Strategy the way ahead

Remove this Banner Ad

bigman

Premiership Player
Mar 29, 2004
All Parts
AFL Club
Adelaide
After seeing the first four rounds of football for both the seniors and the twos there is a need i think to prioritize the development of a number of players who will be in the side and key players for the foreseeable future. That means getting as many games into these boys as possible and occasionally playing some of the younger boys in the twos when they need a breather and reset as does happen from time to time.

The following players are keys:
Josh Rachelle
Riley Thilthorpe
Sam Berry
Brayden Cook
Jordan Dawson
Zac Taylor
Harry Shoenberg
Rory Laird
Lachlan Gollant
Jordan Butts
Wayne Milera Jr
Tom Doedee

These players could very well join this list if their development continues.
Jake Soligo
Luke Pedlar
Patrick Parnell
Luke Nankervis
Nick Murray
Fisher Mcasey
Will Hammil
Josh Worrell
James Borlase
Lachie Scholl
Kieren Strachan

These players are at the cross roads and need to start putting in performances that will see them move up to the two higher lists.
Chayce Jones
James Rowe
Shane Mcadam
Ned McHenry
Darcy Fogarty
Elliot Himmelberg
Andrew Mcpherson
Tariek Newchurch

These players i just cannot see making it as they have too many deficiencies in their game
Billy Frampton
Jackson Hately
Ben Davis

These players are good solid players but are limited in their skillet or capability whose time will likely finish when better, faster or more skilled and better decision making players come along:
Lachie Murphy
Ben Keays
Matt Crouch
Reilly Obrien

These players are close to retirement and will not be part of our next tilt:
Rory SLoane
Tex Walker
Luke Brown
Paul Seedsman
Brodie Smith

There will be disagreements i am sure over who should be in which list but the worry is there is no ruck there in the top group. I personally think Strauchnie has more upside and is in better form than Rob who is getting toweled up regularly in ruck work this year. I personally would play two rucks next week against Richmond and drop one of the smalls - Rowe, Murphy or McHenry given Rochelle is also playing that role atm.

Could Robs faltering performance in the back pocket in the last qr when Draper goaled be the result of him being exhausted and unable to compete effectively. Two rucks could have altered that and be faire for Rob to be able to compete.

Last edited by a moderator:

Harsh on Keays, whilst he certainly has his deficiencies, I think he has enough to offer to be a player you can feel comfortable has a future going forward.
Possibly Dewy. however His poor kicking skills cost us time and time again. Unless he can continue to improve this part of his game i cannot see him being in our best team and tilting at the flag.

So does Rowe and he's doing it in the AFL for a 2nd year player
Rowey makes some poor decisions when in and around ball at key times. He cost us dearly twice on the weekend for example when the ball had to be won in tight. He let the ball get out by a fumble and poor decision making.

I just don't see Milera's place in the first group. Even when not injured, he never seemed more than a tease.

If he can consistently play like his highlights reel, he'll be a Brownlow winner.

But so will almost every other player in the league.

After seeing the first four rounds of football for both the seniors and the twos there is a need i think to prioritize the development of a number of players who will be in the side and key players for the foreseeable future. That means getting as many games into these boys as possible and occasionally playing some of the younger boys in the twos when they need a breather and reset as does happen from time to time.

Josh Rachelle
Riley Thilthorpe
Sam Berry
Brayden Cook
Jordan Dawson
Zac Taylor
Harry Shoenberg
Rory Laird
Lachlan Gollant
Jordan Butts
Wayne Milera Jr
Tom Doedee

Jake Soligo
Luke Pedlar
Patrick Parnell
Luke Nankervis
Nick Murray
Fisher Mcasey
Will Hammil
Josh Worrell
James Borlase
Lachie Scholl
Kieren Strachan

These players are at the cross roads and need to start putting in performances that will see them move up to the two higher lists.
Chayce Jones
James Rowe
Shane Mcadam
Ned McHenry
Darcy Fogarty
Elliot Himmelberg
Andrew Mcpherson
Tariek Newchurch

These players i just cannot see making it as they have too many deficiencies in their game
Billy Frampton
Jackson Hately
Ben Davis

These players are good solid players but are limited in their skillet or capability whose time will likely finish when better, faster or more skilled and better decision making players come along:
Lachie Murphy
Ben Keays
Matt Crouch
Reilly Obrien

Rory SLoane
Tex Walker
Luke Brown
Paul Seedsman
Brodie Smith

There will be disagreements i am sure over who should be in which list but the worry is there is no ruck there in the top group. I personally think Strauchnie has more upside and is in better form than Rob who is getting toweled up regularly in ruck work this year. I personally would play two rucks next week against Richmond and drop one of the smalls - Rowe, Murphy or McHenry given Rochelle is also playing that role atm.

