Health The Value of Jesus/God in Your Life

Remove this Banner Ad

the only person dictating and bashing others on the head is you, including insulting people. everyone else on both sides is having a decent debate. pull your head outta your ass.

Bugger off with your emoticons you worthless troll.

And take your immoral faith with you.

Get over yourself pal.

The way certain church elders treated my brother and I for years when we were younger more than qualifies me to make this statement.

Jog on you sanctimonious prick.

I am very sorry to hear that you and your brother were treated poorly. However, that sounds to me more like a problem with people's actions than a problem with Jesus' message.

The way certain church elders treated my brother and I for years when we were younger more than qualifies me to make this statement.

So getting burnt by an institution has both marked & tainted your view of religion then?....You recognise they are 2 separate things I hope.

You asked for proofs of God....If you knew as much about religion as you suggest, then you'd know that's a bridge too far.

I am very sorry to hear that you and your brother were treated poorly. However, that sounds to me more like a problem with people's actions than a problem with Jesus' message.

Had a decade of people hiding behind Jesus treating us like human garbage.

And then I come on here and have some grub troll me with his emoticons for having an opinion and ask legitimate questions.

Some (not all) people of faith have little care or idea of the harm they cause.

Last edited:

And then I come on here and have some grub troll me with his emoticons for having an opinion and ask legitimate questions.

Some (not all) peoplrevof faith have little care or idea of the harm they cause.

Dude...GG's emoticon is stuck on the sad setting by admin.

So getting burnt by an institution has both marked & tainted your view of religion then?....You recognise they are 2 separate things I hope.

You asked for proofs of God....If you knew as much about religion as you suggest, then you'd know that's a bridge too far.

And that is my point. I DO know the effing difference and I think it is immoral for society to be governed by people based on an unprovable mantra.

As I have repeatedly said, I have no issue as long as I am not impacted. But I am. In an allegedly secular society we have lawmakers basing their decisions on their religious beliefs and/or faith.

That is the problem I have if you relate it back to the title of the thread.

Some (not all) peoplrevof faith have little care or idea of the harm they cause.

Yes, I've also seen family members who attended a different church to my own get massively scarred by their experiences there. I don't know exactly what happened in your case (and don't want to pry or anything, so I won't ask), but the question that must always be asked is "Does what this person is saying match up with what God teaches us in the Bible?" For example, there are plenty of churches and leaders within them who are legalistic. They will often say to people in their church that they must do this, and they must do that, for otherwise they aren't a real Christian and they won't really be saved.

But when they say those things and bring in those laws and rules, they contradict God's word, as shown in Paul's letter to the Galatians. The only thing that matters for salvation is whether someone trusts in Jesus for their salvation. Sure, it's true that people with the Spirit working in them will change their attitudes and actions over time, but that's because they want to, not because the rules say it must be so.

Human selfishness is a grievous thing, and yet we still do it all the time.

And that is my point. I DO know the effing difference and I think it is immoral for society to be governed by people based on an unprovable mantra.

As I have repeatedly said, I have no issue as long as I am not impacted. But I am. In an allegedly secular society we have lawmakers basing their decisions on their religious beliefs and/or faith.

That is the problem I have if you relate it back to the title of the thread.

Hypocrisy exists in every walk of life, especially in religious institutions....Hence the parable of the Good Samaritan.

I've known plenty of non-believers & atheists who live a far more virtuous life than their supposedly religious kin.

The value of God & Jesus has everything to do with your own relationship to yourself.

When GG likes your post, the sad emoticon appears....He doesn't like posts that get personal.

So, rather than argue with me GG had every opportunity to explain this as I have commented on it on several occasions in this thread.

How odd.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hypocrisy exists in every walk of life, especially in religious institutions....Hence the parable of the Good Samaritan.

I've known plenty of non-believers & atheists who live a far more virtuous life than their supposedly religious kin.

The value of God & Jesus has everything to do with your own relationship to yourself.

And again, that is fine.

But in relation to the impact that faith has is broader society, it absolutely oversteps it’s mark.

