The Official Week 18 'The Earth is Flat: A Marcus Smart Story of Fouling' Thread

Worst Commentary Teams - One Vote Only

• Boston - Gorman/Tommy Heinshon

Votes: 18 46.2%
  • Atlanta - Bob Rathburn and Nique

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Cleveland - Fred Mcleod and Austin Carr

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Golden State - Bob Fitzgerald and Jim Barnett

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • Houston - Bill Worrell and Clyde Drexler

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • OKC - Brian Davis and Michael Cage

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I like that, the Rockets are like scoring 115 per game won't get it done ... we need 125 per game. They are a true threat based purely on volume scoring. Perhaps the season isn't quite as done as we thought.

You just compared Lamarcus Aldridge whos basically been a career 20/10 guy to half a good season of Jimmy Butler. Awkward.

Oh, you mean I just compared two All-Star players? Boy is my face red.

But actually I was comparing something else entirely.

Same level, except the two times they played the celtics this season where they got well and truly out-played both times.

Inb4 defensive win share/48

I'm going to throw some really advanced stats at you now - are you ready?

37-20

35-22.

I reckon Portland should face facts and trade LaMarcus Aldridge to the Rockets for Omer Asik.

Yeah yeah yeah stop trying to deflect from the fact you now have Mead Towers.

Oh, you mean I just compared two All-Star players? Boy is my face red.

But actually I was comparing something else entirely.

LOL. It doesn't make pulling a flat-out weird Lamarcus Aldridge for Asik hypothetical out of your ass any less funny.

I'm going to throw some really advanced stats at you now - are you ready?

37-20

35-22.

So by that rationale we're only a couple of games worse than the cavs so we're reasonably even chances of going deep in the playoffs then? Great.

Actually no, that's completely ridiculous to expect the celtics to compete with the cavs as currently constructed. Just as ridiculous as the crap you're spouting.

This is poor even by your standards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LOL. It doesn't make pulling a flat-out weird Lamarcus Aldridge for Asik hypothetical out of your ass any less funny.

This 'weird hypothetical' was what Shane Mead proposed, about 9 months before the Blazers knocked the Rockets out of the playoffs.

Moral of the story is that one-eyed supporters seem to believe that they should be able to acquire star players at a discount. And when they can't, they inevitably resort to ridiculing either the player himself and/or the team they play for.

So by that rationale we're only a couple of games worse than the cavs so we're reasonably even chances of going deep in the playoffs then? Great.

Says the guy who wants to judge the merits of a team over two games. I hope the irony isn't lost on you.

Actually no, that's completely ridiculous. Just as ridiculous as the crap you're spouting.

Ah, and it appears we've found the source of your offended.

You're upset that most observers would group Boston with Utah, Washington and pre-Ibaka Toronto as also-rans, and not with Cleveland, Golden State and San Antonio as genuine contenders.

I'd be interested to know your criteria for judging a contender. It couldn't be advanced stats - perish the thought. It's not win/loss record, because "that's ridiculous crap".

It also can't be playoff form, because Boston's barely won a playoff game in years yet everyone knows the Celtics are a contender.

So how do we separate the wheat from the chaff? Number of Brooklyn picks? The colour of the uniform? Enlighten me.

Actually no, that's completely ridiculous to expect the celtics to compete with the cavs as currently constructed. Just as ridiculous as the crap you're spouting.

What's so absurd about saying the Celtics/Jazz are in the same tier of teams? Because the Celtics beat them twice? Surely you're not that dense and don't look at things in such a narrow lense?

This 'weird hypothetical' was what Shane Mead proposed, about 9 months before the Blazers knocked the Rockets out of the playoffs.

Moral of the story is that one-eyed supporters seem to believe that they should be able to acquire star players at a discount. And when they can't, they inevitably resort to ridiculing either the player himself and/or the team they play for.

Says the guy who wants to judge the merits of a team over two games. I hope the irony isn't lost on you.

