The pressure on the WA government to relax it's rigid border rules

Do you agree with the rigid border rules or do you agree there is room for flexibility?

• Yes border rules are keeping WA safe

Votes: 45 53.6%
  • No there needs to be flexibility

Votes: 39 46.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes I'm sure you are, but it's not just about tourism, there's trading in and out of WA and personnel used to do that coming in and out of here for that purpose. People travelling in and out for business purposes, WA businesses.

At the moment truckies coming to and from is just all the more difficult to do their jobs, that includes homegrown truckies that need to travel west to east and back again.

Eventually unless WA wants to become it's own soveriegnty and become entirely self sufficient (that means local manufacturing of ALL the goods and services we take for granted - from cars, planes to household cleaning products) it will have to open up and 'sophisticate' border and quarantine policies.

As an Australian citizen, in January I wasn't able to enter WA, not even to quarantine for 14 days before going about my business.

At the same time the WA government allowed 3 to 4 plane loads of foreign nationals into their state to quarantine for 14 days before going fruit picking, a task which is obviously too physically and mentally challenged for the unemployed locals.

I think nobody bar Queensland is happy about the flight scheme. With states trading barbs about what is a pretty neutral policy outcome. Premiers make a comment or seek to extract a pound of flesh at the expense of the federal government.

Ultimately WA is a net exporter of tourist dollars and large chunks of WA are overflowing with locals getting out and about. WA might be parochial but that parochialism didn’t come about because we didn’t and don’t travel to other parts of Australia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As an Australian citizen, in January I wasn't able to enter WA, not even to quarantine for 14 days before going about my business.

At the same time the WA government allowed 3 to 4 plane loads of foreign nationals into their state to quarantine for 14 days before going fruit picking, a task which is obviously too physically and mentally challenged for the unemployed locals.

Yeah I get that's also inconsistent, there's inconsistency everywhere not just Marky Mark.

Half the problem with fruit picking for locals is that there is more incentive to stay on welfare, coz fruit picking which is temporary, isn't necessarily much more in terms of $, not to mention it's usually regional, and also as temp work so you have re apply for welfare (if I am correct) when finished.

That is another discussion altogether.

Yeah I get that's also inconsistent, there's inconsistency everywhere not just Marky Mark.

Half the problem with fruit picking for locals is that there is more incentive to stay on welfare, coz fruit picking which is temporary, isn't necessarily much more in terms of $, not to mention it's usually regional, and also as temp work so you have re apply for welfare (if I am correct) when finished.

That is another discussion altogether.

It was more to point out the question that is asked in your OP about WA's rigid border.

Foreign nationals could get into Australia and McGowan let them in to WA, to quarantine and then go to work.

As an Australian citizen, I couldn't even get an exemption into WA to quarantine and then go to work.

And once there is a single case anywhere outside of WA guess what, Marky and Rog will shut it down again and enforce quarantine for anyone coming in.

So anyone who would booking a flight whether for holiday or whatever and is effected by that won't be booking the flights in the first place.

That is the whole idea of this stimulus to get people moving around the whole joint and spending their coin, but WA's policy is not inviting anyone to bring in dollars and that is stifling us getting back to normality.

It was more to point out the question that is asked in your OP about WA's rigid border.

Foreign nationals could get into Australia and McGowan let them in to WA, to quarantine and then go to work.

As an Australian citizen, I couldn't even get an exemption into WA to quarantine and then go to work.

Yeah fair enough, it's inconsistent, this whole covid episode has seen every single state and sovereignty come up with inconsistencies all over the place.

Now, like right now, not 12, 10 or even 8 months ago there's less room for inconsistency. I see no reason why border and quarantine rules can't be more nuanced for more case by case scenario's. That would make life a whole lot easier and much more incentive for tourists move around and spend their coin.

Control the few that are at risk and let the rest of us live our lives.

And once there is a single case anywhere outside of WA guess what, Marky and Rog will shut it down again and enforce quarantine for anyone coming in.

So anyone who would booking a flight whether for holiday or whatever and is effected by that won't be booking the flights in the first place.

That is the whole idea of this stimulus to get people moving around the whole joint and spending their coin, but WA's policy is not inviting anyone to bring in dollars and that is stifling us getting back to normality.

Yep. We had friends getting married in Perth last September, they postponed it because no one from the east coast could get over there. We all lived together in Leinster and have since spread all over the country. The ended up getting married in January, no one out of the 30 or so guests invited from the eastern seaboard went over because no one wanted to quarantine for 2 weeks for a wedding or have no guarantee that it wouldn't be shut while we were all there. In the end we watched on zoom and I saved myself $5,000, so I was pretty happy with it.

As mentioned in the election thread, the "buT tHe boRdeRs" argument ignores the fact that in this case, Morrison and Tehan explicitly stated today that the funding was to help destinations affected by the lack of international tourism. Something completely at the PMs control.

Unless the Prime Minister and Tourism Minister are suggesting that international travellers are completely ignoring the Western third of the country, the funding should be spread more evenly. (The NT and SA getting only one or two sites was equally ordinary)

And if this is little more than a transparent attempt to somehow "punish" McGowan, it's quite possibly the worst effort I've ever seen. The Premier doesn't give a sh*t (in fact, it plays into the inherent parochialism that's underpinned his campaign and will probably boost the margin on Saturday). The only people the Government is laying a glove on here are already-struggling tourism businesses that could have used the support.

good point re international travel. The following graph is the international arrivals

1615533884138.png

Then by state decrease Jan 20 to Jan 21 (arrivals per month)
NSW Down 880k
Vic Down 605k
Qld down 409k
WA down 254k
SA down 63k
NT down 17k
Tas down 8k
ACT down 2k

The cash splash should reflect these numbers

Yep. We had friends getting married in Perth last September, they postponed it because no one from the east coast could get over there. We all lived together in Leinster and have since spread all over the country. The ended up getting married in January, no one out of the 30 or so guests invited from the eastern seaboard went over because no one wanted to quarantine for 2 weeks for a wedding or have no guarantee that it wouldn't be shut while we were all there. In the end we watched on zoom and I saved myself $5,000, so I was pretty happy with it.

