Analysis The Rebuilds of Geelong and Richmond and their Future Prospects

Who has the better future prospects?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

To help keep Geelong supporters feet on the ground after 5 wins against predicted bottom 8 teams.

A few of you getting a little. bit. carried. away. :)
Saints: made top 8, somehow predicted bottom 8?
Crom: Predicted by pretty much everyone to be top 8 and some even had top 4
Hawks: Bottom 4
Dogs: Anywhere from 6th-10th
Norf: Bottom 4

Stop the cap, people like you are definition of Tall Poppy Syndrome

Saints: made top 8, somehow predicted bottom 8?
Crom: Predicted by pretty much everyone to be top 8 and some even had top 4
Hawks: Bottom 4
Dogs: Anywhere from 6th-10th
Norf: Bottom 4

Stop the cap, people like you are definition of Tall Poppy Syndrome
I had a flick through the ladder prediction thread and Bulldogs/Adelaide/St Kilda were almost universally placed ahead of Geelong. A few even put Hawthorn ahead.

Nobody predicted a 5-0 start. 2-3 or 3-2 was a fair enough expectation and that was before Guthrie got reinjured with Dangerfield joining after 2 games.

Now all of a sudden this is all playing out as expected.

I didn't make up the CURRENT BETTING ODDS.
Fellow finals contender Geelong beating them may have had something to do with that.

I know there was barely anything between St Kilda, Adelaide, Bulldogs and Geelong for premiership odds before the season.

So we have beaten 3 of our direct competitors. Once home, once neutral and once away. The ones you need to beat to make finals.

Games missed have been:

C.Guthrie: 5
Rohan: 5
Dangerfield: 3
Bowes: 2
Hawkins: 1
Duncan: 1
Stanley: 1
Kolodjashnij: 1
Bruhn: 1
Tuohy: 1
Atkins: 1

By no means a crisis (most sides will miss their top 2 mids though), but it shows we are utilising the top 28 or so players with most picking up a niggle or being managed so far. And a lot of those players are the under 30s you say are not elite so are as good as useless.

What really confuses you Meteoric Rise is the concept that a side can rebuild while still aiming to play finals each season and almost always achieving that.

Scott has Hawkins and Duncan running around from when he first arrived. He's coached over 40 premiership players and integrated about another 6 new players into the 22 since the last flag.

Fellow finals contender Geelong beating them may have had something to do with that.

I know there was barely anything between St Kilda, Adelaide, Bulldogs and Geelong for premiership odds before the season.

So we have beaten 3 of our direct competitors. Once home, once neutral and once away. The ones you need to beat to make finals.

Games missed have been:

C.Guthrie: 5
Rohan: 5
Dangerfield: 3
Bowes: 2
Hawkins: 1
Duncan: 1
Stanley: 1
Kolodjashnij: 1
Bruhn: 1
Tuohy: 1
Atkins: 1

By no means a crisis (most sides will miss their top 2 mids though), but it shows we are utilising the top 28 or so players with most picking up a niggle or being managed so far. And a lot of those players are the under 30s you say are not elite so are as good as useless.

By no means a crisis? You are having a laugh. As we can see from the current table below, 4 of the 5 teams Geelong have played have had more absences from their best 22 than Geelong. Of your opponents, North and Hawthorn will be unarguably in everyone's predicted bottom 4 right now.

But if you think Crows at $6.00 Bulldogs $2.50 and Saints $2.50 to make the top 8 are value then tuck in, let us know how you get on. That is their current odds. It is not like I am quoting from some outrageous source. I can see you guys actually expect the rest of the world to be as over the top excited by your team's performances as you are. All I have said is hang on, let's see how they get on when they play the form teams, the teams favoured to make the top 4 and top 8, or decent teams near full strength. Because that is what you have to ultimately beat to get anywhere in any season. The teams you have beaten so far are 5w 15l outside their matches against Geelong, and have few meritorious performances between them, thus their current betting odds.

1713222026619.png

By no means a crisis? You are having a laugh. As we can see from the current table below, 4 of the 5 teams Geelong have played have had more absences from their best 22 than Geelong. Of your opponents, North and Hawthorn will be unarguably in everyone's predicted bottom 4 right now.

But if you think Crows at $6.00 Bulldogs $2.50 and Saints $2.50 to make the top 8 are value then tuck in, let us know how you get on. That is their current odds. It is not like I am quoting from some outrageous source. I can see you guys actually expect the rest of the world to be as over the top excited by your team's performances as you are. All I have said is hang on, let's see how they get on when they play the form teams, the teams favoured to make the top 4 and top 8, or decent teams near full strength. Because that is what you have to ultimately beat to get anywhere in any season. The teams you have beaten so far are 5w 15l outside their matches against Geelong, and have few meritorious performances between them, thus their current betting odds.

View attachment 1960930

Ok mate you’re right our 5-0 record translates to 0-5, your future is much brighter than ours and all the ages of all our players is utterly irrelevant because they weren’t born on February 29 in the Olympic year of your choosing.

Agreed?

F**ken hell.

View attachment 1960930
Once again you have missed the point spectacularly.

