List Mgmt. The Official Cam McCarthy Superultramega Thread - Deal done!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hate to burst your bubbles and agree it shouldn't be more than a third but it's being discussed as a 2nd round pick for Cam. Freo need to find this pick.
We don't need to find it, we have balls and that means holding out until GWS accepts a third rounder or delists him.

We don't need to find it, we have balls and that means holding out until GWS accepts a third rounder or delists him.

Time will tell. I spoke with a player manager recently in regards to the situation and that's what they conveyed.

I would love for it to be a third pick, that's his worth in my opinion.

I'm still confused why people think we need to use a pick this year? GWS will value a future pick more (they have 3 first rounders this year already), and we have a future 2nd and a future 3rd pick and it means we can still use our 3rd this year.

I'm still confused why people think we need to use a pick this year? GWS will value a future pick more (they have 3 first rounders this year already), and we have a future 2nd and a future 3rd pick and it means we can still use our 3rd this year.

Why would we trade next years 2nd and end up in a similar position as we are this year needing to make something happen and get that pick back to have a reasonable crack at the draft? As it stands, this years we have an early pick and then nothing for donkeys. Would not like to see that continue.

Cam might be good in our system and might be another Jack Anthony.

Why would we trade next years 2nd and end up in a similar position as we are this year needing to make something happen and get that pick back to have a reasonable crack at the draft? As it stands, this years we have an early pick and then nothing for donkeys. Would not like to see that continue.

Cam might be good in our system and might be another Jack Anthony.
Hey I'm all for using a 3rd if we can. But worst case we use a 2nd. Our 2nd next year (hopefully) won't be worth as much as our second this year was. But we might get some change back still using it (get back another 3rd or 4th this year perhaps). As much as next year's draft is ok, I think there are a lot more local talents this draft for us. And we've talked about going to the draft as a key priority and looking local as a key priority. And getting an extra player this year means an extra year of development.

I think the most similar played we've seen recently is probably Mitch Clark. Although it's not official I think it's quite likely (its the word on the street) that McCarthy has both mental health problems and lost a lot of his physical conditioning. Clark was previously worth pick 12. A few years later Geelong got Clark in a three way trade using a Varcoe who they were looking to offload. The other player involved in the deal was Lumumba who was making an idiot of himself on what seemed like a weekly basis.

If GWS want a small forward perhaps that's how they get one. Walters wont be traded and Ballantyne will not move from Perth if rumours are true so what we need to do is involve a club that has excess small forwards. If a three way trade involving a small forward can be arranged I think it'd be the best way of making GWS play reasonable.

The problem here is the gap between what McCarthy could be and what he is looking likely to be. All the talk on the street here in Perth is suggesting that McCarthy has problems with drugs, alcohol, mental health and that he hasn't kept himself in shape. If he sorts it all out he's probably worth our pick three. If it's as bad as some people are saying you start to wonder whether it's even worth freo making the effort at all.

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2016-07-19/giants-keen-to-bolster-small-forward-department.mobileapp

Now that I read this article, some of the comments above about Walters made more sense.

I can't help applying some GWS logic to see what we should ask for should they be interested in Walters.

Michael Walters is a REQUIRED and CONTRACTED player, so magically his value increases significantly by that virtue.

Oh, and elite small forwards are hard to come by, and we all know GWS is DESPERATE for a small forward to compete for the flag, so they must be prepared to pay a premium to have the privilege to trade with us

McCarthy was worth MORE than 2 first round draft picks last year, and he is at that time GWS's 4th best forward with less than one good season under his belt.
Sonson is our highest scoring forward last year, and had at least 3 good seasons, so apples to apples he should be worth about 6 first round picks.

But wait, GWS is a top 4 team! Their first round pick is almost a 2nd round pick and practically USELESS! Need to bump that up to about 8 first round picks. Sorry :D

So McCarthy is like worth West Coast's 2nd rounder huh? *giggle* So I guess a potential trade will look something like

7 first round draft picks + McCarthy + some swopping of 3rd 4th round picks

GWS are looking for small forwards. In the article it mentions that they recognise that they have 3 talls and need some smalls for defensive pressure. I'd suggest sending Mayne over to them with a cheese platter and six pack of Crownies.

For real though, if we're going to try to get a compo pick for Mayne and trade that on, and GWS are after a defensive fwd, and Mayne's girlfriend is from Sydney, would a Mayne for McCarthy straight swap be a real possibility?

For real though, if we're going to try to get a compo pick for Mayne and trade that on, and GWS are after a defensive fwd, and Mayne's girlfriend is from Sydney, would a Mayne for McCarthy straight swap be a real possibility?
If we get a second rounder for mayne then no its a bad deal if we get a third rounder for mayne then yes just swap em

I still think that Mayne would get us an early to mid round 2 compo pick
I also think that our round 3 pick for McCarthy is about right.
But Mayne is a FA so there is no possibility of a swap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Direct quotes from GWS btw -

"We probably need to improve our defence from our forward line," Cameron told AFL.com.au's Road to the Draft on Tuesday.

"I think the ball sometimes comes out of our forward 50 a little bit quickly, and we play three talls up there which makes it a bit difficult.

"If we could find a defensive small forward that would be good, but at the moment we're winning with the structure we've got. That might be an area we'd look to improve."

That's where the talk of Walters comes from. It is speculation - I think people go 'Fremantle need a tall forward, GWS needs a small forward - what's a forward with currency they could trade' and it rolls from there. Walters won't leave, or be traded

I still think that Mayne would get us an early to mid round 2 compo pick
I also think that our round 3 pick for McCarthy is about right.

But Mayne is a FA so there is no possibility of a swap.

Pretty sure you can trade a player that is also a FA. See Dangerfield last year.

Realistically I think Mayne is going to attract a similar deal to Leuenberger or Suckling, which is a third rounder, if he goes via FA. I think we can just cut out the middle man.

It also lets us grab a FA from somewhere else potentially as well (our compo would otherwise be offset if we tried to sign an FA, and we wouldn't be able to get both an FA and McCarthy).

Edit: scratch that, just saw Suckling got a second rounder. I guess it depends on what kind of contracts Mayne is being offered.

Gold Coast did the right thing for their club, players welfare, environment, and were approachable. GWS on
the other hand feel like they are entitled, spoon fed by the AFL, and it shows.

and at the risk of being cynical, that probably explains why GWS are going to play finals and GC aren't.

Regarding Mayne , maddocker will try every single move he had to stop him playing for other team. :)

Direct quotes from GWS btw -

"We probably need to improve our defence from our forward line," Cameron told AFL.com.au's Road to the Draft on Tuesday.

"I think the ball sometimes comes out of our forward 50 a little bit quickly, and we play three talls up there which makes it a bit difficult.

"If we could find a defensive small forward that would be good, but at the moment we're winning with the structure we've got. That might be an area we'd look to improve."

That's where the talk of Walters comes from. It is speculation - I think people go 'Fremantle need a tall forward, GWS needs a small forward - what's a forward with currency they could trade' and it rolls from there. Walters won't leave, or be traded
Forget Walters, that sounds specifically written for Mayne.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back