Sliding doors - worrying signs and the way ahead

Remove this Banner Ad

Irrelevant. It's the percentage accuracy related to the degree of difficulty that counts. The eye test is a good indicator.
Irrelevant? Huh? We have been consistently the highest scoring team all season, so yes that is very relevant and is clearly our major strength. We need to improve on scores conceded (93 in losses), even just a couple of goals improvement there and we win a heck of a lot more games this year. Has been a lot of interruptions down back this year that haven’t helped, but I expect with more games under the belt guys like Murray/Worrell/Keane/Butts etc will all improve.

Irrelevant? Huh? We have been consistently the highest scoring team all season, so yes that is very relevant and is clearly our major strength. We need to improve on scores conceded (93 in losses), even just a couple of goals improvement there and we win a heck of a lot more games this year. Has been a lot of interruptions down back this year that haven’t helped, but I expect with more games under the belt guys like Murray/Worrell/Keane/Butts etc will all improve.
It's irrelevant to the posed question on goalkicking improvement.

Everything you say is true, but does not address the question. I firmly believe that we must improve our goalkicking accuracy, especially from intermediate distances.

Everything you say is true, but does not address the question. I firmly believe that we must improve our goalkicking accuracy, especially from intermediate distances.
Can always improve any part of your game, but goal kicking is a long way down on the list of priorities as it’s already at an elite level. Improvement in our defensive capabilities will lead to more wins next season, not a marginal increase in already the most potent forward line in the league. If we can’t improve our defense, history says we won’t win the flag, the stats on this are pretty clear cut (it’s not too far off being in that premiership window, which is why I think we are very close to making top 4 consistently). Without umpire error, we are going at 3-3 in games decided by less than a goal this year, which is perfectly acceptable.

Can you go higher than number one in the league for goals (Brisbane only overtook in the most recent game)?
How many games did we lose this year despite having more scoring shots than our opponents due to our own inaccuracy? 4? 5? I suspect we'd be pretty close to number one in the league for that, too.

How many games did we lose this year despite having more scoring shots than our opponents due to our own inaccuracy? 4? 5? I suspect we'd be pretty close to number one in the league for that, too.
I think the problem is more related to shitting the bed than pure goalkicking accuracy.

In games where the pressure is off we seemed to kick pretty straight.

Same with most of our failed comebacks we've kicked a streak of goals until we just about catch them up and then it's back to missing easy shots. The last two games have been perfect examples.

Coming out flat in several of those eight point games (Essendon, GWS at home, Sydney) also supports the view of us not dealing very well with expectation.

I’ve made my thoughts quite clear on where our major improvement comes (defense)
Girl Why Dont We Have Both GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RT lift his game further?

He's hardly got off the ground yet...needs a big injection of hardness if he wants to be the player he should be with his talent base.
I feel uncomfortable with the comparison but the name Jack Watts pops into my head sometimes watching him. RT should be so good as he has excellent skills. He just can't find the footy enough yet. Maybe it's still too soon?

In an overall better year, RT not keeping up with the squad just now. Hope this turns as he could become the difference going forward.

Our set shots have been often a problem this year.

But in close games when the pressure is on, our shot selection has been very poor. More composure and less panicked shots anytime within range. Making one more pass in our 50 is what we should train this summer.

There are only 3 teams who have kicked more points than goals this year. Adelaide is one of those teams. The other 2 being Freo and GC.
It needs to be fixed regardless

That’s not correct at all - at least they way I interpret what you are saying

NO team has kicked more goals than points for the year. Adelaide have kicked 302.258. There are plenty of teams with worse records with West Coast and The Bulldogs being closest to 50% accuracy.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

That’s not correct at all - at least they way I interpret what you are saying

NO team has kicked more goals than points for the year. Adelaide have kicked 302.258. There are plenty of teams with worse records with West Coast and The Bulldogs being closest to 50% accuracy.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Screenshot_20230826_083141_Chrome.jpg
I was going off this which now seems wrong in every way possible

I can pretty much guarantee that by preseason next year, we will have forgotten Slowne's performances and think he's the gun mid we build around. We seem to have our memory wiped every summer.

he'll be tearing up the track, refreshed, rejuvenated, energised. And once he's selected for a preseason tune up, he's in for the season. We saw how our coaching group went to water at the thought of having the word 'omitted' next to his name. Another 8 months and poorer form doesn't change cultural imperatives, protecting Sloane's ego will still be more important than giving the other 22 players the best chance of success. That's just how our club rolls.

Thilthorpe has just turned 21 last month and this was his first full year of football. Big men take longer, give him some time.
Matt Crouch had to improve and did, that's why he was selected.
Pedlar has completed 1 Pre-season but should double his midfield time next year
Fog was much better when there wasn't fumbling and bumbling at half back

Zac Taylor, Pedlar, Soligo, Dawson and Schoenberg should all play together next year.

Ruckmen and backmen will be our targets at the draft

that would be depressing. Dawson is an A+ grade mid, Rankine could be too, but the coaches are too scared to try in a meaningful way. Schoey and Sog form part of a good 6 man rotation, in the 5th and 6th spots. Taylor looks depth at this stage and Rachele is a bit iffy, could go either way. At a minimum we need 1 more Dawson level and 1 just underneath. Laird and Crouch are placeholders. Pedlar is a jet, but we need to see that he can build his tank and remain uninjured.

Drafting for anything other than midfield with our first would be stupidity.

Last edited:
love the Mackay one, handballs to a player running past and just watches the oppo one step behind him. Don't put a block on mate.
My "fave" (among many :rolleyes:) is Lever being held down by one arm in the marking contest @ 0.35.
That, or Eddie being held in the goal square in the second quarter @ 3.15 <== the Coach's rationale behind this is "If you don't hold him, he goals. If the free is paid, maybe he misses the kick for goal. If you get away with it, you've saved a goal". Hardwick Footy 101.

The illegal arm-holding, pushes-in-the-back, fouls-after-disposal were a feature of Richmond's game, drilled into them by that grub Hardwick who played the same way. The Fairytale Richmond-must-win FIX to enable them was in from the opening bounce.

Hardwick (who fled Richmond mid-season like a rat off a sinking ship) will play that clip to his GCS players behind closed doors asap with the preface: "Watch, and LEARN".
It'll be a feature of their game in 2024 and going forward.

Please watch this (it's only 6 minutes) and draw your own conclusions:

Absolutely disgusting. I wouldn't mind doing the same analysis of the 2012 prelim final. Hard to believe, but I reckon that one was worse.

Port better hope that if they make the GF they aren't playing a Vic team.

Most corrupted sporting competition on the planet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back