Hot Topic The Pres, CEO & the Board

Remove this Banner Ad

a board spill is a bad idea at the moment. AS I mentioned the other day, the composition of the board needs addressing.
MLG is going, as is Judd. That leaves no footy head at board level, That's a disaster.
We need at least 3 footy heads to form structure and translate to others on the board that are fiscal/reg savy
One compliments the other. The financial side has been going well, attention is needed the other way. expand out from 8 - 10
even if the additional 2 are short term. Must be a past Carlton player/s
Fitzpatrick comes to mind and one other
The mix on the board has been all wrong for a while.

David Campbell. Egon Zhender. The recruiter who helped hire Bolton, then Teague ends up on the board.

How is he going to hold blokes he recommended to hire accountable.

We dont need an entire spill, but there are a fair few questionable figures on the board.

As much as I think Sayers has dirty hands in many poor decisions by the board since 2012, if this review is fair dinkum, then he is off to a good start as a leader.

His credentials are excellent, Ill support that

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

ITK advise theres conflict between MLG and Sayers.

MLG trying to stop a review..publically backing Teague... after a review is announced.

After he has already said he is stepping down from.President role.in favor of Sayers.

MLG has been invisible for 4 months. Bobs up to protect his legacy.

I think there is plenty of conflict behind the scenes... i dont think evryone is as aligned as you think on the "she'll be right, just trust us approach".

So much for the peaceful for handover....

MLG isn't stepping down in favour of anyone, his term is up, he has no choice. Sayers has been selected to be his successor.

The handover is a natural one, this isn't a negotiated change in Presidency.

ITK advise theres conflict between MLG and Sayers.

MLG trying to stop a review..publically backing Teague... after a review is announced.

After he has already said he is stepping down from.President role.in favor of Sayers.

MLG has been invisible for 4 months. Bobs up to protect his legacy.

I think there is plenty of conflict behind the scenes... i dont think evryone is as aligned as you think on the "she'll be right, just trust us approach".

So much for the peaceful for handover....

See, this has nothing to do with my post, nor is it correct

MLG isn't trying to stop a review at all.

Secondly, which no one has mentioned as yet, isn't MLG still the president? Given you love all this political crap, tell me, is Sayers contravening his position by calling a review, given he isn't officially the president?

And the performance your happy with?

In 10years
4 Coaches (ratten, mick, bolton, teague)
3 CEOs (swann, trigg, liddle)

A rebuild where we are still in turmoil.

All of Liddle, Lloyd, Teague, Russell, assistants in the gun

Players unhappy. A number wanting to leave.
2 of our top5 players unsigned.

Happy days?

Sure the business side might be better, but the footy side is a mess.

For the naysayers, who will now choose to target the poster not the facts.... we exist as a football club, to win games of football and premierships.

We are not Fortune 500 company maximising EBIT and shareholder returns

And having a board spill and a seagull manager put on the board will be so good for our future stability. He ran, he lost. If he tries to run again, he will probably lose again. How about we get John Elliott back with his brown paper bags? That'd fix the club right up wouldn't it.

Impatient idiots like Elliott and Mathieson almost ****ed the club into the ground chasing premierships. I would prefer to see the club build from a solid base. If that solid base is the current financial situation we're in, we are the better for it. But people like you appear to want to set the club back 20 years by getting in another impatient idiot who wants to clean out everyone but him.

And no... I'm not happy with the results of the last 19 years. I'm not happy that we've gone through so many coach. Players unhappy... with what? not getting games. There is a limit to how many players can be put on the field or the bench at once. How about we go back to the 70s where there was on player sat on the bench... and he could only come on to replace someone else. Would that make the whinging players any happier? * them... they get paid more than most people will make in a life time, to play a game and they're unhappy? They train a couple of days a week... and they're unhappy? Who gives a s**t... they are paid professionals. If they are unhappy about something... sit down with the coaches and work it out and if it can't be worked out, ask for a trade. Don't throw a shitfit over something. Be professional about it. Don't go sneaking off to the media and have a whinge.

So no... I'm not happy about the last 10 years. But do you want to know what I am... patient. I'm willing to give the club time to sort its s**t out. And if it can't sort its s**t out, then I can vote at the next election to start changing members of the board. But like last election, I'm not going to be voting for the whinging loser who wants to spill the board because he's impatient.

See, this has nothing to do with my post, nor is it correct

MLG isn't trying to stop a review at all.

Secondly, which no one has mentioned as yet, isn't MLG still the president? Given you love all this political crap, tell me, is Sayers contravening his position by calling a review, given he isn't officially the president?

The only way that Sayers can call for this review is with MLG's approval seeing as he is still the President until the end of the year.

He gets flak for supposed spud picks when its really likely player development?
Well aware Power is the development coach, was in relation to what other poster said. Far too soon to say he's no good, barely been in the job.
I did miss Stanton but was in relation to the other posters post.
Didn't Power have the development job at another couple of clubs before he rocked up to Princes Park?

Didn't Power have the development job at another couple of clubs before he rocked up to Princes Park?

Assistant coach at GWS from 2013-2016 then 3 years as overseeing development of the youngins as the AFL academy coach.

Would be very surprised if he turned out to be no good, ours has been very poor, so god speed to him to get us back on track.

Wouldn't it be until the next AGM?
The AGM won't be until Feb next year. I think that the president changes at the club end of fiscal year board meeting (will be the end of October again this year I think). I seem to vaguely remember it happening around then when Sticks handed over to MLG.

