Health The pointlesness of the modern man

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I feel sorry for people without a rough dad.

At 60+ years old I still have zero doubt my dad would whoop my arse if I play up, and I'm not exactly helpless myself. Most of what I know about bluing he taught me anyway.

Silent Alarm you have come across as someone without an imposing male figure, but in the above it seems that isn't the case?

The other day I went for a job interview in my field. The first girl who greeted me was really polite – s**t at small talk but that's probably some test – and this other, older woman sat there looking me up and down giving me snide answers. FWIW I'm thin, clean shaven, and a pretty decent looking lad. I had on a pair of Doc Martens boots, new strides tucked into a (second hand) Ralph Lauren shirt. I had some CK on and looked good. Yet she looked me up and down. And of course I didn't get the job. Probably because I wasn't edgy enough to be in the field or a woman.

I've had one night stands with pretty art college girls and had girlfriends. I'm one of the lucky ones. But there's a generation of blokes who aren't that bad – can bring something to the table – who 20 years ago would've had a root but now, are 25 and maybe, potentially, never will (without paying for it).

We have foods and treats that entice us and lower our testosterone. They're turning the frogs gay. Our hands are smaller, our dicks have less potency, and that's without facing our... point.

I don't believe in the true alpha male. I know blokes who are 6'5 and have the roots I have and can't talk to a girl at a pub. I know blokes who are short and pretty and have gone out with chicks two inches taller. What I do believe in is some sort of... point. I grew up in a house where employment was split and my dad cooked. I don't believe in those clichéd roles. But a man should be there to help his family – to teach his boy to kick a footy, to keep things straight, to be the person who keeps the stoic cool, who can cook and look after his kids, who can tell the yobbo next door to shut his ******* music up. But that's not acceptable anymore.

I remember JeanLucGoddard saying I was the sort of angry young man to fall through the cracks and get into heroin. How I ******* wish. I have a talent and ability to give but they're made redundant.

Wage stagnation.

Middle-class people who grew up lucky, yet their parents are made redundant at 55 and have to sell their house and then – from there – are deemed too old and too close to retirement to employ and so they sell their house. The kids? There goes the house. Their last beacon of prosperous possibility. Poooooof. Whoosh. Like an Aaron Sandilands mark: gone before it happened, wasted before it had potential... a handball... away.

Ugly chicks who feel entitled to good looking blokes, just because some 9/10 once f’ed them when he was hungover and too lazy to try another 10 girls.

What is a strong male role model now? Pussies like Jason Momoa who went to private schools and have huge muscles but can't act or be charismatic? No wonder girls are as confused as us. Even our footballers are mercenaries. The last good one is Luke Hodge and look what he's done.

My family grew up in Fremantle to the extent they were born alongside Polly Farmer in North Fremantle. They grew up seeing Mal Brown have to have a pergola built around him because, otherwise, he'd flog his own players. Now I'm banned from my own club's board – a club who my dad bought me jumpers and scarves and shorts and socks and everything when he probably couldn't have afforded it – because I let them know our big recruit is a pissweak 6'5 manlet who took a pinga the same weekend his dad got buried? Because I say our coach is s**t?

We can't even go to the footy anymore and say 'STEPHEN HILL, YOU WERE PICK 3... ******* TACKLE!' You can't say someone's the worst player you've seen. You can't take out a week's worth of a campaigner boss on some overpaid pussies who say they demand respect because they fu** women they shouldn't and gamble their savings away and it's mental illness – akin to bipolar disorder.

I've been meaning to write a post like this for years but I get over the job rejections or obstacles and... don't post.

Guess it's time to.

delete your account

I feel sorry for people without a rough dad.

At 60+ years old I still have zero doubt my dad would whoop my arse if I play up, and I'm not exactly helpless myself. Most of what I know about bluing he taught me anyway.

Silent Alarm you have come across as someone without an imposing male figure, but in the above it seems that isn't the case?

Tangent incoming...

A lot depends on your own upbringing and how both your parents parented and were parented. I had older baby boomer parents growing up, so growing up to adulthood in the 1950s, 60s and 70s really wasn't that hard. For all the 'you don't know what it was like in myyyyy day' it was a boom period of prosperity for the nation. You could go out and get a trade with a govt utility, get a job with that qualification and buy a 3 bedroom house on 1000 sqm 5-10km from the city and support a family. Not exactly Struggle St.

But their parents on the other hand lived through the hard times. All of my grandparents lived through the 30s and some through the 20s, then they all lived through WWII (one in defence force service in a non combat role). Their experiences and attitudes definitely reflected in their children to some degree. Boomer parents try to sell the way they were raised against their life experience which doesn't always mesh, which I think is why they clash with the next generation(s) who they perceive as wasteful. Don't go full 4 Yorkshiremen with me when you are mortgage free and have 2 investment properties...

I think it will be interesting to see how the next wave of parenting goes. We've seen the result of the snowflake generation of the last 5, 10, 20 years and it's a ******* disaster. Everyone is special. And allergic to gluten. And has ADHD. And depressed. And has anxiety. After years of realising that life can actually be pretty s**t will people start to be harder on their kids and raise them not to be little bitches? Jobs were easier to get in decades past but you had to work hard and there were no social media digital content creators, you welded pipes and sawed timber and wired up light switches.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tangent incoming...

