The premiership race is not wide open

Remove this Banner Ad

Lucky for me I was born in 1987 and all these facts about Collingwood, Carlton and Richmond mean SFA to me.

All I know now is we’ve won 15 flags and lost a s**t load before my time. I’ve witnessed 1 of those flags live, and I’ve experienced the heartbreak of 2 GF losses in the flesh, but this year may get that back to 2-2.

I love barracking for Collingwood. Being the biggest and the best is no burden on me my friend.
If he remembers 1973, I wonder if he also remembers 1983 to 2016?

Actually think it will be port vs Brisbane or Melbourne in the grand final.
Very rarely does the runaway favourite win the flag, and very often they fail in prelim week
The last two premiers have been the runaway favourites. Richmond were also considered to be the best side in 2020 despite port finishing top.

The last two premiers have been the runaway favourites. Richmond were also considered to be the best side in 2020 despite port finishing top.
Wouldn't call either of the last few runaway favourites.
In 2020 Port and Brisbane were seen as the teams to beat, 2021 there were massive question marks over Melbourne, and 2022 was all about the swans from the 'experts' (despite betting money).

This year it is all about the pies and if anyone can beat them come september

No one will get near the Pies on the G in September.

There were only 2 sides that could knock them off being Melbourne & Geelong. Melbourne is too flaky and inconsistent, and I can't see Geelong winning it from outside the top 4.

Port are fantastic but on the G against the Pies? Cant see it. Brisbane would be a shoe in if it was 2020 and the GF was back in Qld.

2011 and 2018 shits me off more so 2011.

2002 and 2003 it was against the all might lions after all so no real issues.

2011 shits me to the day and 2018 just summed everything up.
2011 is worse than '18. Did everything right (20-2 season, Brownlow Medallist), but failed at the final hurdle. 2018 WC was lucky.

2002 was a wet and cold day hence it was close and 2003 was what 2002 should've been in dry conditions most of the day against a champion Lions team.

Lucky for me I was born in 1987 and all these facts about Collingwood, Carlton and Richmond mean SFA to me.

All I know now is we’ve won 15 flags and lost a s**t load before my time. I’ve witnessed 1 of those flags live, and I’ve experienced the heartbreak of 2 GF losses in the flesh, but this year may get that back to 2-2.

I love barracking for Collingwood. Being the biggest and the best is no burden on me my friend.
If he remembers 1973, I wonder if he also remembers 1983 to 2016?
Would have been a massive burden on me, as it's been on my Collingwood mates of the same vintage. Destroyed childhoods and teenage years when the passion ran deep in the school yards of the '60s, '70s and '80s when all there was was VFL football. The merciless ridicule of Collingwood supporters by predominately Carlton and Richmond supporters was soul destroying for you poor bastards.

You'll get your second witnessed flag this year. Who knows what the future holds. Flags won by our clubs before our time are nice, but their just about as relevant as those our clubs win when we're pushing up daisies.

And yes Fadge, I well remember the 3 decades of self inflicted pain. Only served to make the recent years even sweeter.

Brisbane very underrated just because of the MCG factor. I really don’t think it’s as big a deal as people think, and sure if it’s against Pies or Melb they’ll have a slight disadvantage due to knowledge of the ground but they could well be playing Port or Geelong.

Last MCG game they were going to win and the loss had nothing to do with the stadium, just a choke going into defensive mode too early.

Actually think it will be port vs Brisbane or Melbourne in the grand final.
Very rarely does the runaway favourite win the flag, and very often they fail in prelim week

Depends how you define “runaway” but favourite at this time of the season has won the last 4 flags.

Though I think the last team to be this short was Richmond in 18.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brisbane very underrated just because of the MCG factor. I really don’t think it’s as big a deal as people think, and sure if it’s against Pies or Melb they’ll have a slight disadvantage due to knowledge of the ground but they could well be playing Port or Geelong.

Last MCG game they were going to win and the loss had nothing to do with the stadium, just a choke going into defensive mode too early.
could probably argue that they choked and went defensive cause they started thinking about their poor record at the G and tried to preserve a lead (a tactic which never works)

but people all too easily forget that Brisbane's last win at the G was in a do-or-die semi against Melbourne (who belted them by 10 goals twice that year)

imo the GF this year is gonna be a rematch of 02/03/04. can see brissie beating port in an away final at the AO

Collingwood supporters seem supremely confident. Interesting take.
Wouldn’t you be if you were sitting 20% and 2 games clear on top of the ladder at Round 18?