That is all I am saying.

So, rather than argue with me GG had every opportunity to explain this as I have commented on it on several occasions in this thread.

How odd.

His like setting has been that way for over a month....Now you know, praise be enlightenment.

Personal trolling is not GG's style.

Correction.....i have a range of emoticons to use. I'm not stuck on sadface only.

The only thing admin have done to me disallow the ability to edit my own posts....and that is admittedly all my fault and deserved....tho its been about 3 years now to reprove im trustworthy. Still, if i have to deal with it forever then so be it.

In the past, we had only the ability to "like", so i "liked"...because I like to give, and because I have an addiction for it, and sure, I also like to annoy people. But really it's a way to say "I read your post, I gave you my time, appreciate your opinion be it for or against me." But now that we have the range to choose from, i can express myself more, just so happens its always sadface.

lastly, all reactions still give +1 to your reaction score...except dislike which gives +0. As in, the whole system has changed from LIKES and likes only giving +1 to now being called REACTIONS, which all give +1 regardless what type (except dislike), so it doesnt matter if someone sadfaces you or likes or angryfaces you, it's all +1.

And again, that is fine.

But in relation to the impact that faith has is broader society, it absolutely oversteps it’s mark.

That is all I am saying.

Faith is personal...It only over-steps it's mark when people try to dictate to others their own beliefs....but that is all they are, beliefs.

John Locke was at pains to point this out in his Letter on Toleration, after the English civil wars, where all the religious sects were at one another's throats.

He especially appealed to the Christin virtues of benevolence, modesty & charity, in seeking to quell the over zealousness of the mobs.

It's not a personal statement, people reading reactions the wrong way. Ok, most people might lolface you when you make a funny post. Or angryface you when you make a post that upset them, and otherwise not give a reaction. But my "reaction" is essentially just a message of good will that I have read your post and appreciate it. Because worse than not CONVERSING with someone is completely ignoring them and there being crickets. Debate and chat is always good. Communication. And I really don't care if people personally abuse me, etc. I enjoy it actually, get off on it, because it only means the other person is losing a debate, losing their s**t, triggered or out of their league in a debate. But, it's not nice to see OTHER people getting abused/insulted because they're not as tough as me.

In general I have found that church goers are the most judgmental people I have had anything to do with, a lot of them are do as jesus/god says people not what I do.

Given that man's inability to be sinless is a core tenet of Christianity, the latter part is hardly surprising.

Given that man's inability to be sinless is a core tenet of Christianity, the latter part is hardly surprising.

Indeed....But the point is to keep on getting back up onto the horse & try to be better the next time....To try & be a better person.... Again & again & again.

Christ is a metaphorical exemplar of the person we can TRY to be.... Of a paying homage to the best within ourselves.

Indeed....But the point is to keep on getting back up onto the horse & try to be better the next time....To try & be a better person.... Again & again & again.

Christ is a metaphorical exemplar of the person we can TRY to be.... Of a paying homage to the best within ourselves.

That sounds like a convoluted way of "as long as I show remorse, I will be forgiven for my actions". Such as touching children inappropriately.

Now, your response will be that Jesus & God don't control the actions of people however if the people who are the strongest lieutenants of Jesus & God cannot be trusted to stick immensely close to the script then what good is relying on religion and the church?

That sounds like a convoluted way of "as long as I show remorse, I will be forgiven for my actions". Such as touching children inappropriately.

Now, your response will be that Jesus & God don't control the actions of people however if the people who are the strongest lieutenants of Jesus & God cannot be trusted to stick immensely close to the script then what good is relying on religion and the church?

Really?....That's certainly not the context nor a scenario I had in mind, when I wrote it....Or did you just interpret it that way?!

Yes, it's rhetorical.

So far as institutional religion goes, then you're both asking the wrong person & barking up the wrong tree, if you're looking for a defence of it.

I took it more in the context that so long as you're trying to be like God, your faults are fine no matter what they are.
That seems to be a common thought amongst others, not necessarily you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back