Soz to hear that mate, must've been hard on that couple, bet you would've rather been there too.

Leinster, my first FIFO role back in 07, when I first found out about a week off! Won't turn back now to 5 days and a weekend!

Soz to hear that mate, must've been hard on that couple, bet you would've rather been there too.

Leinster, my first FIFO role back in 07, when I first found out about a week off! Won't turn back now to 5 days and a weekend!

I worked at Agnew / Goldfields in the late 80s and lived in Leinster when Western Mining bought the nickel mine and then again in 2011, lived in town and worked at the nickel mine, Cliffs and Mount Keith.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the end, if international borders remain closed for another year or 2, a lot of the tourism industry won't survive not just in WA but across the whole country and we can't just prop it up indefinitely.

Someone I know has had two jabs in Dubai and has to quarantine in Sydney despite that.

Utter madness.

"Following the science" re covid is the new Keynesian economics. People in the real world know they have been sold a pup. Those sucking on the public teat as usual are like a mob of sheep in winter following a ute full of feed.

Will McGowan lose his pension etc? Will any public servants lose their jobs or pensions?

#carefactornil.

New case(s) in QLD, border will be shut with the sunshine state by the end of the weekend. Sucks as an Eagles supporter with a home game vs Gold Coast in a weeks time, doubt it will be played in Perth now. 🤬🤬
Nah. Brisbane isnt the gold coast. Suns may just need to leave earlier this week and do a 3 day hotel isolation over there with tests before and after the 3 days and then she’llbe right

Someone I know has had two jabs in Dubai and has to quarantine in Sydney despite that.

Utter madness.

"Following the science" re covid is the new Keynesian economics. People in the real world know they have been sold a pup. Those sucking on the public teat as usual are like a mob of sheep in winter following a ute full of feed.

Will McGowan lose his pension etc? Will any public servants lose their jobs or pensions?

#carefactornil.

I agree it's over reaction, the problem is not only McGowan - every state in power is risk averse to any outbreak more than 1. There are ways to manage that 1 or few cases without having to shut all borders and make all and sundry quarantine.

One could argue that they're only worried about the voter pool 'no outbreak on my watch!' and in whatever jurisdiction you rule then the overwhelming bulk of that pool will have your back because it doesn't effect them.

Utter madness.

#carefactornil.
Meanwhile all these rightwing countries who let covid off the hook have their economies in the shitter and west australia has the best performing economy in the world

Love how you right wingers can just completely and blithely ignore the reality of the world around you.

Just fyi the jabs dont stop you catching covid and dont stop you spreading covid.

If you could try just occasionally understanding very very basic concepts it would be grand!!!

Especially when you make grandiose statements like “following the science” followed quickly by statements that illustrate that you might follow the science but completely and utterly fail to comprehend it - in any way shape or form.....

:facepalm.gif:

At this point a normal rational human being would feel utterly humiliated at their own feculence - you wont though !!!!

Onwards you will trot, no self awareness at all - you will continue to repeat this idiotic anecdote about such and such with his two jabs who has to go into quarantine.

It used to be that the mentally challenged folk were locked away - i can see in this case why conservatives look to the past....

Last edited:
And what happened in victoria happening here would send the country into a recession. We cant afford that.

And what happened in the states I mentioned, highlights there are other just as effective ways of managing the issue

I agree it's over reaction, the problem is not only McGowan - every state in power is risk averse to any outbreak more than 1. There are ways to manage that 1 or few cases without having to shut all borders and make all and sundry quarantine.

One could argue that they're only worried about the voter pool 'no outbreak on my watch!' and in whatever jurisdiction you rule then the overwhelming bulk of that pool will have your back because it doesn't effect them.

McGowan has been doing what he's been doing since the start.

But with happened in Vic, it's made all the rest gun shy with the exception of NSW. So apart from Gladys, all the rest are petrified.

And what happened in the states I mentioned, highlights there are other just as effective ways of managing the issue
No they arent “just as effective”

Theres nothing more effective than keeping it out altogether.

Thats the policy wa has - and i dont know if you are watching the election but thats the policy the absolute vast overwhelming majority of the wa population support.

Thats the policy wa has - and i dont know if you are watching the election but thats the policy the absolute vast overwhelming majority of the wa population support.

I think you've just highlighted the issue

I'm comparing actual outcomes and you're referencing electoral support. Perhaps we are answering different questions but that's hard to fathom if you go back to my first post.

I think you've just highlighted the issue

I'm comparing actual outcomes and you're referencing electoral support. Perhaps we are answering different questions but that's hard to fathom if you go back to my first post.
Ok actual outcomes then:

C78800C7-7E70-45A7-B539-1F6FD8B5DBB3.jpeg

Wa :

10% of the population

3.168% of the covid cases

.99% of the covid deaths

but the stats don't support your position based on the states provided

so perhaps we should look at NT, Qld, SA and Tas as to why they were equally as successful

Back