I don’t imagine many of us are ‘supremely confident’ of winning the flag. No support base would be getting ahead of themselves in Round 18 with months to still play out, but most Collingwood fans (and practically all footy fans) would acknowledge we’re in the box seat right now.

Wouldn’t you be if you were sitting 20% and 2 games clear on top of the ladder at Round 18?

I don’t imagine many of us are ‘supremely confident’ of winning the flag. No support base would be getting ahead of themselves in Round 18 with months to still play out, but most Collingwood fans (and practically all footy fans) would acknowledge we’re in the box seat right now.
Nah you guys should be. You have been the better team for the year, MCG factor plus Dan putting the Commwealth Games budget on it.... it's a lay down Miserere.

No one will get near the Pies on the G in September.

There were only 2 sides that could knock them off being Melbourne & Geelong. Melbourne is too flaky and inconsistent, and I can't see Geelong winning it from outside the top 4.

Port are fantastic but on the G against the Pies? Cant see it. Brisbane would be a shoe in if it was 2020 and the GF was back in Qld.
Melbourne flaky? Interesting. I think the Dees have spent about 60 out of the last 62 weeks in the Top 4. That's anything but flaky form over a long stretch.

While I don't think we've been at our best all season, we've beaten the Pies and Lions and lost by under a kick against Port in SA. We're missing our best player and our best forward. Both will be back for finals. Hibberd and Petty have been in and out with injuries too and are both important.

I don't think the Dees have been flaky. Worst loss was against a red hot Bombers by 27pts on neutral ground early in the season. Our other losses have been by 11, 15, 7 and 2. 9-1 record at the G with only a loss by 7pts so far this season. Gawn now rucking solo makes a huge difference to the side, and with Oliver to come back leaving Petracca to roam forward more with Fritsch to come back, I'm confident we're not far off the Pies. I still think Pies are the deserved favourites, but we can hardly be discounted because of being flaky.

Melbourne flaky? Interesting. I think the Dees have spent about 60 out of the last 62 weeks in the Top 4. That's anything but flaky form over a long stretch.

While I don't think we've been at our best all season, we've beaten the Pies and Lions and lost by under a kick against Port in SA. We're missing our best player and our best forward. Both will be back for finals. Hibberd and Petty have been in and out with injuries too and are both important.

I don't think the Dees have been flaky. Worst loss was against a red hot Bombers by 27pts on neutral ground early in the season. Our other losses have been by 11, 15, 7 and 2. 9-1 record at the G with only a loss by 7pts so far this season. Gawn now rucking solo makes a huge difference to the side, and with Oliver to come back leaving Petracca to roam forward more with Fritsch to come back, I'm confident we're not far off the Pies. I still think Pies are the deserved favourites, but we can hardly be discounted because of being flaky.

You're getting the wins, but they are no way convincing, reminds me of us in 2018 TBH. Flaky, as in one week you're in control of a match then you let the opponent back in, or the next week your behind and then rally to come back. You have also dropped home games you should win.
I'm not convinced you can be relied upon to knock the pies off on this form.

You're getting the wins, but they are no way convincing, reminds me of us in 2018 TBH. Flaky, as in one week you're in control of a match then you let the opponent back in, or the next week your behind and then rally to come back. You have also dropped home games you should win.
I'm not convinced you can be relied upon to knock the pies off on this form.
We've lost 1 game at the G all season. By 7 points where we couldn't kick straight. I agree we haven't been at our best, but we don't have to look convincing until September. We should finish top 4 and with key players to return, I think the Dees are the most likely to challenge the Pies.

I
We've lost 1 game at the G all season. By 7 points where we couldn't kick straight. I agree we haven't been at our best, but we don't have to look convincing until September. We should finish top 4 and with key players to return, I think the Dees are the most likely to challenge the PiPies.
Desperately need Oliver and Fritsch back

Wouldn't call either of the last few runaway favourites.
In 2020 Port and Brisbane were seen as the teams to beat, 2021 there were massive question marks over Melbourne, and 2022 was all about the swans from the 'experts' (despite betting money).

This year it is all about the pies and if anyone can beat them come september

No, Melbourne and Geelong especially last year were comfortable favourites.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back