Arts & Humanities The Things That Make You Sad Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

My other dog is pining the loss of his mate. He's hardly eaten since we lost him.

Give him lots of love .

Dogs adjust really well but might take a week or two.

Took my labs about a month to let Rufus the Westie into their pack .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So sorry to hear that raskolnikov - big hugs for you

It’s going to be an even more difficult time for you given your relationship with your sister - take care of yourself and try not to get caught up in it all. Just grieve your mum

Condolences Rasko.

My mother died in July. She would have been delighted to have outlasted Queen Betty.

She spent the last year of her life in resi care. I was no longer physically or mentally capable of providing the 24/7 care I’d done during Covid. She was 97.

Grieving is an odd thing. I grieved for my mothers progressive loss of insight as dementia kicked in far more than her eventual death. My predominant reactions were pure relief and guilt about feeling that relief.

We have been great at increasing quantity of life but crap at increasing quality. Unhappily our loss of brain plasticity at circa 85 on is at odds with the numbers who will make advanced age. We are unable to evolve quickly enough as a species to take advantage of extended life.

No way am I hangin‘ around and losing what few marbles I have. Happily having been a committed smoker plus some other health issues will ensure I don’t qualify for extreme age.

My parents didn't live long enough to develop dementia (48 and 75) but both the in-laws developed it after turning 80. MIL's was worse; she became too unmanageable for family to look after :'(. FIL's Alzheimer's was deceptive in that he could seem perfectly normal, but lots of things happened that weren't.

So sorry to hear that raskolnikov - big hugs for you

It’s going to be an even more difficult time for you given your relationship with your sister - take care of yourself and try not to get caught up in it all. Just grieve your mum

At times of a major death in a family that's when s**t can kick off. I was worried about this when my mum died, I'm close to my three brothers and we stayed rock solid through it, I figure we will be forever now.

Condolences Rasko.

My mother died in July. She would have been delighted to have outlasted Queen Betty.

She spent the last year of her life in resi care. I was no longer physically or mentally capable of providing the 24/7 care I’d done during Covid. She was 97.

Grieving is an odd thing. I grieved for my mothers progressive loss of insight as dementia kicked in far more than her eventual death. My predominant reactions were pure relief and guilt about feeling that relief.

We have been great at increasing quantity of life but crap at increasing quality. Unhappily our loss of brain plasticity at circa 85 on is at odds with the numbers who will make advanced age. We are unable to evolve quickly enough as a species to take advantage of extended life.

No way am I hangin‘ around and losing what few marbles I have. Happily having been a committed smoker plus some other health issues will ensure I don’t qualify for extreme age.

You do a really good job of annunciating why dementia is so tough on families - you're essentially left the grieve the person that you knew and loved before they've died, which is an incredible mindheck, and I think explains your feeling of relief. Once they're gone you can actually grieve properly, rather than be in that awful halfway house of grieving a person who is still alive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back