Could Robs faltering performance in the back pocket in the last qr when Draper goaled be the result of him being exhausted and unable to compete effectively. Two rucks could have altered that and be faire for Rob to be able to compete.
Love your insights bigman . You’ve pretty much nailed it I rekon .

Very good assessment.

From your top list, I am unsure about Taylor, haven't seen him. Milera to the crossroads list and Murphy upgraded to the crossroads list.

McAsey and McPherson I've written off. Not good enough.

I would like to see Thilthorpe given a run in the Ruck at AFL level in place of ROB who is out of form/not giving enough at the moment. Thilthorpe has the potential to play like another midfielder but has the build and height to compete just as well in the hitouts and if he can't fit in the current forward line while Himmelberg is (rightly) being given a chance and Tex still demands a spot, then see what he can do in ruck.

I would like to see Doedee given a crack in the midfield asap. His role in the backline could be filled by any number of players, including Milera. He seems like the type that would adapt, similarly to Laird, to what is required of him and a big body in that midfield that has more upside than the likes of Keays and Crouch is what we are crying out for.

Berry straight in to the midfield to accompany Schoenberg and give these guys more minutes in there, but still develop their forward craft so they don't become one dimensional like our current midfield is.

Back in Himmelberg to play up forward along side Tex. He has shown enough and he offers the option of playing a 2nd Ruck role. He may not be far away from joining the "key player" list. Fogarty will need to demand his position back by dominating at SANFL level.

So our next finals tilt side at this stage is almost half full of those who have shown they have the talent and application for the high level required?

B: Doedee Butts ?
HB: ? ? ?
C: Cook Laird Dawson
HF: Rachelle Thilthorpe ?
F: Gollant ? ?
R: ? ? Schoenberg
I: Berry ? ? ?

Of these I get a feeling Berry, Doedee, Rachelle and Thilthorpe (as ruck) could impact our midfield and no reason to think Dawson and Cook couldn't transfer to inside neither with good size and skills.

I'd like to think a few more of the question marks are filled by players currently on the list and improving. Even if they have been in the system for a number of years such as Milera, Jones, Murray and Fogarty - but maybe not.

A priority this off season of trading in another midfielder the quality of Dawson and perhaps there will be room to add another high quality Westies tall forward to the list in the Draft. Someone to help out Butts would also be good, if an existing player on the list doesn't step up by the end of the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rowey makes some poor decisions when in and around ball at key times. He cost us dearly twice on the weekend for example when the ball had to be won in tight. He let the ball get out by a fumble and poor decision making.

But then at other times he makes critically good decisions in traffic. The handball out to Berg for a key last quarter goal against the Power and example that springs to mind.

Overall I think Rowe has started the year well and am a little baffled by the amount of negativity he has gotten. And yes I saw one fumble in particular late, under pressure that was costly and he should have done better

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I just don't see Milera's place in the first group. Even when not injured, he never seemed more than a tease.

If he can consistently play like his highlights reel, he'll be a Brownlow winner.

The game stops for Milera. He has something very special. We do need for him to get over his injuries though. I remember Robbie Gray doing his knee and looking for a while like he would be an unfulfilled talent - and then he got right and has spent the last 8-9 years dominating showdowns

Even in round 1 there were times where people just seemed to move out of his way. Sits in our top 5 talents in my view

Very good assessment.

From your top list, I am unsure about Taylor, haven't seen him. Milera to the crossroads list and Murphy upgraded to the crossroads list.

McAsey and McPherson I've written off. Not good enough.

I would like to see Thilthorpe given a run in the Ruck at AFL level in place of ROB who is out of form/not giving enough at the moment. Thilthorpe has the potential to play like another midfielder but has the build and height to compete just as well in the hitouts and if he can't fit in the current forward line while Himmelberg is (rightly) being given a chance and Tex still demands a spot, then see what he can do in ruck.

