Roast The story behind Dermie v Clarko

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/tackle

THE UN-FAMILY CLUB

ALASTAIR Clarkson took on one of, if not the, favourite son of the Hawthorn Football Club on Saturday, with a verbal attack that surprised Dermott Brereton but did not have him squirming in his chair as some would have it.

Let's get one thing clear: Brereton loves Hawthorn and Clarkson loves his players and both want best for the Hawks.

Brereton's criticism of Hawk captain Sam Mitchell on May 22 on SEN centred around his opinion that Luke Hodge should be captain and that not every teammate considered Mitchell a ''teammate and friend”.

It's why Brereton appeared surprised - but not floored - by Clarkson's comments because he, perhaps, believed the issue had been put to bed.

Thanks for posting Noosa.

Does anyone else think this is a bit of a media beat up? They obviously are out to jump on any tiny little piece of news coming out of our club, due mainly to our reluctance to tow the media line. And who could blame us!

A few selections from the WHAT I THINK I KNOW section below:

WHAT I THINK I LIKE.
1. Tackles. Picken on Bateman. Merrett on Scotland. Cyril on Johnson. They often change the momentum of games, although Malcolm Blight reckons tackles can be overrated. Really? Ask Cyril that. Ask Clarkson that. Ask Hawks fans that

2. Ben Stratton. Four Hawks fans suggested at half-time on Friday, while standing outside Gate 3 enjoying the fresh air, that Stratton should be considered for All-Australian. Very good young player but AA might be beyond him this year, I suggested. Al Clarkson joked on radio the said four blokes might've been smoking ''pot''.

6. Beau Muston. Has found a position as a defensive half-forward, taking Dustin Fletcher and Robert Murphy in recent weeks. What an annoying little bastard he would be to play on, and what a positive he is for the Hawks.

WHAT I THINK I DON'T LIKE
3. Unrealistic umpiring. Michael Osborne jumped early, slightly turned in the air and got two hands to the pill. The umpire paid a free kick for an ''unrealistic attempt'' to mark. Unbelievable. Leon Davis is in trouble, for next they'll be penalising unrealistic attempts at goal.

Problem is Dermie said in his original opinion piece I have to be careful here because of legal issues insinuating he had inside information but then suggested to Clarko he had none on Saturday. Clarko's reaction was an almost sarcastic well you stick with that story Derm. Clarko's comments left me in no doubt Dermie had information not available to the public and he felt that should have meant Dermie should not have commented specifically on Mitch and the captaincy and whether the players liked him or not.

Personally I thought Dermie's original comments were way out of line and really unfair on Mitch, whether Derm was a Hawks legend or not. As for a media beat up I don't think so as this was a recurring story all of Saturday on SEN and probably yesterday.

If Dermott is going to do his role in the media then he should be non biast and not hold his tongue just because he played for the hawks. I really can't understand Clarkos position.

Yet I can't understand why Brereton would want to destabilise the club he supposedly treasures so dearly.

No need for him to comment. If he wants to take a pot shot at the Hawks, talk about something he didn't learn from being an insider.

Poor form by Derm :thumbsdown: for mine and well done Clarko :thumbsu: for voicing his opinion.

Derm (who we all acknowledge performed legendary feats for this club in earlier times...) is making a choice to work with the media and can report on what he likes...

BUT

then you can't have it both ways....report on s**t like that and expect the current crop of loyal Hawks servants to go "yeah fair enough, it was derm, so thats ok..."

100% behind Clarko on this one and super-impressed (yet again) with Sammy's handling of the whole event.

Derm you are pissing on your own brand and have some of the Hawks tribe losing respect for you. :thumbsdown:

Problem is Dermie said in his original opinion piece I have to be careful here because of legal issues insinuating he had inside information but then suggested to Clarko he had none on Saturday.

This, and i'm surprised more haven't picked up on it....

There was no need to go that far re: legal reasons.....he had made his point already about thinking Hodge should be captain and that not everyone is friend's with Mitch. When asked on his opinions on why Hodge isn't captain, can anyone please tell me (perhaps Mr. Robinson himself seeing as he likes to gather 'popular opinion' from here...) why he simply didn't say "Not sure", or "Perhaps Mitch is better with the media..." or something to that effect?