I said we are already rotating the cast and the backups/deep squad are performing pretty well. Then the ones who have played every week have stood up. The side is adapting to each weeks challenges and the reshuffled squads are working.

Round 1: C.Guthrie, Rohan, Bowes
Round 2: C.Guthrie, Duncan, Atkins, Bruhn, Rohan, Bowes
Round 3: C.Guthrie, Dangerfield, Stanley, Rohan
Round 4: C.Guthrie, Dangerfield, Rohan, Tuohy
Round 5: C.Guthrie, Dangerfield, Hawkins, Kolodjashnij, Rohan

That's still plenty of games missed by veterans while the younger brigade have been doing well in coaches votes and so on.

2-4 starting mids missing each week. When Richmond are missing Taranto, Prestia and Hopper from midfield we hear a lot about it.

Once again you have missed the point spectacularly.

I said we are already rotating the cast and the backups/deep squad are performing pretty well. Then the ones who have played every week have stood up. The side is adapting to each weeks challenges and the reshuffled squads are working.

Round 1: C.Guthrie, Rohan, Bowes
Round 2: C.Guthrie, Duncan, Atkins, Bruhn, Rohan, Bowes
Round 3: C.Guthrie, Dangerfield, Stanley, Rohan
Round 4: C.Guthrie, Dangerfield, Rohan, Tuohy
Round 5: C.Guthrie, Dangerfield, Hawkins, Kolodjashnij, Rohan

That's still plenty of games missed by veterans while the younger brigade have been doing well in coaches votes and so on.

2-4 starting mids missing each week. When Richmond are missing Taranto, Prestia and Hopper from midfield we hear a lot about it.

So you are already satisfied you have the elite players under 31 years of age who are going to win you finals against the best teams in the competition over the current and future seasons because Geelong has comfortable wins v Adelaide and Hawthorn, an easy win v North, and narrow wins v St Kilda and Bulldogs?

Because that is my point entirely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you are already satisfied you have the elite players under 31 years of age who are going to win you finals against the best teams in the competition over the current and future seasons because Geelong has comfortable wins v Adelaide and Hawthorn, an easy win v North, and narrow wins v St Kilda and Bulldogs?

I'm satisfied that we have plenty of good contributors under 31 years of age this season, yes. When we've had senior players missing, we have leaned on all players in their 20s to get the job done. Cameron and Stewart continue to star but the rest of our veterans have just been good, solid contributors like the under 30s you are critiquing.

You're the one who is now desperate to set this "rebuild bar" at winning finals this year. Many had Geelong in free fall into the bottom 4, with terrible youth that meant a long stay down there was guaranteed.

I think, as I always have, that Geelong will remain competitive enough while integrating a few new best 23 players each season. Just like most years.

I'd back in our youth and development system over practically anyone in the League.
I think you'd be hard pressed to find many other neutral fans that don't support either Tigers or Cats that would disagree.

Players don't just "appear out of nowhere" for Geelong despite the media being about 3 steps behind every time.

Geelong doesn't rush players into debuts usually until they are ready.

OUT: Geelong are going to have a crap season in 2024!
IN: If Geelong don't win the flag running away in 2024 it will be a monstrous failure!!

OUT: Geelong will be lucky to win two out of their first five, Doggies Saints and Crows will be so much better in 2024!
IN: Geelong going 5-0 means nothing because they only played teams that will be crap in 2024!

OUT: Richmond are so far ahead of Geelong!
IN: Akhtually it's great for Richmond to be so far behind Geelong!

OUT: Geelong have no good players under 30!
IN: Geelong's players aged between 25y11m and 28y1m aren't quite as good as a couple of other teams in the comp!

OUT: Geelong's young players will never be in the best players!
IN: Unless a Geelong player under 25 wins a final off their own boot, against Carlton on a sunny afternoon at Marvel on a day beginning with a T, it doesn't count!

Where does this even come from, though?

I thought the narrative was 'Geelong will be treading water AT BEST in 2024 because they have no good youth coming through'. That was the mantra from opposition fans all off-season.

Now it's done a complete 180 and it's somehow become "If they don't win finals against the best in the comp, it's a failure"?

Lol, Cats nuffies have gone full plot loss. Great to see. :tearsofjoy:

Giving evidence is "losing the plot"

Sounds like these fellas disputed your baseless claims and now you're going the, "it's not that deeeeep!" route.

Keep moving those goalposts big fella

course diss GIF

Where does this even come from, though?

I thought the narrative was 'Geelong will be treading water AT BEST in 2024 because they have no good youth coming through'. That was the mantra from opposition fans all off-season.

Now it's done a complete 180 and it's somehow become "If they don't win finals against the best in the comp, it's a failure"?
Even after falling off The Cliff™ expectations of Geelong are still extremely high it seems.

Even after falling off The Cliff™ expectations of Geelong are still extremely high it seems.
The Cliff™ was falling off the sidewalk and onto the curb for us. It's wasn't particularly steep.

We might not have one of the greatest sides of all time anymore...but we'll still regenerate every year and continue to compete while being the best club in the land.

In other words, Geelongs 'cliff' is the season of dreams for every other club.

Back