Arts & Humanities The Things That Make You Sad Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

At times of a major death in a family that's when s**t can kick off. I was worried about this when my mum died, I'm close to my three brothers and we stayed rock solid through it, I figure we will be forever now.
I'm the opposite. I have a sister who I was barely on speaking terms with before mum died. Any time we did speak was for mum's sake. Now mum is gone I don't envisage myself having anything to do with her.

I'm the opposite. I have a sister who I was barely on speaking terms with before mum died. Any time we did speak was for mum's sake. Now mum is gone I don't envisage myself having anything to do with her.

Not all familes get on .

Sometimes if a death in the family.
The Hands come out and fight about money.

My brother's and I get on .

My Ant jelly my mum had 3 boys while she had girls... stupid s**t ..

Just heard a report that it's all over the state. Hervey Bay had 20 homeless camps not long ago, now well over 100. Many of the people even have jobs!
This isn't new but it's getting worse.

If only there was the political will to do something instantaneously that would assist this. But no the risk of being labelled xenophobic is too much for the politicians
haven't been paying attention to the news I take it

This isn't new but it's getting worse.
Had friends working in the hotels around Palm Cove 20 years ago. Was very common for these types to live in tents. Was a whole market for transferring cooking gear etc. between incomers and outgoers. Seemed a little weird that the Sommelier for the 5 star Sea Temple hotel was living in a tent. Must have been a pain to keep the suit clean.

But it was almost a lifestyle then. Bounce around working with a lean logistical tail building a rich resume before coming back to a city and settling down or splitting up.

These days so many people have no choice. The rents in my building alone are hideous! Far more than what my minimum mortgage payment + OC fees is. And every time there's an open inspection there's so many people they have to show them the apartment in shifts. Real tough time to be starting out. Glad it's not me :huh:

Had friends working in the hotels around Palm Cove 20 years ago. Was very common for these types to live in tents. Was a whole market for transferring cooking gear etc. between incomers and outgoers. Seemed a little weird that the Sommelier for the 5 star Sea Temple hotel was living in a tent. Must have been a pain to keep the suit clean.

But it was almost a lifestyle then. Bounce around working with a lean logistical tail building a rich resume before coming back to a city and settling down or splitting up.

These days so many people have no choice. The rents in my building alone are hideous! Far more than what my minimum mortgage payment + OC fees is. And every time there's an open inspection there's so many people they have to show them the apartment in shifts. Real tough time to be starting out. Glad it's not me :huh:
housing affordability including renting is at an all time low
people have been talking about this for years
long term housing stock has been getting hoovered up and converted into short stay accommodation for years, governments in every state and territory have been letting public housing stocks dwindle and fall into disrepair

we've seen massive wealth transfer via the selling off or leasing of public land to developers to build more housing but not really more public housing

decades of pushing residential property as an investment complete with policy to encourage this

immigration is an easy target here, all the policies we have seen in the last 2 years from the HAFF to various state programs have all been about keeping the above going while pretending to do something for people

they want to you believe they can fix it without changing the reasons we got here and to that end immigration and foreign ownership are the easy targets that play well with the xenophobia that is constantly stoked by politicians and the media

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The people down the road from me reguarly just trash their fairly new Homeswest place, smashed windows, holes in walls.. always gets fixed eventually though and they are allowed to keep it.

This is another issue why some don't get or shouldn't get the keys to a house .
Maybe education might help.

This is another issue why some don't get or shouldn't get the keys to a house .
Maybe education might help.
The know there is absolutely no real consequences for their actions so they just don't care. Same with the going to court when they get in trouble with the police, just rinse and repeat.

It's pretty disgusting when other people here are stuck in old shitty places or even homeless elsewhere in the country.

The know there is absolutely no real consequences for their actions so they just don't care. Same with the going to court when they get in trouble with the police, just rinse and repeat.

It's pretty disgusting when other people here are stuck in old shitty places or even homeless elsewhere in the country.

Some people wreak it for others.

I've heard stories .
I've seen people take out furniture out of houses and throw them in bon fire ..
Leaving nothing to sit on inside ...madness.

My wife is giving me a weekend away to relax at the end of the year after I've been home schooling our kids all year (for medical reasons). Wanting to sit on the beach, read books, watch a bit of cricket and eat nice food.
Tried to book via AirBnB, and the host just cancelled as she "wasn't comfortable with the booking". :(

Some of those BnB places look nice then you read you have to live with the person living there

FFFFFFFF.... THAT!!!

If your getting a few days away to chill just book a nice beach balcony place in QLD and set yourself up with the cricket on tv

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sounds AMAZING actually.

I know it's pointless wasting money on watching TV on a holiday but when you need to switch off from life then a QLD water view, cool breeze through the open balcony doors, many beers and test match on telly Sounds like an absolute dream.

No pressure to head out and do stuff either.

I've stayed at an air bnb in Geelong a couple times when the host was there. She was lovely (ex teacher so had alot to talk about there) and my quarters were very separate to the main townhouse so it was fine.

For a one night stay. Doubt if it was a legit holiday I'd want that
IMG_3353.gif

Sounds AMAZING actually.

I know it's pointless wasting money on watching TV on a holiday but when you need to switch off from life then a QLD water view, cool breeze through the open balcony doors, many beers and test match on telly Sounds like an absolute dream.

No pressure to head out and do stuff either.

Oh man you've just talked me into booking something 4 sure!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back