The fact that he says he has no inside knowledge on his reasoning for such comments whilst Clarko is around, yet when originally asked a while back, he clearly stated he couldn't state the reasons because of legal issues, is the real problem here.

The article is horrible (thanks though noose). It suggests Dermie is "one of, if not the, favourite son of the Hawthorn Football Club". True. But what the article decides not to suggest is the thought that a such a well respected, favourite son of our club perhaps shouldn't be setting his media agenda on (purposely or not) potentially destabilizing the club of which he is such an apparent favourite of.:rolleyes:

There is know way he couldn't have known the potential effect this may have/may have had on the club.

The fact that the article states "a verbal attack that surprised Dermott Brereton but did not have him squirming in his chair as some would have it." shows the true agenda that the 'journalist' (and I use that term extremely loosely) had in mind for his 'article', as deaf man Freddy could quite clearly hear a nervous Dermott backtracking and 'squirming in his seat' before his very ears....

The insinuation that Sam may not be the most liked person at the club and the belief that Hodge would be a better captain was fine by Dermie....it's his 'job' (again I use this term loosely). To deny further reasoning of why Hodge isn't captain due to 'legal issues' (opening the door for every man and his dog to guess just what this means) and then say the complete opposite in that you have no inside knowledge after all, is a disgrace and doesn't fit into the persona of being "one of, if not the, favourite son of the Hawthorn Football Club."

I am afraid I have lost some respect for Dermie,he had no need whatsoever to come out with what he said..Yes, he was a great, tough player for us, but that doesn't give him licence to bag one of our own, in the WAY he did..
He also forgets that if it weren't for our club, he wouldn't be in the media today, like so many retired footballers.
He will be a guest on Footy Classified tonight.
Won't Wilson be happy to give him heaps on this subject. No doubt it is the only reason they invited him on. There is absolutely no other reason to have him as a guest.Will be interesting to hear what he says...
It's time this whole subject was put to bed, once and for all!!!

Lets not forget there are legal issues from Dermie comments, If Sammy really wanted to he could sue Dermie for defamation and slandering but Sammy wont drag his team through the mud, i love Dermie but what he said about our Captain i will never forgive, he can say we are playing soft football and are not hungry things like that are good criticism but to slander a captain of his former football club like he did is totally wrong..

Lets not forget there are legal issues from Dermie comments, If Sammy really wanted to he could sue Dermie for defamation and slandering but Sammy wont drag his team through the mud, i love Dermie but what he said about our Captain i will never forgive, he can say we are playing soft football and are not hungry things like that are good criticism but to slander a captain of his former football club like he did is totally wrong..

Defamation you reckon?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks a bit like Derm... it's the eyes.

predator.jpg

Thanks for posting Noosa.

Does anyone else think this is a bit of a media beat up? They obviously are out to jump on any tiny little piece of news coming out of our club, due mainly to our reluctance to tow the media line. And who could blame us!

Absolutely a beat up.
Heard it live and whilst slightly taken aback initially I am since flabbergasted that I have heard it again about 8 times and read about it about 3 times too.

Derm seems to have less problem with it than everyone else.

Absolutely a beat up.
Heard it live and whilst slightly taken aback initially I am since flabbergasted that I have heard it again about 8 times and read about it about 3 times too.

Agree

Brereton is an ex-director of the Hawthorn board. His legal issues are probably more to do with board confidentiality than fear of defamation.

Brereton defamed Hodge by suggesting that there was some reason the club prefered Mitchell to Hodge which he could could not go into for "legal reasons".

If his article had just keep to the normal level of football journalism ie drivel, and said Hodge is the spiritual leader and some players don't like Mitchell then who on earth would care? But no he had to link Hodge with the injunction matter which is exceedingly grubby and stupid.

The club's lawyers should have a good chat to Dermott.

Now he claims he has no inside information and his prior assertion is now mere supposition.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/hodge-should-be-at-the-helm-says-brereton-20100522-w31v.html

''Everybody knew right from the start, that cliche, the spiritual captain, has always been Luke Hodge,'' Brereton said.

Asked why Hodge had not been made captain, Brereton was coy.

''I can't really answer that without getting in trouble and I am not privy to any information,'' he said on SEN radio.