You're upset that most observers would group Boston with Utah, Washington and pre-Ibaka Toronto as also-rans, and not with Cleveland, Golden State and San Antonio as genuine contenders.

I'd be interested to know your criteria for judging a contender. It couldn't be advanced stats - perish the thought. It's not win/loss record, because "that's ridiculous crap".

It also can't be playoff form, because Boston's barely won a playoff game in years yet everyone knows the Celtics are a contender.

So how do we separate the wheat from the chaff? Number of Brooklyn picks? The colour of the uniform? Enlighten me.
I believe we separate them based on number of Mark of Cain songs played

What's so absurd about saying the Celtics/Jazz are in the same tier of teams? Because the Celtics beat them twice? Surely you're not that dense and don't look at things in such a narrow lense?
Well when you watch the Jazz play the teams that he's implying they're in the same tier as, and they look out-classed, why am I so dense for saying their regular season record is above their actual ability?

If they play the clippers with Chris Paul in the playoffs they're done in 5 games. That's my opinion. Skeletor seems to be the one who gets triggered to the point of being their loyal defender every time.

Well when you watch the Jazz play the teams that he's implying they're in the same tier as, and they look out-classed, why am I so dense for saying their regular season record is above their actual ability?

If they play the clippers with Chris Paul in the playoffs they're done in 5 games. That's my opinion. Skeletor seems to be the one who gets triggered to the point of being their loyal defender every time.
You're dense for thinking of things so matter of factly and in such a condescending, smug tone as if suggesting anything else is ludicrous. The Jazz are what they are a really good defensive team, likely will win 50 games, likely not to but a small chance of beating the top end teams if they're 100% healthy in the playoffs. But cool they lost a couple of games against the Celtics when you watched so they must be an awfully terrible team who will be lucky to get a game off any of the top 4 teams in the west.

If I wanted to be pedantic I'd point out that Boston's record against the 'elite' is far from great

Cleveland LL
Houston LL albeit a close loss
Gsw L
Toronto LLW
OKC LL
Memphis WW

Your comparison between Butler and Aldridge's situations was poor. Your comparison between Portland in their team building situation and Chicago in theirs was poor. Portland had Aldridge, Lillard, Batum, Mathews, and had just drafted Mccollum. Considering the awful luck they had with Oden and the dominant force he was in college, that very well could have been a championship contending team right there. The bulls is Jimmy Butler + a couple of useful roleplayers and the corpse of Dwyane Wade. If you were trying to get at something else that has gone way over my head then you need to work on your wording.

I am more than accepting that Boston are definitely not a contending team. That was my point. I'm not sure why every time I post about another franchise you have to bring Boston into it. This has nothing to do with Boston. You seem to get triggered every time I post about Utah and then have to bring Boston into it as your fallback.

You're dense for thinking of things so matter of factly and in such a condescending, smug tone as if suggesting anything else is ludicrous. The Jazz are what they are a really good defensive team, likely will win 50 games, likely not to but a small chance of beating the top end teams if they're 100% healthy in the playoffs. But cool they lost a couple of games against the Celtics when you watched so they must be an awfully terrible team who will be lucky to get a game off any of the top 4 teams in the west.
The condescension came from Skeletor first, but that doesn't support your little boiler room here so I guess you'll ignore it and keep sinking the boot in.

I have a nice little stat.
Utah have a better winning percentage against the east and the west then the celtics do.
It turns out they just play the west more

If I wanted to be pedantic I'd point out that Boston's record against the 'elite' is far from great

Cleveland LL
Houston LL albeit a close loss
Gsw L
Toronto LLW
OKC LL
Memphis WW
I honestly have no idea what any of this has to do with the Boston Celtics. I'm glad you went and wasted your time checking these though.

I honestly have no idea what any of this has to do with the Boston Celtics. I'm glad you went and wasted your time checking these though.

Same level, except the two times they played the celtics this season where they got well and truly out-played both times.

Back