Training The Thread Formerly Known As The Training Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Talk there going to push the Start of the Season back at least 2-3 weeks
I hope not, we have waited too long. Just yesterday morning, everything was fine, not much about coronavirus was going around the AFL. Now the media have put fear into everyone, and the AFL/clubs can’t ignore because they’ll cop it for not taking action. No doubt it can be deadly, but the media is driving this whole thing.

I hope not, we have waited too long. Just yesterday morning, everything was fine, not much about coronavirus was going around the AFL. Now the media have put fear into everyone, and the AFL/clubs can’t ignore because they’ll cop it for not taking action. No doubt it can be deadly, but the media is driving this whole thing.
Likewise. A delayed start is certainly a better option than lockouts though. While I understand the desire to maintain tv $$$ I don’t see the point of playing without a crowd.

Then we all should stay in our Bedrooms and Don't Leave for at least a Couple of Months or We all will Die.

Media love Fear Mongring

Then we all should stay in our Bedrooms and Don't Leave for at least a Couple of Months or We all will Die.

Media love Fear Mongring
Yes they do.

And they live for it.

Wind the masses up, stir the pot, cause panic.
The media sewer.

AFL have been informed by the Govt & Chief Medical officer that Australia’s most dangerous time atm is from around 10 April till early May. This is the timeframe that most likely effects games being closed to the public for fear of spreading . This was as if 48 hrs ago

AFL have been informed by the Govt & Chief Medical officer that Australia’s most dangerous time atm is from around 10 April till early May. This is the timeframe that most likely effects games being closed to the public for fear of spreading . This was as if 48 hrs ago
After hearing they could push the start of the season back a few weeks, or even suspend it all together, makes me want no crowds more. I just want the 4 points, at least it’s something.

Can we even show up to training tomorrow? No doubt we’re banned. Last week everything was fine... now we can’t even go near the players. It’s always the media. Putting fear into everyone.

After hearing they could push the start of the season back a few weeks, or even suspend it all together, makes me want no crowds more. I just want the 4 points, at least it’s something.
Does this also mean AFL players will have to live in a bubble? Attend quarantined training sessions to avoid catching and subsequently spreading the virus amongst one another?

Surely this thing eventually hits a critical mass where a significant proportion of people, including elite athletes, have suffered it. I appreciate reducing mass gatherings is a strategy to avoid facilitating the quick spread and avoiding deaths until a vaccine can be developed and disseminated but I don’t see that lockouts will necessarily do much for the player’s health necessarily. Or am I missing the whole point (please be gentle with your responses if I am :p )?

Can we even show up to training tomorrow? No doubt we’re banned. Last week everything was fine... now we can’t even go near the players. It’s always the media. Putting fear into everyone.
Don't see why not. There was no reason to put it in the article that its at 10am. I'll go and sit on the hill near aami park. Its free country. As long as your not near the players, should be fine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't see why not. There was no reason to put it in the article that its at 10am. I'll go and sit on the hill near aami park. Its free country. As long as your not near the players, should be fine.
The things you do for us! 🤣⚫⚪

Don't think you can blame the media for this one. Spoke to a doctor today who has doctor friends in Lombardy region of Italy. They have run out of respirators and are being forced into choosing who they treat and who they let die. There is also some concern that the virus has mutated into several different strains. The press have not closed down Italy, their Government in collaboration with medical authorities have chosen this risk management strategy.

Last edited:
Sorry, but that's absolute twaddle. Tell that to the Italians.

How do closed training sessions even work?! They can’t train inside forever, I’m guessing they will need to train on the grounds outside at some point.
There are no closed sessions. They just called off the publiclized open session tomorrow night. But they have to still train and will do so in the morning.

Do you think the media should ignore the extraordinary measures that China and other countries have taken or the very very strong statements of concern from the world's medical organisations?

I have been in the camp that thinks this has been a massive overreaction. But I think I'm slowing moving to the other-side now.

When organisations such as the NBA call off the start of their season, then we have to take notice.

I don't consider it to be at an 'outbreak' stage here in Australia just yet. I can't name you one person I know who has it, or even someone who knows someone who has it. I'm also not fearful of the virus, as I don't believe it is any worse than a bad cold. But that probably means that we can take action now to stop it all together before it spreads out of control in this country.

I think the caution is warranted.

I'm from Italian decent and the majority of my family live in Milan. I can tell you that they are doing it pretty tough at the moment.

The real concern is that it will take years for a vaxine to come into effect, so next year might be even worse.

"When organisations such as the NBA call off the start of their season, then we have to take notice." From DAve86
Sorry Dave. We don't need to follow any lead from the US.
Their already minimal public health system has been gutted by Trump and they have no response mechanisms left. We should take our leads from countries with rational leadership. This is not to criticize your argument, just your choice of exemplars.

I have been in the camp that thinks this has been a massive overreaction. But I think I'm slowing moving to the other-side now.

When organisations such as the NBA call off the start of their season, then we have to take notice.

I don't consider it to be at an 'outbreak' stage here in Australia just yet. I can't name you one person I know who has it, or even someone who knows someone who has it. I'm also not fearful of the virus, as I don't believe it is any worse than a bad cold. But that probably means that we can take action now to stop it all together before it spreads out of control in this country.

I think the caution is warranted.

I'm from Italian decent and the majority of my family live in Milan. I can tell you that they are doing it pretty tough at the moment.

The real concern is that it will take years for a vaxine to come into effect, so next year might be even worse.

The toll it takes on the health care system is the real issue. I’d say the reason you and I don’t know anyone that’s contracted it and people we know don’t know anyone either is because of the lack of testing. As that ramps up the infection rate will rise and with that will come the decision to shut it all down.

Forethought’s timeline fits with my purely uneducated guess as to when the s**t hits the fan. If I’m being honest I’d say the club has been somewhat reactive to this point, but is starting to get ahead of it. Why any of the public would want to attend training is also beyond me. Imagine unwittingly being the person that gave it to a player and it then went through the playing list!

c2e8670e4361b3a720356ba1879a193e.jpg

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back