The problem for left wing politics in Australia

Remove this Banner Ad

When they voted for Phelps it was a protest against the right of the libs. When shifty 'politics of envy' Bill with huge increases in tax they sensibly went liberal. It's not that hard to understand.
Could you point out this huge increase in tax? I've not seen a figure, and history suggests the ALP taxes less than Liberal/National governments.

Could you point out this huge increase in tax? I've not seen a figure, and history suggests the ALP taxes less than Liberal/National governments.
Super Tax
Negative gearing
Limit on tax affairs
Increase on top tax rates

I could go on but it's fairly black and white

Did you miss the ~$350bn figure during the election?

And even if you dispute the exact figure, how about this view from Shorten that instead of taxing income, we must be taxing assets including housing, bank deposits, shares, superannuation?

https://www.smh.com.au/federal-elec...he-saviour-of-capitalism-20190426-p51hny.html
"Capital is taxed too lightly," Shorten says.

When they voted for Phelps it was a protest against the right of the libs. When shifty 'politics of envy' Bill with huge increases in tax they sensibly went liberal. It's not that hard to understand.

...and yet Phelps isn't Labor...

...and yet Phelps isn't Labor...

That's why it is an interesting electorate.

if I were The Labor Party, I would investigate as to why there was this swing... actually if I were The Labor Party I would do a few more things to make it possible to win an election

1) Call for a Royal Commission into Parliamentary Corruption
2) See 1)

The problem with left wing politics is the same problem with the dems in the US, no identity. Australia is embarrassingly maybe 2 election cycles behind global trends. Heres whats going to happen.

- Trump will win by default but the dems will finally realise that the neoliberal, identity politics, big business focused ideology theyve adopted since clinton will not win them elections. they are going to refocus on the rust belt and reconnect with the working man.

- The Libs here will do basically nothing, property prices will continue to fall and our economy with go into recession. the Baby boomers will all be dead and labor will notice the swing left by the dems in the US and will follow suit. All of a sudden many of the 35k-80k a year dullards will finally decide to not vote against their own best interest and well have a big swing towards labor.

Labor had a couple of obvious mistakes at the Federal Election which gives them hope for a turnaround, and I obviously only say this with the benefit of hindsight.

1. Franking credits
2. No real counter to Palmer's $60m blitz which had a real effect in Queensland.
3. Bill Shorten's lack of charisma
3. Very important. He isn’t very likeable.

Yes I’ve been rude, called people stupid.
This is why your side lost this election, and will lose the next one too.

People on the left are too quick to lose their temper if others disagree with them, and aggressively lash out

Meanwhile, the rest of us don't care and just get on with the business.

Not sure where this leaves the left, or even if it's salvageable. Even if I knew I wouldn't bloody tell you lot LOL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very interesting analysis of voting patterns here, making the case that self-interested retirees had next to nothing to do with the outcome:

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...e-election-results-but-the-scare-campaign-did

Yep, not even a shred of Democracy or decency. There should be a Royal Commission into this... (Labor (and other Parties and Independents) will come up against these same tactics in the next election).

The minor Parties might argue that they can create a new subsection in one of the Australian Government Acts - but even the powerful AEC admitted that they saw wrongdoing and had to actually swing some of their significant political clout in this election to enforce AEC rules - by writing nice scented letters to the people who were responsible - yet even this! Even this prosecution was not powerful enough to stop this vile and foul deception!

Problem with your theory is that analysis of voting patterns is already showing that Labor's proposed NG and franking credits changes had negligible effect in most wealthy electorates, in fact in many cases they attracted votes - probably people worried how their grandkids are ever going to get a start in life under the Coalition's policies.

The people it swung, in big numbers, were the dumb f***s who don't even have investment properties or share portfolios.

Not suprising. An alarming percentage of middle Australia blows any disposable income they have on idiot punting, so financial acuity is not exactly plentiful on the ground.

Problem with your theory is that analysis of voting patterns is already showing that Labor's proposed NG and franking credits changes had negligible effect in most wealthy electorates, in fact in many cases they attracted votes - probably people worried how their grandkids are ever going to get a start in life under the Coalition's policies.

The people it swung, in big numbers, were the dumb f***s who don't even have investment properties or share portfolios.

Not suprising. An alarming percentage of middle Australia blows any disposable income they have on idiot punting, so financial acuity is not exactly plentiful on the ground.

I wonder whether Morrison got voted in because he admitted his party relocated some violent refugees? Or due to him sacking people due to the comments they made on Facebook...?

You aren't going to get a swing too the libs in Blue ribbon seats.

Probably swing everywhere else because that was the people it was going to hurt. Should come up with policies for everyone next time.

Did you miss the ~$350bn figure during the election?

And even if you dispute the exact figure, how about this view from Shorten that instead of taxing income, we must be taxing assets including housing, bank deposits, shares, superannuation?

https://www.smh.com.au/federal-elec...he-saviour-of-capitalism-20190426-p51hny.html
"Capital is taxed too lightly," Shorten says.
But that's not real, it's just not agreeing to the same tax cuts at the top end as the LNP.

Very different from a tax increase.

The Australian electorate is amazingly stupid and believed complete lies like the introduction of a "death tax".

When you combine a media that helps sell a lie, 60m in advertising and a government willing to lie, then it can be hard for counter messaging to be effective.

The Australian electorate is amazingly stupid and believed complete lies like the introduction of a "death tax".

When you combine a media that helps sell a lie, 60m in advertising and a government willing to lie, then it can be hard for counter messaging to be effective.

Should be a Royal Commission, I thought Democracy was supposed to be the duck's guts of political systems? And should be superior. Seems like a bit of a joke to me. No wonder people like Mugabe always win elections.

The problem is those 'dumb *s' imagine themselves one day owning investment properties and share portfolios.

Everyone aspires to be better than they are.

This is why the 'weight loss' market uses younger ladies to sell to older ladies. Older ladies envision their best selves being younger.

Poor people don't want to be reminded they're poor. They don't want to be treated like poor people. They want to be treated like the people they COULD become.

The dumbest of dumb dumbs knows this. Anyone who has ever sold anything to anyone knows this.

PEOPLE RAISED BY WOLVES know this.

So guess what the brilliant minds of the left tried to sell us? *drum roll please*

giphy.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back