition. Over 20 years not one bloke has really troubled them. I cant remember the exact stat but apparently in history it was very rare to win a major after turning 30. Djoker, Fed and Nadal have all smashed that trend. But a factor towards that is that mens tennis outside of those three has been in a bit of rut. You briefly had Roddick and Hewitt at the beginning of Fed. A glimpse of Andy Murray and a sprinkling of Wawrinka but that's it.

Since Wimbledon 2003 there has been 75 Grand Slam titles available to be won. Federer, Nadal and Djoker are responsible for 62 of them. The other 13 came from Roddick, Gaudio, Safin, Del Potro, Cilic, Thiem and Medvedev with one each and then three each for Murray and Wawrinka. That's pretty piss poor from the rest of the best tennis players on the planet. Just 12 players sharing 75 Grand Slams.

Compare with the previous 75 slams before Federer won his first and you're looking at 26 different players winning Grand Slams in the same time period. In that time period you had all time greats too like Sampras and Agassi etc. Yet they were still far more shared around. It's been a weird time. Are Fed, Rafa and Djoker just that good or has mens tennis taken a bit of a dive.

I still remember all the Federer fans pointing to GS titles and declaring that was the GOAT measure. No ifs, buts or maybes.

Only recent years they've started demanding we look at "the big picture."

Wonder why 🤔

Remove this Banner Ad

Back