Solved The Original Night Stalker/East Area Rapist

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.nj.com/data/2018/04/how_a_nj_pathologist_may_have_helped_solve_the_gol.html

"It sat in a freezer, untouched, for nearly four decades.

Claus Peter Speth always thought it would be a key to solving the "Golden State Killer" case. He just didn't know when.

Speth, a pathologist who lives in the tiny borough Wenonah in Gloucester County, was the Ventura County deputy coroner assigned to the murder of Charlene and Lyman Smith in 1980. It was among the most brutal of at least a dozen murders and scores of rapes believed to have been committed by the "Golden State Killer" over a 10-year period in California.

Speth completed two rape kits of Charlene Smith. One was used by the local crime lab shortly after the murders took place. The other sat in pristine condition at the bottom of a freezer in Ventura County for nearly 38 years."

Snipped

"Speth believes the creation of a duplicate rape kit, which he said remains a rare practice, was key to preserving the evidence needed to connect DeAngelo to the case. Nearly 40 years later, he's now preparing to testify in the upcoming trial."

Video about Sharon Huddle...

https://dailygrindredefined.com/2018/04/29/goldenstatekiller/

"I immediately felt compelled to give people the real story on this well-known (and despised) couple.
Within the next few days, I will be interviewing local people in Sacramento area who know, and know well, Huddle and DeAngelo.
Stay tuned for some seriously insightful info coming your way!"

Video about Sharon Huddle...

https://dailygrindredefined.com/2018/04/29/goldenstatekiller/

"I immediately felt compelled to give people the real story on this well-known (and despised) couple.
Within the next few days, I will be interviewing local people in Sacramento area who know, and know well, Huddle and DeAngelo.
Stay tuned for some seriously insightful info coming your way!"

Paul Holes also said at the Crimecon conference, that the fact Sharon Huddle being a divorce lawyer hadn't actually divorced Joseph was viewed as suspicious. The implication being that Huddle may be aware her husband was the EAR but under spousal privelege she can't be forced to testify against. That spousal privelege only lasts as long as the marriage does.

If any of my greater family freely submitted their DNA I'd murder them, not saying that I'm a murderer but hypothetically. The little regard individuals have for their own privacy and lack of skepticism about those who have access to all this DNA material is mind boggling for me.

I listened to the first podcast of the Unresolved series and it was harrowing. Especially the phone calls all those years later after that one family had relocated and made every attempt to not have their location known. I wonder how much information he gained about his victims through Police sources as well as the physical stalking.

I can see this whole story being retold as a movie one day, perhaps with Owen Wilson as the young suspect, and Michael Douglas in latter years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just catching up with this thread and doing a bit of reading. Kudos to those early in the thread on linking the perpetrator as a police member.

Just on that, during investigations I'm surprised police didn't look into that more closely (as they would have suspected the police link). There were suspicions that the Visalia perpetrator and EAR were the one and the same. Surely they could have looked at cross referencing police officers who were stationed within say a 50km radius of Visalia from June 74 - December 75 (last attack) and then within a 50km radius of the EAR hunting ground of East Sacremento from June 76 - October 79 (just before the first LA murder).

Surely it could have been done with a little bit of effort and the final list would have come up with one name (would be a huge coincidence if there was more than one police officer stationed in those two areas at precisely the same timeline). With the lack of suspects throughout its case history it's strange that the police didn't look at this as a way of coming up with an answer.

On another note, think you will find during the course of further investigations yet to take place, that DeAngelo and Brian Maggiore knew each other. All of DeAngelo's murders were inside properties while committing home invasions (years later) except that one which happened in the street. Totally out of the blue and random. In all previous situations when the EAR had been spotted or chased while committing crimes, he fled the scene. This one he ended up chasing and shooting the innocent victims themselves. Why? I have to assume that while about to commit another house invasion, he was caught in the act by the couple who recognised him (and probably blurted out his name) so instead of fleeing he panicked and decided he had to keep them quiet.

Just catching up with this thread and doing a bit of reading. Kudos to those early in the thread on linking the perpetrator as a police member.

Just on that, during investigations I'm surprised police didn't look into that more closely (as they would have suspected the police link). There were suspicions that the Visalia perpetrator and EAR were the one and the same. Surely they could have looked at cross referencing police officers who were stationed within say a 50km radius of Visalia from June 74 - December 75 (last attack) and then within a 50km radius of the EAR hunting ground of East Sacremento from June 76 - October 79 (just before the first LA murder).

Surely it could have been done with a little bit of effort and the final list would have come up with one name (would be a huge coincidence if there was more than one police officer stationed in those two areas at precisely the same timeline). With the lack of suspects throughout its case history it's strange that the police didn't look at this as a way of coming up with an answer.

On another note, think you will find during the course of further investigations yet to take place, that DeAngelo and Brian Maggiore knew each other. All of DeAngelo's murders were inside properties while committing home invasions (years later) except that one which happened in the street. Totally out of the blue and random. In all previous situations when the EAR had been spotted or chased while committing crimes, he fled the scene. This one he ended up chasing and shooting the innocent victims themselves. Why? I have to assume that while about to commit another house invasion, he was caught in the act by the couple who recognised him (and probably blurted out his name) so instead of fleeing he panicked and decided he had to keep them quiet.

I beleive Maggiore chased D'angelo first and cornered him which is why D'angelo shot him but then D'Angelo chased down his wife I guess not to leave a witness.

Finished the original 5 part series of Casefile and then listened to the update this morning. Laughed at how the update started. "Wow, what a ******* day!"

I'm finding it weird to actually link DeAngelo to these crimes. Listening to all the attacks without a name, it was almost as if I could separate the attacker from being human. Whereas now there's a face and a person behind it, I'm struggling to comprehend how he was the filth that did that all.

It's an incredible case, one which will have lots to play out yet.

Out of interest, will DeAngelo face a death penalty or do they not have that in Sacramento?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back