Arr0w i understand there are people on here that actually believe you, but you really need to stop ascerting your opinions as facts.

Believe what you want, keep your head in the sand for all I care. But your opinions are just that and more often than not I know them to be untrue

MLG has actively blocked this review from happening prior to Sunday. It isn't so just because you say it is

No thats because any nominee has to get past the "independent nominations committee" that comprises of sitting board members such as MLG.

So how exactly do you challenge a sitting member, give the members a democratic right to choose, if the person you a challenging decides if you can challenge!

There were 2 challengers to the 3 incumbents on the ballot at the election in February

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You do realise that we almost lost the club due to the financial state we found ourselves in. You won't be successful on-field if you don't get the off-field stuff right. We just managed to pay off our historical debt, would you have preferred we had ignored that and went the way of Fitzroy?
Do you think it's possible to field a competitive football team when you're broke? You need to have the financial stuff under control if you want to win premierships.
and here we are ........

The Board does set the tone for the joint, and it’s a shame the review won’t look at them or the processes they have in place. It’s worthwhile considering the people who are receiving the most scrutiny and where they’ve previously been:

Teague: highly rated at Adelaide
Russell: very highly rated at Hawthorn
Bruce: highly rated at Hawthorn
Amos: highly rated at Geelong
Power: highly rated at the AFL
Barker: people forget he was once rated in the most promising batch of up and coming coaches by the AFL when they developed their coaching development program

you can go back over the past appointments and say the same thing. Bolton highly rated at Hawthorn, Malthouse going to a GF in his last game with Collingwood, Malthouse’s fitness guy Buttifant being considered top of the pops before he came to us, SOS being headhunted for GWS by the AFL. All highly rated in their own way, all fundamentally failing at Carlton.

The reality is that it doesn’t matter who we have appointed over the past twenty years, they have all been lesser people in a professional sense at Carlton than they were at other clubs. And that’s the essential question the club needs to answer. What is it about our culture, practices, and processes that diminishes people when they walk through the door? Until they figure this out and address it, we’ll continue to underwhelm.

I heard a rumor a while ago that Carlton was one of the most toxic clubs in the league. RUMOR. Anyway this guy is one of those types who has memberships up the wazoo and pays for all the big functions supporter sponsorship deals for meals with the players etc - so whatever.

Anyway - his take was there are three factions - the old Carlton crew - yeah like that, there is the big money crew like Mathieson and then there are the past players and general admin, staff, etc more swtiched on people. Basically it was an endless tug of war for power and control.

Zero credibility here on anything - more of an interesting story.

I know, it's why I find it amusing that people are claiming this is all Sayers
You don't think that in the context of a board that football performance can get to a critical mass that the collective overtures to a club review can no longer be ignored?

MLG is not driving this. He's had 8 years as president to commission an external review, and has instead chosen to keep it insular.

It's not a coincidence that as soon as Sayers becomes the "President elect" that things start changing in this respect.

Arr0w i understand there are people on here that actually believe you, but you really need to stop ascerting your opinions as facts.

Believe what you want, keep your head in the sand for all I care. But your opinions are just that and more often than not I know them to be untrue

MLG has actively blocked this review from happening prior to Sunday. It isn't so just because you say it is

Yet you are claiming these things as fact?

Pot Kettle

I don't have my head in the sand, I understand exactly where this list/club is at, unlike the unrealistic expectations/melts/delusional opinions of some on this board

If I was you, I would stop switching narratives, with each changing wind

I know, it's why I find it amusing that people are claiming this is all Sayers

In fact it would be a board decision to hold a review rather than that of either the present or future President. The President of the day would normally make the announcement.

Obviously in this case MLG has agreed to allow Sayers to announce it. It's funny that people sometimes forget that a President is only the face of a board, he isn't the whole board. Decisions are made by the board, in some cases the President has to promote things he may not even have been personally in favour of.

:think: Interesting governance issue. First time i have seen this raised.

You don't think that in the context of a board that football performance can get to a critical mass that the overtures to a club review can get to a critical mass and can no longer be ignored?

MLG is not driving this. He's had 8 years as president to commission an external review, and has instead chosen to keep it insular.

It's not a coincidence that as soon as Sayers becomes the "President elect" that things start changing in this respect.

Why would MLG need to have called a review? He was the only president to have enough character to call a rebuild , cleared our debt and have record membership

Again , yet you still want a spill of the board

The contradictions are amazing

Yet you are claiming these things as fact?

Pot Kettle

I don't have my head in the sand, I understand exactly where this list/club is at, unlike the unrealistic expectations/melts/delusional opinions of some on this board

If I was you, I would stop switching narratives, with each changing wind
Expecting a club that is now 6 years into a rebuild to be higher than 14th on the ladder is unrealistic? Mate, get a grip. The melts are completely warranted, and maybe youre ok with it, but the rest of us arent

and here we are ........

Yes, here we are, our finances are under control the club is in no danger of folding and we are now about to address the on-field problems.

Expecting a club that is now 6 years into a rebuild to be higher than 14th on the ladder is unrealistic? Mate, get a grip. The melts are completely warranted, and maybe youre ok with it, but the rest of us arent

Can't wait to review this end of year.

Like we were getting the spoon in 2019, or bottom 6, last year?

You and the unholy alliance only turn up when we are losing and or drama at the club, you thrive on it.

But soon, you will disappear, lurking once more

Remove this Banner Ad

Back