Toast The Renaissance of Ollie Wines

Remove this Banner Ad

Wines on the side’s game plan
“It's probably as clear as it's been with our playing group in terms of what we need to do to win. It’s certainly not easy, it’s probably physically the hardest game style I’ve ever played throughout my career. We make a commitment at the start of games to knuckle down for two-and-a-half, three hours of genuine pain because that’s what it takes to play our game style, but you reap the rewards. Our game plan is quite simple and clear to us but quite physically hard to execute.”

Wines on his own leadership progression
“I think naturally as a leader I’ve got less to do with the football and more to do in terms of leading and motivating the boys. “(The biggest growth as a leader for me is) probably with how I’ve got to play. I think Kenny (Hinkley) to me has always used Trent Cotchin as a really good example during (Richmond’s) three premierships how he led and did all the little things that he needed to do as a captain. It might not be getting 35 touches a game and doing the things that perhaps you see on paper, but it's the little things, the things that need to be done in our game plan I have to do as a leader, so the other guys will follow and do it is well.”

The quite physically hard to execute hints as to why the likes of Sinn and Teakle are given more games than their form suggests

“It's probably as clear as it's been with our playing group in terms of what we need to do to win. It’s certainly not easy, it’s probably physically the hardest game style I’ve ever played throughout my career. We make a commitment at the start of games to knuckle down for two-and-a-half, three hours of genuine pain because that’s what it takes to play our game style, but you reap the rewards. Our game plan is quite simple and clear to us but quite physically hard to execute.”
Winning by under 10 points or blowing teams away in a quarter of football (Brisbane, Hawthorn, Geelong...). Yes, I can see how that must be physically taxing...

...just having a dig.

It just occurred to me that our last and only premiership captain was an acting captain. Oh and what number did he wear again?
But did it occur to you or did you happen to hear Warren say this on AA last week lol

On moto g62 5G using BigFooty.com mobile app

Probably helps in the convincing, when its driven by an ex hard nut, rather than an ex flakey flanker.

Probably helps in the convincing, when its driven by an ex hard nut, rather than an ex flakey flanker.
I remember back when Josh came back to Port from Freo and we weren’t setting the world on fire, one of his comments about the team was that we just didn’t work hard enough, he said we thought we were working hard, but coming from outside, he could see we weren’t up to standard.

I hope that long contract we gave him isn’t going to affect the money we can give the younger stars. Did the club know about his degenerative knee problems when we offered that long contract? I hope he can get back to his best but his comments about his knee dont give a lot of hope.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What knee problems? Haven't heard about this.

Rough night. 13 disposals and only 1 handball in the last when the game was up for grabs.

The week off didn't seem to freshen him up
Yep. He and Boak were expected to freshen up with the Bye but both looked sluggish and unable to lift themselves at any stage of the game.

What knee problems? Haven't heard about this.

Rough night. 13 disposals and only 1 handball in the last when the game was up for grabs.

The week off didn't seem to freshen him up

This is just one example, hes also been quoted saying he thinks it might never be the same and something he will have to manage for the rest of his career. Theres a fair bit of info available via a quick google search.

Quiet night, but some HUGE moments late in the game. First the 20m punch forward from the McKenzie kick in. Then the guarding on the line for Houston goal. Watch as Houston is running in you see Wines plonk himself right on the line and doesn’t let anyone move him from there. Marshall and Narkle come in to help as the ball is in the air. Wines not in the form he wants but doing the little things the Captain things!

That was the vintage Wines that they promised us at the start of the year. If he can hold that form he is integral because the gap between his best and worst is enormous.

That was the vintage Wines that they promised us at the start of the year. If he can hold that form he is integral because the gap between his best and worst is enormous.
There is no best and worst. He is always good. So far this season he has had far less opportunities that he did tonight.

This week 21 CBAs. Previous two weeks he had 12. Removing a player who was taking inside minutes has given him way more opportunity at what he is good at, which is contested ball clearance stuff.

It really shows we have to get centre square balance right. I think Rozee and Butters could start on a flank or wing sometimes just to free themselves up.
While I still want Rozee in the centre, I think he would be a good wingman.

Also from the wing he can help out up forward and back as he has experience in both areas.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back