List Mgmt. The too early Jackson Edwards 2017 Draft Plan

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no doubt we will take him. He is a better prospect than Jarman was.
Jackson needs to win more of his own ball. At the moment he is a cheap outside player that doesnt have the speed or skillset to make it as an outside player at AFL level.
As others have said, its the same problem Aish and Toumpas had.
Aish is a soft utensil and a figjam all rolled into one.
Spot in cleric
Simon Black is who he should model is game on which will mean alot of work to do on his contested ball

Lets not forget Tom Boyd, Jack Watts, That Richmond dud we gave up a first for.
Reality is that draft picks are hit and miss. Thats why when I see so-called Crows supporters saying a second rounder is good enough for Cameron is just mind boggling. Saying pick 44 was value for Lyons.
Look at the last 5 years drafts and the top 10 taken each of those years, you will find half of them are not as good as Charlie Cameron. True replacement value for him is a top 10 pick, where we have a 50/50 chance of getting a player as good or better and a 50/50 chance of getting a dud like Toumpas or Aish.
also agree , can't believe how happy people would be with letting Cameron go for a 2nd rounder

No way in hell is that a good deal for us , a pick around 15 is about fair in this current draft and we should be always be trying to beat fair

Power's first rounder will be in that range, which Brisbane have I believe.

Brisbane's 2nd round looks like it'll probably be 19 (before academy / FS picks etc) which isn't that far off 15 anyway. But yeah, as we all know, his contracted status pushes his value much higher, so Port's 1st round would be a good outcome. Or should we pull a SOS and say 2 firsts or GTFO? :p

Back on topic, say theoretically that Cameron and Lever go (say, for the sake of argument, for pick 15 and pick 6 respectively) and McGovern stays. So we find ourselves holding a minimum of picks 6, 15 and 18 (assuming we win the flag :p). With Keath and Greenwood getting promoted, that's already 5 list changes (say Thommo, Cameron, Lever, Gore, CEY) just to get us to the end of the first round of the draft. If Edwards is rated a 3rd round pick is it possible we might not have a spot remaining on the list to draft him by the time the draft gets down to him? What happens in that case? He just slips past and we let him go?

That's obviously assuming we don't try to package 2 (or all 3) of those first round picks up into another trade for an earlier pick or another player.

Reality is that draft picks are hit and miss. Thats why when I see so-called Crows supporters saying a second rounder is good enough for Cameron is just mind boggling. Saying pick 44 was value for Lyons.
Look at the last 5 years drafts and the top 10 taken each of those years, you will find half of them are not as good as Charlie Cameron. True replacement value for him is a top 10 pick, where we have a 50/50 chance of getting a player as good or better and a 50/50 chance of getting a dud like Toumpas or Aish.

The worst part was both Aish and Toumpas had AFL form and had shown their credentials on the field but still posters yelled loudly to trade them in for high picks. Some people never actually see what's in front of them instead sprouting 'the AFC will change them,' as though we are the one team that has the magical formula to improve average footballers.(we're not !)
No problem trading for a disappointing player with a later pick as the price isn't going to hurt but some of the players that get spoken about each year leave you scratching your head.
I'm waiting for the calls to start again to trade for Watts... luckily for us Ty Vickery is now out the picture, it would have been 'extortion' at the highest level if we signed him in as some wanted.

Not sure if you're chronically overrating Cameron, or chronically underrating the value of draft picks. Probably both.

The true replacement value, for a player who averages 13-14 disposals per game, after 66 games, at 23 years of age, is a pick somewhere in the mid-late 20s.

Not sure if you're chronically overrating Cameron, or chronically underrating the value of draft picks. Probably both.

The true replacement value, for a player who averages 13-14 disposals per game, after 66 games, at 23 years of age, is a pick somewhere in the mid-late 20s.
Rioli would be a third rounder then considering he is older?

What about Talia he averages even less disposals would he get a 4th rounder?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What about Talia he averages even less disposals would he get a 4th rounder?
Like Rioli, Talia is a much, much better player than Cameron. Give it a rest. He's a bog average player, as far as his output is concerned. He's lightning quick - but burns the ball 80% of the time when he uses that pace. The only really positive aspect of his game is his defensive pressure - that wasn't enough to save Jared Petrenko, and it doesn't make Cameron worth a 1st round draft pick.

Like Rioli, Talia is a much, much better player than Cameron. Give it a rest. He's a bog average player, as far as his output is concerned. He's lightning quick - but burns the ball 80% of the time when he uses that pace. The only really positive aspect of his game is his defensive pressure - that wasn't enough to save Jared Petrenko, and it doesn't make Cameron worth a 1st round draft pick.
Cameron is anything but average. Has outstanding weapons. You keep looking at the stats sheet.