A lot depends on your own upbringing and how both your parents parented and were parented. I had older baby boomer parents growing up, so growing up to adulthood in the 1950s, 60s and 70s really wasn't that hard. For all the 'you don't know what it was like in myyyyy day' it was a boom period of prosperity for the nation. You could go out and get a trade with a govt utility, get a job with that qualification and buy a 3 bedroom house on 1000 sqm 5-10km from the city and support a family. Not exactly Struggle St.

But their parents on the other hand lived through the hard times. All of my grandparents lived through the 30s and some through the 20s, then they all lived through WWII (one in defence force service in a non combat role). Their experiences and attitudes definitely reflected in their children to some degree. Boomer parents try to sell the way they were raised against their life experience which doesn't always mesh, which I think is why they clash with the next generation(s) who they perceive as wasteful. Don't go full 4 Yorkshiremen with me when you are mortgage free and have 2 investment properties...

I think it will be interesting to see how the next wave of parenting goes. We've seen the result of the snowflake generation of the last 5, 10, 20 years and it's a ******* disaster. Everyone is special. And allergic to gluten. And has ADHD. And depressed. And has anxiety. After years of realising that life can actually be pretty s**t will people start to be harder on their kids and raise them not to be little bitches? Jobs were easier to get in decades past but you had to work hard and there were no social media digital content creators, you welded pipes and sawed timber and wired up light switches.

See that's the complete opposite in BHill. There was no depression as work was plentiful and most residents were exempt from conscription to the World Wars as the mining industry was too important for the nations resources.

By the time the 'boomer' years rolled around, things started to decline and retrenchment started in the 70s. My dad was retrenched three times before he was 35.

It's not like the rest of the country.

Also my family has Coeliac disease and it's actually quite serious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dunno, if your dad has never demonstrated the practicality of palm strikes rather than clenched fists to you did it even count?

My mums uncle used to make his children blue in front of him and they had to record the score in their blood, lol.

That's what it is all about isn't it? The queries about the modern man? Missing our animality. The connection to our inner savage. It's not something I've ever felt bothered by. I wonder why SA is so chippy about it so frequently. Is it the city life? I've no doubt those horrid population centers exacerbates all the cynicism one may feel about society.

Thus far I've only produced a daughter so I don't know where to go now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jobs were easier to get in decades past but you had to work hard and there were no social media digital content creators, you welded pipes and sawed timber and wired up light switches.
Just on this, I'm not sure why digital content creators cop such a bad rap.

Many of us work crazy hours to build up our audiences and our content libraries and hone our productions skills.

Sure, you see plenty of seemingly-lazy dumb-asses get the spotlight and it is easy to assume we are all like that.

But in a world where people love entertainment, and want to feel connected to others of like mind, digital content creation is not a prima facie bad.

And those who pursue it as an income stream are not necessarily soft or lazy. Far from it.

Many of us work crazy hours to build up our audiences and our content libraries and hone our productions skills.

Sure, you see plenty of seemingly-lazy dumb-asses get the spotlight and it is easy to assume we are all like that.

But in a world where people love entertainment, and want to feel connected to others of like mind, digital content creation is not a prima facie bad.

And those who pursue it as an income stream are not necessarily soft or lazy. Far from it.

Do you run a blog/youtube channel? Would love to check it out

Do you run a blog/youtube channel? Would love to check it out
Yeah I do and I'm flattered that anybody on this forum would want to see it, but it is niche. Super niche. Uber niche.

It would make no sense to 99% of people here and I don't mean that as a criticism of you or any of the posters on this site.

And in case anybody is wondering, I don't make much money. Would be better off stacking shelves at woolies from a raw $$$ perspective.

But there is more potential upside to this and I get to do something I care about. And I get to travel.

I'm typing this post from a cafe in Vietnam. In a month I will be in some other country in SEA.

Here, my dollars go much further than in Aus. And I'm not surrounded by brainwashed social justice warriors and special petals.

In fact in this cafe I seem to be surrounded by young, enthusiastic would-be entrepreneurs and go-getters.

There's an energy in this place. These guys can see the opportunities in front of them. It is pretty cool.

Who am I kidding, it’s a lock he has already produced 300+ videos for
11 subscribers, five of which are bots, one of which is his mum (who only set up an account at his insistence) and another some guy with limited English from an impoverished country who thinks the chick in his YT profile picture (he likes her sunglasses) is actually SA.

He treasures every one of his 436 views and checks the analytics daily.

Yeah I do and I'm flattered that anybody on this forum would want to see it, but it is niche. Super niche. Uber niche.

It would make no sense to 99% of people here and I don't mean that as a criticism of you or any of the posters on this site.

And in case anybody is wondering, I don't make much money. Would be better off stacking shelves at woolies from a raw $$$ perspective.

But there is more potential upside to this and I get to do something I care about. And I get to travel.

I'm typing this post from a cafe in Vietnam. In a month I will be in some other country in SEA.

Here, my dollars go much further than in Aus. And I'm not surrounded by brainwashed social justice warriors and special petals.

In fact in this cafe I seem to be surrounded by young, enthusiastic would-be entrepreneurs and go-getters.

There's an energy in this place. These guys can see the opportunities in front of them. It is pretty cool.

Sounds interesting, can't give any hints as to what your niche is? Do you make your money from ad revenue or from selling some sort of product/service?

Bolded is why.

It's like being a personal trainer. Nothing against the line of work as such, but there are a lot of people doing it who don't actually add any value whatsoever. 'Here is a photo of me. #hashtag #hashtag #hashtag' isn't creating anything, just feeding a thirst for attention.

Actual creative work is different, regardless of the platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back