''My opinion is based on supposition and I can't answer it without contravening something that would see a lawsuit.''

What a total tool.

He publicy said that Sam had no team Mates and friends at the club, that sounds like slandering and defamation because it is lying about a person character , im not 100% certain I may be wrong.

You are wrong - about everything in that post.

Listen to it again, or better still read the transcript.
Dermy says Sam is not necessarily as well liked by his peers as Hodgey.
Doesn't say he has no mates or friends.

Defamation of character would require the assertion of fact or facts which is designed to reduce the public perception of a person to their detriment. Frankly, it's couched reasonably clearly as Dermott's opinion and he himself said it wasn't based on information from the 'inner sanctum'.

To succeed in a defamation claim, you must be able to establish you have suffered some loss to your reputation as a result of the comments.

As far as I'm concerned, the only thing lost is my respect for Dermott, albeit only slightly. My respect for Sam has increased as a result of how he's handled himself this year both on and off the field.

Brereton defamed Hodge by suggesting that there was some reason the club prefered Mitchell to Hodge which he could could not go into for "legal reasons".

If his article had just keep to the normal level of football journalism ie drivel, and said Hodge is the spiritual leader and some players don't like Mitchell then who on earth would care? But no he had to link Hodge with the injunction matter which is exceedingly grubby and stupid.

The club's lawyers should have a good chat to Dermott.

Now he claims he has no inside information and his prior assertion is now mere supposition.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/hodge-should-be-at-the-helm-says-brereton-20100522-w31v.html

What a total tool.

Brereton claiming Hodge was more popular as captain than Mitchell is a much less damaging statement.

On Footy Classified Hutchy made a brief attempt to correct why Clarkson has taken his position with Brereton, but was promptly interupted.

Why is this a surprise, mate? Derm wasn't the one having his name dragged through the dirt. Why would he have a problem with this?

Sam has a right to have a problem with it - Derm has publicly stated that some of his teammates don't look at him as a friend, yet, has absolutely no inside knowledge on the matter what so ever. Journalism 101.

Hodge has a right to have a problem with it - Derm has now confused everybody with his little "legal issue" tripe, which in turn has caused an outcry of allegations and rumours against Hodge. Truly a great display from one of the club's most well known and respected figures.

Clarko may have been out of line defending his club publicly, but nonetheless, defending your club's and players' integrity is part of the job as coach I would have thought.

Derm....Well Derm has caused a media storm with this and quite frankly, will be loving the fact that it's the most attention he has had for quite some time. Do we see other great players of the past turned media rip into their old teams with such accusations and statements as Derm's? Not to my knowledge we don't.

So again, I can't at all see why you'd be surprised that Derm doesn't have a problem with all of this...

It's everyone else that should have a problem with the way a former great of our beloved club has no qualms in turning his back on what got him to where he is today.

Problem is Dermie said in his original opinion piece I have to be careful here because of legal issues insinuating he had inside information but then suggested to Clarko he had none on Saturday. quote]

The legal issue is the same legal issue that cannot be spoken about - it is not "inside" information. Captancy and this happened at the same time remember.

On 3AW tonight, Ben Stratton summed up my attitude to Dermie at the moment.

When given the name Dermott in a word association test he said:

"Not too sure."

To me that is what the HFC and all those loyal to HFC should think.

That is, we are not sure we can trust him anymore.

You are wrong - about everything in that post.

Listen to it again, or better still read the transcript.
Dermy says Sam is not necessarily as well liked by his peers as Hodgey.
Doesn't say he has no mates or friends.

Defamation of character would require the assertion of fact or facts which is designed to reduce the public perception of a person to their detriment. Frankly, it's couched reasonably clearly as Dermott's opinion and he himself said it wasn't based on information from the 'inner sanctum'.

To succeed in a defamation claim, you must be able to establish you have suffered some loss to your reputation as a result of the comments.

As far as I'm concerned, the only thing lost is my respect for Dermott, albeit only slightly. My respect for Sam has increased as a result of how he's handled himself this year both on and off the field.

Ah OK, ye i was not 100% sure i do know you can sue for defamation and slandering but like you said there are certain situations that need to be taken into account..Good to know we have Lawyers on BF I might need a Lawyer one day..:D...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back