I would like to see Doedee given a crack in the midfield asap. His role in the backline could be filled by any number of players, including Milera. He seems like the type that would adapt, similarly to Laird, to what is required of him and a big body in that midfield that has more upside than the likes of Keays and Crouch is what we are crying out for.

Berry straight in to the midfield to accompany Schoenberg and give these guys more minutes in there, but still develop their forward craft so they don't become one dimensional like our current midfield is.

Back in Himmelberg to play up forward along side Tex. He has shown enough and he offers the option of playing a 2nd Ruck role. He may not be far away from joining the "key player" list. Fogarty will need to demand his position back by dominating at SANFL level.

So our next finals tilt side at this stage is almost half full of those who have shown they have the talent and application for the high level required?

B: Doedee Butts ?
HB: ? ? ?
C: Cook Laird Dawson
HF: Rachelle Thilthorpe ?
F: Gollant ? ?
R: ? ? Schoenberg
I: Berry ? ? ?

Of these I get a feeling Berry, Doedee, Rachelle and Thilthorpe (as ruck) could impact our midfield and no reason to think Dawson and Cook couldn't transfer to inside neither with good size and skills.

I'd like to think a few more of the question marks are filled by players currently on the list and improving. Even if they have been in the system for a number of years such as Milera, Jones, Murray and Fogarty - but maybe not.

A priority this off season of trading in another midfielder the quality of Dawson and perhaps there will be room to add another high quality Westies tall forward to the list in the Draft. Someone to help out Butts would also be good, if an existing player on the list doesn't step up by the end of the year.

If no one steps up for that back role then Charlie Ballard or Brennan Cox should be targets to bring back home - would slot in nicely to our set up

Josh Rachelle
Riley Thilthorpe
Sam Berry
Brayden Cook
Jordan Dawson
Zac Taylor
Harry Shoenberg
Rory Laird
Lachlan Gollant
Jordan Butts
Wayne Milera Jr
Tom Doedee

Jake Soligo
Luke Pedlar
Patrick Parnell
Luke Nankervis
Nick Murray
Fisher Mcasey
Will Hammil
Josh Worrell
James Borlase
Lachie Scholl
Kieren Strachan

Chayce Jones
James Rowe
Shane Mcadam
Ned McHenry
Darcy Fogarty
Elliot Himmelberg
Andrew Mcpherson
Tariek Newchurch

Billy Frampton
Jackson Hately
Ben Davis

Lachie Murphy
Ben Keays
Matt Crouch
Reilly Obrien

Rory SLoane
Tex Walker
Luke Brown
Paul Seedsman
Brodie Smith

Great summary and the core of your lists and argument is spot on. We need to start separating the wheat from the chaff so we get 50-70 games into the right group

I'm with you, promises a lot but has rarely delivered or lived up to expectations to date.

Harsh on Keays, whilst he certainly has his deficiencies, I think he has enough to offer to be a player you can feel comfortable has a future going forward.
I can see Keays has a future but when he has the ball in hand the last thing I feel is comfort

Good write up Bigman.

The only thing I would disagree with is your assessment of Keayes. I think every club has a player like that. The problem is we have at least 3 of them. Throw Sloane and Crouch into the trash first though, they're done. Keayes is well back in the queue for the chopping block imo.

Good write up Bigman.

The only thing I would disagree with is your assessment of Keays. I think every club has a player like that. The problem is we have at least 3 of them. Throw Sloane and Crouch into the trash first though, they're done. Keays is well back in the queue for the chopping block imo.
Yep, I'd be offloading Crouch for whatever we can get for him.

I think Keays is actually still on the improve. There was a goal last round where he looked composed, faked a kick, evaded a player, then snapped a goal. Didn’t see him do that kind of stuff in his earlier games with us. If he’s improving with gathering disposals, I think he can also improve in his goal kicking and forward craft as well. He deserves every bit to be on our regular side as forever long he’s contributing the way he is now.

Milera is also a proven player but needs to be allowed time to settle back from recurring seasons of injuries. His kicking is one of the best in our team and has a lot of X factor when in full flight.

I wish to see more of McAdam because he’s not afraid to crash packs and jump into opponents. If he can get more consistent and get more goals/disposals, he’s got the speed and talent to do some real damage. Will add good versatility to our forward line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back