Half of the top 10 picks in the last 5 years are not as good as Charlie Cameron? Are you serious?

You've used Toumpas and Aish as examples, but have you looked at the top 10 of the 2012 and 2013 drafts?

1. Whitfield
2. O'Rourke
3. Plowman
4. Toumpas
5. Stringer
6. Macrae
7. Wines
8. Mayes
9. Vlastuin
10. Daniher

1. Boyd
2. Kelly
3. Billings
4. Bontempelli
5. Kolodjashnij
6. Scharenberg
7. Aish
8. McDonald
9. Salem
10. Freeman

What you are saying is 10 players from that list are not as good as Cameron. I'd love to know which ones.

I'd currently suggest 4 of those players aren't as good, with one of the 4 not having played AFL yet due to injuries. I'd also suggest maybe 1-2 others are on par.

also agree , can't believe how happy people would be with letting Cameron go for a 2nd rounder

No way in hell is that a good deal for us , a pick around 15 is about fair in this current draft and we should be always be trying to beat fair
If someone was silly enough to offer us pick 15 for Cameron I would take it and run away laughing.

Cameron is anything but average. Has outstanding weapons. You keep looking at the stats sheet.
No.. I keep watching games, and seeing him have no impact whatsoever.

He has weapons, but he doesn't use them to good effect. He doesn't get involved, frequently goes missing and rarely puts in more than a one-quarter cameo even when he does play well. He has extreme pace, but turns the ball over 80% of the time whenever he uses his pace. You can almost start a countdown when you see him get up to top speed - turnover coming in 3, 2, 1...

Cameron has the potential to be a very, very good footballer. He has outstanding weapons - I agree. The reality though is that he's not a very, very good footballer. He's not even a good footballer, by AFL standards. He's average, as his numbers and lack of impact on the game both attest. If he lived up to his potential, he'd be worth a 1st round pick every day of the week. He continually fails to achieve his potential, and that's why he's only worth a pick in the mid-late 20s.

But judging a player by impact on the game is fine. Cameron's impact on a game is minimal which is why he isn't worth a first round pick
Its like you think the vast amount of players taken in the first round are better than Cameron. Go look through the drafts. How has Pickett taken at pick 4 the same year we took Cameron going?

Half of the top 10 picks in the last 5 years are not as good as Charlie Cameron? Are you serious?

You've used Toumpas and Aish as examples, but have you looked at the top 10 of the 2012 and 2013 drafts?

1. Whitfield
2. O'Rourke
3. Plowman
4. Toumpas
5. Stringer
6. Macrae
7. Wines
8. Mayes
9. Vlastuin
10. Daniher

1. Boyd
2. Kelly
3. Billings
4. Bontempelli
5. Kolodjashnij
6. Scharenberg
7. Aish
8. McDonald
9. Salem
10. Freeman

What you are saying is 10 players from that list are not as good as Cameron. I'd love to know which ones.

I'd currently suggest 4 of those players aren't as good, with one of the 4 not having played AFL yet due to injuries. I'd also suggest maybe 1-2 others are on par.
Even your cherry picked years prove the point.
Freeman, Salem, Aish, Toumpas, Boyd, Scharenberg have all being weaker than Cameron. And Stringer cant even keep his first 22 position from week to week now.

Its like you think the vast amount of players taken in the first round are better than Cameron. Go look through the drafts. How has Pickett taken at pick 4 the same year we took Cameron going?

Well, Pickett was injured at GWS and didn't get games. Now that he has been traded to Carlton, he's looked alright. Probably a bit unfair to choose a player who has barely played or proven whether he is/isn't up to it.

But then you go back to the 2014 draft and see the first 10 picks:

1. McCartin
2. Petracca
3. Brayshaw
4. Pickett
5. De Goey
6. Marchbank
7. Ahern*
8. Wright
9. Moore
10. Cockatoo

*hasn't played due to ACL injuries

The only players that aren't as good as Cameron there are Pickett and Ahern. Ahern because he hasn't played due to ACL injuries, Pickett because he hasn't proven himself.

But with an 80% strike rate, you have a very good chance of picking up a great player like Petracca, De Goey, Wright or Marchbank

Cherry picking individual players doesn't build a case that "a vast amount of players" are worse than Cameron. Yes, clubs sometimes get picks wrong. Yes, you'll find drafts where 2 or 3 players failed to develop. You made a massive call that he's better than half of the top-10 draft picks, a call that is blatantly ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back